Kittyhawk 1/32 T-6G Texan

LSP_Kevin

The spare set of decals from Ron arrived on Friday - thanks Ron! So today I enacted Plan B for getting the cowl decals on. This involved cutting up the large, single decal into equidistant strips and applying them individually. Well, it was a good theory, but unfortunately reality has thwarted me once again:

x3EnUq.jpg

The main issue is the nearly complete inability to move the decals around once they land on the model, so placing them with any real precision is nearly impossible. The first piece I laid down went on at a slight angle - and this was after 3 separate attempts to get it on. By the time I got to the 3rd piece, with each getting harder to align than the previous one, things were starting to look a right mess, and I knew I was on a hiding to nothing. So at this point I gave up, and will have to go to Plan C. This will involve painting the red-and-white strips, and using on the blue-and-white sections from the decals. I hope Saul's decals arrive soon, because I'll need 'em!

Oh, and in attempting to remove the 3 panels I'd put on, I managed to crack one of the cowling seams. :BANGHEAD2:  These decals perform really well if you can get them into position, and suck down beautifully even without any decal solvent. Which means they're the devil to remove if you need to!

Kev

I am so looking forward to the two kits I have in the mail...... Fortunately I will make my own swedish Sk 16B decals so I don't have to worry about that cowling....

Great build btw :)

Edited by AndersN

Thanks Kevin. Reading this thread has been illustrating. I'm still very happy that there is a Texan in 1/32 scale. It needs some TLC and I'm sure it will look fine. Yours is looking great!

Ed

Hi 

I follow your job from the beginning , it's a great job indeed . If you allow me , this paint scheme is a real challenge because of the decals , and as you said , you should have to paint the red and white stripes AND the blue ring too .I don't know the size of the stars , but I think you could find some dry transfer to replace them . Take a look on US armor dry transfer stars as ARCHER ref : AR3502W for example

Your work is worth it

bye Alain    

Hmm, interesting. actually when i look at that decal now, the red and white bands are perfectly parallel, which means it could only ever fit onto a cylinder shape, not onto the widening shape of a cowling like the Harvard. So - unfortunately you have been the pathfinder for this bad decal! At best you can cut out the stars and use them, but I think the only way to go hyere for you is to soak that part and see if you can scrape the decal off again. then do a white , then mask off  so that you can do the red bands, and that masking will be a task in itself - etc etc

So - its no fault of yours what has happened.

I hope Saul's decals arrive soon, because I'll need 'em!

I have no idea how long it takes from NY, USA to you Kev but I hope it is soon.  Having the spare sheet (before you remove the decals which are on)  You may want to consider cutting the new sheet into slivers and cover the gaps of your previous effort.

Regards,

On 3/16/2014 at 7:54 AM, sharkmouth said:

You may want to consider cutting the new sheet into slivers and cover the gaps of your previous effort.

Thanks Saúl, but it is indeed too late. If you want to remove these decals, you have to do it immediately. I was able to one whole panel off, but the first two had already bedded down after only 30 minutes, and even the old tape trick wasn't working. This is where it's currently at:

ISbxHa.jpg

You can see how well they've settled into all the rivet detail. If I wasn't so frustrated I'd be really impressed! Anyway, they had to come off because they weren't on straight and nothing was parallel like it should be. I knew that by the time I got all the way around, it was going to look pretty awful.

Kev

Boy, Kevin, if'n it was me, I'd paint the cowl white, mask and paint the red stripes. Someone should be able to make you masks for the stars. Apply the star masks to the cowl and then paint the blue. Remove the star masks and you're done. A final clear coat and a rubbing down with mirco-mesh polishing cloths if necessary will finish 'er off nicely. A little bit of extra work maybe but a lot less frustrating than ill fitting decals.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks for checking in guys. To be fair, the cowl decals probably fit quite well if you could get them into position. After all, the rudder decals did. But dealing with the cowl decal is whole different kettle of fish. The main issue isn't the fit per se, but positioning them when you can't really slide them around. Anyway, I soaked the cowl in some Windex for 10 minutes, after which some scrubbing with a few cotton buds saw off the remainder of the decals. This is one of the reasons I laid down a coat or two of Future first!

Boy, Kevin, if'n it was me, I'd paint the cowl white, mask and paint the red stripes. Someone should be able to make you masks for the stars. Apply the star masks to the cowl and then paint the blue. Remove the star masks and you're done. A final clear coat and a rubbing down with mirco-mesh polishing cloths if necessary will finish 'er off nicely.

Thanks Wolf. I will indeed be painting the red and white stripes, but I'm not sure about the stars. If someone is willing or able to help me out with some masks, I'd be wiling to give it a go, but I don't want it to be a major hold-up for the project.

Kev

Thanks for checking in guys. To be fair, the cowl decals probably fit quite well if you could get them into position. After all, the rudder decals did. But dealing with the cowl decal is whole different kettle of fish. The main issue isn't the fit per se, but positioning them when you can't really slide them around. Anyway, I soaked the cowl in some Windex for 10 minutes, after which some scrubbing with a few cotton buds saw off the remainder of the decals. This is one of the reasons I laid down a coat or two of Future first!

Thanks Wolf. I will indeed be painting the red and white stripes, but I'm not sure about the stars. If someone is willing or able to help me out with some masks, I'd be wiling to give it a go, but I don't want it to be a major hold-up for the project.

Kev

Hey Kev......as was mentioned earlier, if you have a hobby/craft store around like we have here in the US (Hobby Lobby) the have all sizes of star "stickers" for kids that I'm sure would be an easy mask solution for the stars if you have such a place

Thanks again fellas. Cowling has been given 3 light coats of Tamiya Fine Surfacer White. It gives a great result, but seems to take forever to cure to a usable hardness. This is definitely one area where Mr Surfacer has an advantage, but I don't think their white Surfacer performs as well as the Tamiya one, or their own greys for that matter. Anyway, once I can't smell it any more, I'll start masking it up for the red stripes.

Hey Kev......as was mentioned earlier, if you have a hobby/craft store around like we have here in the US (Hobby Lobby) the have all sizes of star "stickers" for kids that I'm sure would be an easy mask solution for the stars if you have such a place

Thanks Brian. You'll have to believe me when I say I actually don't have the time or opportunity to get out and look! Besides, I'm pretty sure we don't have stores like that here. I had a quick look online for such a thing, but they were all too big. The stars on the decal sheet are around 2.5mm across the shoulder, so I'm not even sure if masks could be cut that small.

Once I've got the stripes done, I intend to seal them with Alclad Gloss Kote, followed by a couple of coats of Future. This means that, should the application of the star decals go badly, I can soak them off with Windex without damaging the painted stripes (which the Windex would otherwise remove without the enamel clear coat for protection). If I were using masks, I'd leave the nose of the cowl white, but I suspect it might be prudent to paint it Insignia Blue when using the decals, just to help hide gaps and misalignments. I'm just a bit concerned that the blue would then noticeably darken the white stars.

Anyway, this battle ain't over yet!

Kev