Tamiya P-51D Mustang Finished 9/26/13

Daywalker

The patina looks really good. Looks used, not used up. Did you use oils for the light staining?

Don

Thank you Don, and yes I did use oils. I read an article by Jamie Haggo showing how to use them for this sort of weathering, and I really liked how they turned out. I am still experimenting with them, but so far am quite impressed by the subtle effects you can achieve with them. I loved how they turned out on your P-51D and Ki-61!

I like the look

Thanks Ron!

Frank, she's looking awesome! Great job on the NMF.

With regards to cleaning your airbrush after using Metalizer Sealer, I've always used lacquer thinner. Works great.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you Wolf, much appreciated! Good to know about the lacquer thinner, I'll press on with that then.

• 2 weeks later...

just curious, since your also working on the Corsair..is this kit as nice as the Corsair?

I built the Tamiya A6M5 first, followed by their Spitfire. I then started on the Mustang (which is nearing completion) and have just barely touched the Corsair. IMHO, the Zero was REALLY good (a breakthrough kit really) with a few quirks like the landing gear and operating features. The Spitfire was a large leap forward from that kit, without the operating features but still had the awkward PE hinges and rods for the control surfaces. The Mustang was every bit as good as the Spitfire, with small improvements such as the way they attached the exhaust stubs and the molded in engine bearers to help alignment (this kit's engine panels fit almost perfectly OOB). The Mustang still had the awkward PE hinge setup. The Corsair has even finer surface detail, and FINALLY does away with the PE hinge setup and instead has pose able (yet optional position) control surfaces. If they continue on their current path of improving each subsequent kit, hopefully the next one will include injection molded tires instead of the rubber ones. I think that would make them as close to perfect as possible. Hope that helps!

That weathering test looks really cool Frank! Hopefully will see this done soon, so you can finish that Corsair. These Tamiya 1/32 kits really are something amazing.

Matt :frantic:

Thanks Matt! I too really want to finish this one, but right now I am waiting on decals. I am using the Cutting Edge decals for it, and when I went to apply them I could see that they had yellowed a bit. Not a lot mind you, but just enough to be noticeable on the NMF. I taped them to my South facing window about a week ago, and hopefully soon they will be sun bleached enough to apply. In the meantime, here are a couple of photos to show the stencils and stars on. I used the Fundekals stencil sheet, and honestly I have never had decals perform so well. It was the first time decalling was actually FUN! I was amazed by how well they pulled down over tight angles, such as the raised strip immediately in front of the ailerons. Also the way they pulled down into the detail on the fuel filler caps. I hope they come out with more stencils, these really are THAT good!

thanks Frank for the quick run down..that says enough for me ..Im getting a 'stang! ..and your right about the details..if they keep getting better, eventually their next release out to smell and sound like a real one too

You are most welcome! You will love that P-51D, it really is a fantastic kit. I have never before been a huge fan of the P-51, but after this kit I am converted. I already want to build another one!

001-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-5.jpg

Guest Nigelr32

Thats it!!!

I have the Tamiya P-51 D and K in my stash, untouched. i am going to start one of them this weekend, and it's all your fault.

You have made this kit look amazing, if I can do a job half as good as yours I'll be more than happy.

Now D or K???? :shrug:

Thank you gents, much appreciated! Really hope to get the decals sorted out so I can press on.

Thats it!!!

I have the Tamiya P-51 D and K in my stash, untouched. i am going to start one of them this weekend, and it's all your fault.

You have made this kit look amazing, if I can do a job half as good as yours I'll be more than happy.

Now D or K???? :shrug:

Hahaha... You'll be glad you did! Truly an amazing kit, and I am already chomping at the bit to start another. As for a D or a K? Hmmm... either way you will be stunned by the quality of this kit.