October 27, 1967, Mission To Hanoi: VA-196 A-6A (12/26 Update)

Peter,

Thanks! It sure is a rewarding build so far, and despite the relative lack of aftermarket it seems like Trumpeter has taken pride in offering this kit, from its detail, fit, and accuracy.

Cheers, Tom

Great Work Tom! I love the Plumbing department coming to the rescue! A sure sign of a talented and resourceful modeler. :) Your front office there looks very capable and well detailed my friend! Great work!  :) 

I finally got my camera issues fixed and posted some more pics. Man I hate computer issues.!  But I LOOOOOVVVEEEEE building models! 

Paul 

Tom, I really like the splash of color in your cockpit with that orange cusion on ejection seats ;)

Mike, thanks! I've seen some varied opinions about when they were this color with the early Intruders, but I received confirmation from someone who strapped into them!

Cheers, Tom

Busy week, but I've managed to make a little progress. I assembled the nose wheel well, the central keel assembly, the exhausts, and put the fuselage halves together. The fit so far has been amazing, and the assembly of the ventral fuselage has been problem-free so far. We'll see how it goes with the rest of the assembly. In the meantime, the fit of the fuselage halves on the dorsal side has been better than I've seen in a long time, comparable to a Tamiya or WNW assembly. Even so, I added reinforcing strips to the inside to add a little strength. Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,  Tom

790b86fc-ef8f-47bd-8c49-ed8443b21b27_zps

88c48abb-71e3-460e-b1a4-d665048b218d_zps

eff962a3-0155-4c0f-a386-957b4922a3f4_zps

877e20ee-05a7-4ff7-b641-e7dab28daa75_zps

be7f48ba-ecbe-43ef-90e6-ac0f1fe2aaa4_zps

Edited by Uncarina

Harvey,

Thanks! It strikes me that aircraft of this era had some unconventional shapes, whether its the cokebottle of the Thud fuselage, or the broad taper of the Intruder! In any case, I'm having a lot of fun with this build, and I really enjoy learning more about the aircraft and their aircrew.

Cheers,  Tom

Nice work on the Intruder. One tip I've found while dry fitting the wings. The clips on the wing tabs need to be filed off or once they clip, they're there!!! It is a very sold build. My first build flew for about 4 feet, landed inverted and nothing really broke! 150lb Rottweiler is no longer allowed in the shop!

Great progress.

Paul

Really nice Progress on the A-6 Tom!  I'll be putting an A-6 detail photo collection online on Photobucket later today, I'll give you the info on the link when I have it in PM. Your Intruder is looking really nice!  :popcorn:  :thumbsup: 

Paul 

Nice work on the Intruder. One tip I've found while dry fitting the wings. The clips on the wing tabs need to be filed off or once they clip, they're there!!! It is a very sold build. My first build flew for about 4 feet, landed inverted and nothing really broke! 150lb Rottweiler is no longer allowed in the shop!

Great progress.

Paul

Paul, thanks for the tip! Your episode proves that this was something produced by Grumman Ironworks!

Cheers,  Tom