1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Thanks once again chaps blush.png

Progress is a little slower than I'd like as it's the usual mayhem at the end of the school year so time at the bench is a little limited at the moment.

I've made a start on scratch-building the radiator but nothing worthy of pictures as of yet... I've also begun some preliminary work on the exhaust manifolds which will be very visible parts of the engine with the cowling off - the exhausts themselves sit very proud on the engine and have to protrude far enough to come through the cowling itself... I can't decide whether to add the flame dampeners to the engine or display the exhausts how the they'd look with them removed and just have the bare stacks. Pictures of the late exhausts are proving elusive... I can't find out whether the dampeners were integral to the cowling covers or remained attached to the stacks/manifold when the cowlings were off like on the earlier types of exhaust.

Oh the joys... smile.png

Tom

Cheers guys.. there has been a bit more progress with the engine but nothing really worthy of pictures yet.

I finish the school term tomorrow so back to the bench with a vengence on Monday! :thumbsup:

Tom

Back at the bench sooner than I thought!

Progress has been made on the exposed engine...

Using the Tamiya Spit engine meant there were some modifications needed to the cooling system - the Spitfire's radiators are under the wing whereas the Halifax has it below the engine. Therefore, I had to scratch-build the radiator itself, and then modify the pipework which was done with some Tamiya parts as well as thin sprue. These were attached to the header tank, which in turn is attached to the engine itself.

Here's the home-made radiator and coolant pipework:

S1030368.jpg

Lots of test-fitting was required to ensure everything fitted as it should:

S1030364.jpg

S1030366.jpg

I then added some plumbing and some of AK's engine oil to give the whole thing a bit of wear and tear. Exposed exhaust stacks were also added - these were much-modified Mosquito stacks as I've decided to leave the flame-dampeners off to reveal more detail in the engine compartment:

S1030370.jpg

A test-fit of the fully-feathered propeller:

S1030388.jpg

And a final few shots to show the engine in-situ:

S1030379.jpg

S1030384.jpg

S1030394.jpg

S1030395.jpg

All that's left to do in this area now is make the framework that supports the cowling covers... 

Until the next update, 

Tom

Excellent work on that engine, Tom. Looks nice and busy with all the extra plumbing and the neat weathering adds the final touch.

I definitely agree with you on leaving the exhaust stacks uncovered. It looks sooo cool this way!  Once the feathered prop is painted, the entire assembly will look terrific!

What an inspiration, man!

Fab