Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

Indeed. If you turn up late for class it would help if you read the notes provided. Derek mentions in the thread how easy it is to turn the kit into an A, which is what I'll be doing, and I posted a link to a photo of the various GW 1/48 noses which should help if making a B, don't know how to fix the u/c doors - I'm doing an A! Kits-World and Eagle Cal have/are producing decals for A's and B's... Google is your friend.

The HB kit is correct in fuselage length for a P-61B (it has the 8" fuselage plug ahead of the nose wheel bay), however, the main gear doors and nose are representative of the P-61A version, which is why it would be easier to cut back the fuselage by a scale 8" and assemble it as a P-61A.

If you are prepared to modify the main gear doors (although there is probably little that you can do about the door hydraulics - the P-61A was all mechanical) and the shape and detail of the nose radome, then a very respectable P-61B can still be made from this kit.

HTH

Derek

ah...now it's getting clearer...

So...the P61A is with or without top turret?

First 37 P-61A aircraft have, the rest didn't (until reinstated late in the production run of the P-61B Black Widow).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

When I get mine, I am just going to build it. I am not worried about 8 scale inches or whatever. I will buy some really kool decals some PE and put it together and have fun.

I am really looking forward to this release and all the others that are coming down the road this year. Everyone can build theirs the way they want and have fun doing it. I can't wait to see all of the fabulous builds that are going to show up on the "Best" modeling site on the web.

Just my 2 cents.....

Mike

Same here, Mike...going to build it & have fun.....

Well it's the 14th & not seeing anything about it being released in the States yet..... :(

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Saber

ah...now it's getting clearer...

So...the P61A is with or without top turret?

You're better deciding which aircraft you want to model and take it from there, all the A's with turrets served in the Pacific; http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=3&SUB=3&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=121&STKNR=121&STRH=2380&ORDN=2632&RNZ=887135 & http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=3&SUB=3&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=123&STKNR=123&STRH=2142&ORDN=2256&RNZ=188152 European; http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/02/something-old-something-new-from.html

I know a lot of guys will probably say Im crazy or cry blasphemy but I think the OOB decals as well as the Kits-World decals are kinda boring. Yeah naked ladies are always cool, but I need something other than just all black or OD + GR.

So far the EagleCals are the only ones I can see with any visual difference to me. I love the ladies too but need some color.................

Also sux that all of those are top turret-less birds. :(

Edited by Out2gtcha

You're my saviour Andy, was just about to pop the question on the OD versions, thanks!

Guest Peterpools

Looking forward to the Widow's release and will be doing a OOB build with some AM PE (if available) and most likley AM decals. Just want to have fun and enjoy the build. I've never been one to modify a kit for accuracy as all my models are destined for the display to look at and enjoy. :rolleyes: