Hobby Boss P-61B out

Dave Williams

thanks for posting that Derek, looks like I may get the Oper. Manual ..

I do like the Eagle Cal set you posted. I was looking at the Borrowed Time ship just yesturday..it has color AND pinup nose art..err wheel art .

I was talking to my sales rep yesterday about this kit, and he mentioned they have a built sample in the office..and it looks like a P-61! lol so, for us non rivet counters it'll suffice...at least as an A model.

I know a lot of guys will probably say Im crazy or cry blasphemy but I think the OOB decals as well as the Kits-World decals are kinda boring. Yeah naked ladies are always cool, but I need something other than just all black or OD + GR.

So far the EagleCals are the only ones I can see with any visual difference to me. I love the ladies too but need some color.................

Also sux that all of those are top turret-less birds. :(

What about this http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p61registry/p61registry.html or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151002499668

Dear Derek, i wish i have known you before the commision to paint it's boxart!!!! I am sure you whould have provide me with a lot more accurate information and advises!!!!

I will try to get this some time cos nowadays i do not have the time to build Models, not to mention in 32nd!! This scale demands respect cos whatever mistakes occur are very very prominent!! :doh:

Dear Derek, i wish i have known you before the commision to paint it's boxart!!!! I am sure you whould have provide me with a lot more accurate information and advises!!!!

I will try to get this some time cos nowadays i do not have the time to build Models, not to mention in 32nd!! This scale demands respect cos whatever mistakes occur are very very prominent!! :doh:

Thank you Kostas :blush:

Despite the few minor issues that I have picked up from both the sprue shots and built up demo model, I still believe that this is a terrific kit that will definitely build into a very good representation of the Widow. The amount of parts in the kit alone will readily lend it to super detailing.

I hope that you can get one of these kits (or any other in 1/32 scale) and find some time to make it - you'll probably find it very therapeutic and we will always be here to help, advise and guide you should you need it.

I can't wait to get one (or more) of these kits as soon as I can, but I fear that I may miss the boat here - nonetheless, I shall get one at some point in time.

Regards

Derek

Thank you Kostas :blush:

Despite the few minor issues that I have picked up from both the sprue shots and built up demo model, I still believe that this is a terrific kit that will definitely build into a very good representation of the Widow. The amount of parts in the kit alone will readily lend it to super detailing.

I hope that you can get one of these kits (or any other in 1/32 scale) and find some time to make it - you'll probably find it very therapeutic and we will always be here to help, advise and guide you should you need it.

I can't wait to get one (or more) of these kits as soon as I can, but I fear that I may miss the boat here - nonetheless, I shall get one at some point in time.

Regards

Derek

Hello Derek!!

I am a 32nd scale fan anyway! And i have built a few models in the past! It is nowadays that i do not have much spare time for Modelling! Most of my free time is used to paint box art images that i am commisioned!!

I have built 32nd kits such as, FW-190A Hasegawa, Messerschmitt 109E Matchbox, F5F Hellcat hasegawa, Douglas Dauntless Matchbox, and the P-38 by Revell! Nowadays all those kits are released again in better tooling and other companies! Still it was some kind of magic those early days that the models were built stait from the box!

My heart wish is to see the F7U Cutlass in 32nd scale! I like this bird so much!!!

Best modelling and thanks for the reply and wish to Help!!! :rolleyes:

I noticed that the issue of the gear doors on the P-61B raised here. I agree that they are more towards the P-61A than B. However, photos that I have studied seems to show the full span gear doors from the P-61A were carried by the early P-61B's. Perhaps the change incorporated during the "B" production run? Anyone confirm my suspicion?

BTW, as I am sure most are aware, the upper turret when fixed on the P-61B was a slightly different shape then the norm as provided by Trumpeter. This would be more appropriate for Lady In The Dark.

Mark Proulx

Hello Derek!!

I am a 32nd scale fan anyway! And i have built a few models in the past! It is nowadays that i do not have much spare time for Modelling! Most of my free time is used to paint box art images that i am commisioned!!

I have built 32nd kits such as, FW-190A Hasegawa, Messerschmitt 109E Matchbox, F5F Hellcat hasegawa, Douglas Dauntless Matchbox, and the P-38 by Revell! Nowadays all those kits are released again in better tooling and other companies! Still it was some kind of magic those early days that the models were built stait from the box!

My heart wish is to see the F7U Cutlass in 32nd scale! I like this bird so much!!!

Best modelling and thanks for the reply and wish to Help!!! :rolleyes:

If you don't mind resin kits, you're in luck. F7U-3M Cutlass

I noticed that the issue of the gear doors on the P-61B raised here. I agree that they are more towards the P-61A than B. However, photos that I have studied seems to show the full span gear doors from the P-61A were carried by the early P-61B's. Perhaps the change incorporated during the "B" production run? Anyone confirm my suspicion?

BTW, as I am sure most are aware, the upper turret when fixed on the P-61B was a slightly different shape then the norm as provided by Trumpeter. This would be more appropriate for Lady In The Dark.

Mark Proulx

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the link to the Britmodeller review - nice.

I would be very interested to see the photographs of any early P-61B's with the P-61A type doors, as I have never seen any before? (my understanding is that this is modification was introduced specifically with the P-61B after feedback of service experience with the P-61A doors).

Yes, Lady in the dark did indeed have the fixed upper turret, which, as you say, is not represented in the HB kit, however, it is relatively easy to modify the kit item to represent one (I would like to make this feature as an AM part, but I suspect that someone else may very well get around to long before I can).

Cheers

Derek

Well, not having a photo hosting account...

For one example, P-61B "Our Panther" of the 548th NFS. See Osprey Combat Aircraft #8 P-61 Black Widow Units of WW2 page 75 for photo. Given as s/n 42-39428 there and further s/n support on page 491 in Deny Them the Night Sky. Aircraft clearly has the large gear doors of the "A" variant.

That s/n in Northrop P-61 Black Widow by John and Donna Campbell on page 138 identifies this aircraft as a P-61B-2-NO.

The above investigation partially responsible for my earlier posting.

Mark Proulx