Tamiya P-51D Mustang Finished 9/26/13

Daywalker

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Super work on the NMF. I've only done one and sweated out the same. John's advice on the undercoat is the way to go, as on my BBD, I went with Tamiya gloss black and was pretty lucky that the Alclad didn't peel when masking on top. Will be hitting the LFS to pick up a bottle so of Model Master Sealer for Metalizer.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

terrific job so far mate

greetings from Brazil

shep

Thanks Shep, glad you like her so far!

Shmooove :lol:

That looks flawless on my monitor Frank. Beautifully crisp demarcation with the OD glare panel. :bow:

Keep it up. :clap2:

Cheers Guy, glad to see you stop by! How's that F-15 coming along? I have been watching that thread for updates, hope to see some soon!

Frank

Super work on the NMF. I've only done one and sweated out the same. John's advice on the undercoat is the way to go, as on my BBD, I went with Tamiya gloss black and was pretty lucky that the Alclad didn't peel when masking on top. Will be hitting the LFS to pick up a bottle so of Model Master Sealer for Metalizer.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter, I agree- these NMF's are a bit of work to get right. Definitely worth the effort though! I found that I actually have a bottle of the Metalizer Sealer here, but not their thinner for cleaning out the AB. Would regular lacquer thinner work for cleanup? I have been playing around decals today, testing extra decals from the sheet I am using to make sure I get it right on the metal surface. Have also been playing around with weathering on my test piece, and I have to say that weathering an aluminum airplane is fun, and not too hard to do so far! (Sure hope I don't have to eat those words later LOL)

Frank,

:wow:

I just have total adoration for this Beautifully sexy aircraft... :wub:

And Frank, watching your thread/build is such a pleasure.

Delightful...

Your work is brilliant.and although you had a glitch, seeing your NMF work, she looks most RESPLENDENT.

looks FLAWLESS to ME..

:wow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers Maru, I really appreciate your nice comments! Hearing such things keeps me excited about the build and moving forward.

Two Tamiya kits going down at the same time?! Good man!

Looks really nice, Frank.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Yep, TWO Tamiya kits and TWO Hasegawa kits at the same time, and three of them are at about the same stage of the build.

Hi!

Very very nice metal finish!

keep up the good work mate!

Rom

Thanks Rom, much appreciated!

Nice and shiny!! Great work so far Frank!! Have you decide about the profile yet?

John

Thank you John! Here's the aircraft I am modeling, Lt. Col. Glenn Eagleston's "Feeble Eagle":

Eagleston_P51__2_rs.jpg

Edited by Daywalker

Have spent some time the past few days working on practice weathering for a NMF. I had originally planned to paint this one as a 352nd aircraft, but decided at the last minute to do another one.

After painting a spare Tamiya P-51D wing in Alclad aluminum, I broke out the weathering stuff and had a go at the bottom of the right wing (on the left in the photos). I left the other side in natural aluminum to see how the weathered panels compared to ones that hadn't been. Here's a couple of shots to show how it came out:

002-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

So far, I am really liking how it is coming along. Hope to start decalling later today!

Frank, been a bit since I looked in. I'm liking it very much my friend ! Keep it up.............Harv :popcorn:

Cheers Harv, thanks for looking in! Glad to see you're back from N'Orleans. :coolio:

Looking good Frank! On your test wing, what did you use to overcoat the decals with? Whatever it is, it's very effective! Can't see even a hint of carrier film anywhere.

Kev

Greetings Kev! Believe it or not, I actually didn't put anything over the decals. Most of them came out very good, with little of no carrier film visible. The only that did, however, was the "Black Panther" decal from the Kagero book. You can JUST see a bit of it where the decal is on top of the blue.

Guest Peterpools

Frank

Amazing test work on the wing, as the weathering looks right on the money. The only thing I worry about, if the decal carrier film isn't sealed, is down the rod, it might start to show signs of yellowing.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

Frank

Amazing test work on the wing, as the weathering looks right on the money. The only thing I worry about, if the decal carrier film isn't sealed, is down the rod, it might start to show signs of yellowing.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

Thanks Peter! Planning to seal those decals, just trying to determine what to use to clean the Model Master Metalizer Sealer out of the airbrush. Have you ever used this stuff? I've tried my usual clearcoats of thinned Future and also my craft store brand matte coat, but neither of those want to lay down well on the metal finish. Hoping the Sealer will help with that, just have to figure out what to use to clean it out of the AB.

Thanks for looking in, as well as the tips!