RF-4B

Yep, I agree. Sometimes it's the small things that make a build stand out. And yours, sir, will stand out !........Harv :popcorn:

Looking nice Paul 

I know on my project I am not looking forward to the scribe  part. That part always makes me nervous for some reason  :shrug: (my lack of experience I guess)  :wub:

Teresa  :)

Teresa,

Use a self adhesive plastic edge (Dymo tape) or something that can be taped in place to scribe along (I actually cut strips from the thick transparent plastic covers of manual binders).

Start your scribing very lightly and progressively apply slightly more pressure as you go over it again (essentially, make sure that a line is established before you attempt to deepen it).

Make purpose designed scribing templates for curves and other awkward bits that need to be 'handed'  or for multiple removeable panels (plastic binder cover material is good for this as well).

If you have a complete scribing disaster, I always find that talcum powder and super glue (Cynoacrylate) gets you out of jail here (it sets in a short time, does not shrink and sands easily compared to straight super glue - it also has the aded bonus of smelling nice!...It has saved my butt on many occasions).

HTH

Derek

Last week my goal was to get the intakes on. One day I'm going to order some intake covers!! :shrug: One good thing about the white intakes, just weather and install! I hate painting intake trunks. The Eduard exhaust set is a very detailed set but are based on USAF Phantoms. I added some round stock to push the blades back to get more depth and accuracy. With the inner ramp installed in went the intakes. Still I must say there is some work to get the intakes lined up depended on your resin and how true they are.

0032.jpg

0074.jpg

0114.jpg

Lastnight I figured I would thin the wings down. Like mentioned before with resin, I wanted to keep as must of the kit wing as possable. I've seen this done before and is the better method. I rounded off the bumps over the gear strut and deleted lines that were Thick wing to those found on the thinner one. The resin wing half has the lines for the bigger wheel well. Hopefully these corrections are close enough LSP work!  :punk:

0016.jpg

0027.jpg

0065.jpg

Paul

Paul,

Great work on the Wing Surgery!  I think you are going to be shocked and amazed like the rest of us when you step back and look at what you've done at the end of this Group Build. I know I get focused on the details and I cant really see the big picture when I am bulding, but man we can! :)

Keep it up!

Paul

Thanks Paul. I am having a ton to fun with this group. All projects entered are all the things I want to build and watch being built. I'm amazed I can stay focused on my build!

Paul

Lastnight I figured I would thin the wings down. Like mentioned before with resin, I wanted to keep as must of the kit wing as possable. I've seen this done before and is the better method. I rounded off the bumps over the gear strut and deleted lines that were Thick wing to those found on the thinner one. The resin wing half has the lines for the bigger wheel well. Hopefully these corrections are close enough LSP work!  :punk:

0016.jpg

0027.jpg

0065.jpg

Paul

Great work Paul - I am doing something pretty similar for an F-4B conversion set at the moment (the top part is the easiest part to do).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

The top is allot easier. I did the bottom by using a flat piece of stock in the speed brake well and leveled everything off that! The big hurdle should be good wheel wells! The thick wing has little tabs or rivet on the top of the well but the thin doesn't! I'd be totally up for a complete conversion with all the changes!

Paul

Great work Paul - I am doing something pretty similar for an F-4B conversion set at the moment (the top part is the easiest part to do).

Derek

The top is allot easier. I did the bottom by using a flat piece of stock in the speed brake well and leveled everything off that! The big hurdle should be good wheel wells! The thick wing has little tabs or rivet on the top of the well but the thin doesn't! I'd be totally up for a complete conversion with all the changes!

Paul

Thanks Paul; I hope that it will come out OK? (I am using the same reference book as you are).

I am certain that your conversion will look fantastic, so I am looking forward to seeing it develop.

Derek

A little work on the bottom wing today. I was going to use the resin parts from the conversion set but may jump in with the F-4B I was originally going to build for this GB. This modification for the bottom wing and fuselage really is not to difficult. I start with a flat speed brake and work myself from that!

0017.jpg

0035.jpg

I plan on doing a little detail work on the gear wells with a new cross brase and gear locks. Just the little areas that are found for the thin wing. The side walls for the wells can easily be thinned. If you look at them you can see where to cut, like Tamiya had this planned!

0055.jpg

0044.jpg

0075.jpg

Since I'll have to do this again soon and I feel like I'm far enough ahead I'll jump in with the VF-111 F-4B but with less detail!

Go Phantoms!

Paul