P-61 $$

Saber

Another point I should add is the fact that the average hourly wage of a worker in a Chinese Manufacturing Company is one tenth that of the average American, European, or Japanese. That $150+ is almost pure profit for HK. If they aren't so much better, why is a twin engine bomber so much more money than a Revell?

That math does not really work. Wages at the production facility do not contribute much to the final price of a kit on the shelf.

If I compare the kits I bought the last few years, I tend to say that Revell saves a few buck on tooling. That doesn't mean the kits are bad, but they do not represent at all what is possible today. They lack the finess, the sharpness of details that the Asian competitors offer. Sometimes details are completely omitted (the engine front faces of the Eurofighter comes to mind). But at least they offer you to buy an extra PE set for some of these kits. Older helo kits came with beautiful raised rivet detail, the Lynx is smooth as a baby's backside. Different target group and thus priorites, I guess...

(On top of it, Revell kits, at least cars, go for an extra 15% now...)

Moreover it has been discussed before that there are various stations in the distribution chain, and each of them wants a cut, which adds to the final price.

This entire topic may be a mute issue considering China has allied itself with North Korea and is threatening war.

Just seen on a news programme the invasion is on the way, starting with a landing in San Francisco where the Red Surge are going to open a Coffee Shoppe ® selling particularly sticky buns ®.

There are aspects of modelling forums that are great - shared info, research, encouragement, consolation, camaraderie - and then there are the posts that make me wonder if some people have been let out of the asylum by mistake... :hmmm:

<sigh...>

Back to the P-61 - really pleased with mine - will be ordering a second shortly. I paid £95 for one here in UK and more than happy with that.

Iain

Edited by 32SIG

.I don't believe ZM is going to fair well. They really don't need after market anything, but their kits just have more than the average modeler wants and are too pricy. People are grabbing Revell's Heinkle Owl over ZM. As far as HK's much better quality that doesn't need after market. This simply isn't true. HK is simply not $100+ better quality than Revell to me. I feel the only reason I think HK is taking off is the releases of American bombers. I would not imagine that subject matter is as popular in Europe. We will not know for sure until the first non-American bomber is released. Remember, HK only came out with the first B-25 a few months ago.

Well i guess you would be wrong.

ZM have sold out of the entire first run of the Shinden and TA152.

As for people buying the Revell 219 over the ZM kit i guess that make sense as the ZM kit HASNT BEEN RELEASED YET!

Lol..

HK have sold out the entire B-25 glass nose run to boot so i'd say "your" likes are not in line with the market.

You are right with regard to ZM they offer you everything you need in one box with little need for after market.

Thats why they sell so well.

Revell 219 $100 plus correction wheels $20 plus props $20 where at $140 before you disregard the innaccurate cowls,canopy, mis-shapen fuselage,undercarriage and the list goes on. If you want detailed engines you can wait for a mega Aires set for god knows hows how much.

In short its expensive and inaccurate.

ZM kits are accurate and good value with almost everything you need in the box.

As for HK they are gorgeous im interested to see how the B17 goes as it looks superb.

In fairness, the Revell He 219 is $52 at Sprue Brothers, so you can pick up the kit and a fair chunk of aftermarket schwag for it and be out the door for a $100. The ZM will be clearly superior, but at $190 I'll pass, the Revell looks OK to me when built up but I realize that's a personal preference issue.

I love their stuff though, I have the Ta 152 and will probably pick up the Skyraider as well. The HK B-25 is a great kit and well worth the money too.

Oh yeah, I'll be getting the P-61 too eventually! :coolio:

Edited by Mikester

Mike in fairness thats a USA price not what the rest of the world pays.

The average price of kits varies around the world.

For instance US based modellers whine about Trumpeter prices yet they are a lot less in other places.

My 2 Revell 219's where 98 each at a cheap shop here so I guess its horses for courses.

However no amount of price difference makes up for the numerous errors in the Revell kit.

Yes its cheap and sure it looks ok just dont look to closely with a photo of the real aircraft nearby...

If it was released by Trumpeter then the lynch mob would of been out looking for blood months ago..

Mike in fairness thats a USA price not what the rest of the world pays.

The average price of kits varies around the world.

For instance US based modellers whine about Trumpeter prices yet they are a lot less in other places.

My 2 Revell 219's where 98 each at a cheap shop here so I guess its horses for courses.

However no amount of price difference makes up for the numerous errors in the Revell kit.

Yes its cheap and sure it looks ok just dont look to closely with a photo of the real aircraft nearby...

If it was released by Trumpeter then the lynch mob would of been out looking for blood months ago..

Wow, that's quite a price swing, I think I'd pass on the Revell 219 if $98 was the going price. Living in Japan I actually get better deals on Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits ordering from the US, I'm guessing Japan adds tariffs that the US doesn't.

The He 219 retails for £49.99 here in UK and I've seen prices as low as £35 from shops.

Some may have seen my build of it here - yes - it has a few issues to my eyes - but still represents remarkable value for money and I'll maintain that with a little work it can be improved hugely. Most of the from the box builds I've seen have been superb!

Much as I do use aftermarket from time to time - it's not essential and there's great pleasure to be gained from making changes and additions myself. That said I have just ordered the Eduard wheels - but my total build price will be about £55.

The ZM one does look excellent in the plastic - and I'm interested to see what changes they make to the canopy before launch. But it is likely to be around the £150+ mark by the time it reaches UK (maybe more + import taxes - Telford offers aside). It's another avenue to building a UHU that will please a lot of modellers - but it will be at least three times the price of the Revell kit. In effect I've got the Revell UHU and a Hobby Boss Widow for less than the cost of the ZM kit.

You makes your choice - if the ZM kit had been released first I may have gone that route. But I really hope my build hasn't put people off the Revell kit - my build would have been soooo much quicker if I'd known what needed doing when I started!

There were shape errors I found in the He 111P - but nobody seems to have picked up on those. I wouldn't for one minute suggest it's a poor kit.

I'll maintain no kit *needs* aftermarket stuff - it can be nice - but sometimes a cheap basic canvas can be great fun to work with.

As to pricing in general - there are so many factors involved I think many modellers go of half cocked without understanding the bigger picture - and some utter rubbish gets spouted at times.

What I will re-iterate though is that, as large scale aviation enthusiasts, we've *never* had it so good. Amazing, for instance, that we now have a choice of UHUs. Prices from differing manufacturers may be difficult to square up in our heads as a value proposition - but to whine about prices when we have access to some of the jewels we have available now feels a little churlish to this happy fondler of plastic...

And - yes - I'm sure we could all do with more money for our hobbies :)

I know - I'm rambling again - I'll go take my meds ;)

Have fun everyone - isn't that what it's all about?

Iain

Edited by 32SIG