Kittyhawk 1/32 T-6G Texan

LSP_Kevin

I would cut the red/white part into a strip then into sections and install one at a time. Same for the blue with stars. I would spray the nose blue then put on the blue with stars a section at a time or maybe even cut the stars loose with a blue surround and position each as you choose.

I assembled my wing center section as a unit then attached it to the fuselage and I had no issues. I think much of this kits problems are over engineering. Trim the locator tabs off and take your time. It can be built. I have finished worse!  Just a shame it is not an AT-6 of WW II usage or not a true T-6G as used for spotting in Korea. Even having it as a correct French Moroccan used aircraft would have been nice. It is obvious now that Kitty Hawk cares little for correct research or accuracy in their products. They will have to release something very special for me to buy another of their products.

Mike

Like Mike, I won't be using mine and they do seem like nice decals if you can whip them into behaving!  If you want them, send a PM with your postal address and I will send them out.

Regards,

PM on its way!

Kev

PS You are welcome to my decals as well.

Thanks again for the offer Mike. On reflection I might take you up on it. I had my heart set on the stars-and-stripes scheme, and I figure if I have enough spares to replace any stuff-ups, I might just be able to make it work. Even if I don't revert to that scheme, I suspect any spare decals will still come in handy!

Kev

I am confused Kev as to why you needed to clamp the center section? I just put a bit of solvent in the center section for the fuselage tabs  and inserted the fuselage , then I glued the wing s to the fuselage at the top surface wing root  and all was good.

Mike

In the end I only clamped it top-to-bottom Mike, as I had some trouble keeping the lower forward section in place, represented by the part in between the wheel wells. What I was trying to say is that if I'd glued the forward section first and held/pushed the wings in from the side, I reckon I would have been able to eliminate the poor fit through the wheel bay. I think a much of the trouble I'm having is of my own making, so I don't really blame the kit for most of it.

Kev

Apparently, KH's development work was based on the T-6 you had chosen, Kev, a warbird. So sticking to this scheme is a sure way for accuracy !

Hubert

Ps: the T-6G were reconstructed from earlier airframes of AT-6 C/D, or SNJs, and given new serials. However, no record was made of which earlier serial became the new (T-6G) one. And not all airframes built were rebuilt to T-6G standard

So, in the end, the original "Deb" TA-349, may very well be an original AT-6 (C or D - I have not checked the serial number) with a new T-6 G canopy. In which case the instrument panels and seats are OK. You just have to know you are modelling a warbird.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Apparently, KH's development work was based on the T-6 you had chosen, Kev, a warbird. So sticking to this scheme is a sure way for accuracy !

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. I still swapped out the cowling panel in error though!

Kev

Kevin,  great work so far on dealing with all that has happened so far.  I have since dug mine out and have started on it.  I am wanting to do a NMF on mine so a majority of the kit decals I won't use and it sounds like you have gotten the sets you need for yours from other LSP members.  The one thing I have found out on starting on the cockpit and engine was to remove all locating tabs or pins to get alignment correct. Keep up the good work.  Dan 

The one thing I have found out on starting on the cockpit and engine was to remove all locating tabs or pins to get alignment correct.

Yeah, I reckon that's a pretty good idea. Treat the kit like a short-run one, and take nothing for granted. The two finished examples I've seen so far prove that it can be made into a great-looking model, so I'm sure many of the issues we're seeing here are of my own creation. That's just what happens when you're a hack!

Kev