1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Sweet looking prop and spinner. Looking real good and sexy mounted to the big radial. :speak_cool:

Fully appreciate the 'rush to get the wings on and then deal with the wing intakes. All the confidence in the world, they will come out perfect. :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Taff,

just found this thread after looking at your awsome Mossie build and I clicked on " in the Hangar " as I have one of these beast's in my" to do pile" ( along with the Mossie ). Your modeling skills are some thing to behold and I hope my aircraft projects look half as good as yours. I have Derek B to thank for my first attempt at "improving" my modeling standards back in our Airforce days on the Reds. His skills back then were inspiring and instead of putting me off my own mediocer skills, encouraged me to try to improve. He is also responcible for my attending my first model show in Newark back in 83 ( I think ). If Telford is your first model show be prepared with a chin support for those jaw dropping moments and all those tempting bits of plastic waiting to empty your wallet and add to your ever increasing loft insulation.

I look forward to seeing more of your updates and finished Fury.

Bob.

Hi Taff,

just found this thread after looking at your awsome Mossie build and I clicked on " in the Hangar " as I have one of these beast's in my" to do pile" ( along with the Mossie ). Your modeling skills are some thing to behold and I hope my aircraft projects look half as good as yours. I have Derek B to thank for my first attempt at "improving" my modeling standards back in our Airforce days on the Reds. His skills back then were inspiring and instead of putting me off my own mediocer skills, encouraged me to try to improve. He is also responcible for my attending my first model show in Newark back in 83 ( I think ). If Telford is your first model show be prepared with a chin support for those jaw dropping moments and all those tempting bits of plastic waiting to empty your wallet and add to your ever increasing loft insulation.

Bob.

Hello Bob,

Just in case I didn't get the chance, :post1:

It's so nice to hear from you again after all of these years, and thank you very much for the too kind words :blush:

As far as I'm concerned, I am still learning and trying to improve my techniques even now, so I guess that I am as much of a beginner as anyone here. However, if I can offer only a very small amount of useful advice to any modeller, then I feel very happy to have helped in some small way.

I am enjoying Taff's build here as much as I do with everyone else's - I find it all very inspirational.

Cheers

Derek

Lovely work on the spinner and blades Taff. I agree, she's starting to look like a Fury now.

That Milliput looks like hard work though. I've often seen modellers using it but I've never used the stuff. What are your thoughts Taff?

If it is as tough to use as it looks, you could try "Green Stuff" from Games Workshop as an alternative.

It's also a two pack putty with yellow and blue sticks joined side by side in the packaging. You chop off suitably sized chunks then mix them together. I roll it out into a long sausage leaving the yellow on one side and the blue on the other before folding them together and twisting them into a rope and finally squidging them together until it becomes an even green colour.

In my experience, it remains workable for quite a while and can be easily smoothed and worked using a wet sculpting tool or similar. Additionally, once dry, it can be sanded to shape nice and easily too using wet and dry paper. Just a thought mate.

Keep up the excellent work, She's looking great!

Cheers.

Hi Mate – I am no expert on any of this! Just very much the willing apprentice. I noticed other people using it so thought I would give it a try. I had only ever used the Revell Plasto stuff before when I was a kid –

Oh those days buy the kit in the morning and it was hanging from the ceiling buy tea time!!!!

In fact I still use it and I like it. I have seen this Green Stuff in Hobbycraft but from what you saying it sounds exactly like Milliput. All the attributes seem the same, mix and clean with water, mould, shape, cut and rub.

I have started to experiment with it by making a slip with water, the same way that you work clay. This I can paint on or run down a seam. The trick is not too runny! Then just clear up with a damp bit of kitchen towel.

This is what I have done on the wing root area see the pictures in a minute. Its not expensive I have two grade but I have been really just using the Extra Fine give it a go by the sounds of it I don’t think it will handle any different from the Green – I will try the green myself, see what it does!

Happy Days - Taff :D

Half the battle with Milliput Taff, is getting fresh stuff.

Over time it can go pretty hard and is tricky to work with.

If its fresh then its ok.

If you are going to Telford, get there early as the parking is a nightmare.

I ended up queueing for an hour off the motorway to find the car park full.

Best to go up the road to the open air public car park. Can park all day for a few quid.

Sea Fury is looking the bees knees mate!

:popcorn: :thumbsup:

Taff

Sweet looking prop and spinner. Looking real good and sexy mounted to the big radial. :speak_cool:

Fully appreciate the 'rush to get the wings on and then deal with the wing intakes. All the confidence in the world, they will come out perfect. :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Peter - Yep paying the price for rushing in – needs more filler and more sanding but I am slowly winning the fight :deadhorse:

Taff

Hi Taff,

Bob.

Hi Bob - Do the Mossie first this kit is a bit of a slog – The Mossie man that’s an adventure but real pleasure to make - And also one of my all time favourite aircraft. If you where following Derek modelling lead, wow that’s a very high bench mark but a good one to follow.

I’m glad you like it just oh so much more to do – so much for a quick build!

Taff

OMG!

Sooooo.. What you do is:

- Buy the Hobbycraft Sea Fury.

- Throw it away.

- Scratch build one your self.

- Post it in 'Ready for inspection'.

Great work...

Cheers,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen – Thanks for looking in made me laugh. :rofl: On occasions I wish I had thrown it away !!!! Just to stubborn to give in

But I am just tickling the edges on this thing. If you want to see the real overhaul you need to look at Peters

Taff

Hello Bob,

Just in case I didn't get the chance, :post1:

It's so nice to hear from you again after all of these years, and thank you very much for the too kind words :blush:

As far as I'm concerned, I am still learning and trying to improve my techniques even now, so I guess that I am as much of a beginner as anyone here. However, if I can offer only a very small amount of useful advice to any modeller, then I feel very happy to have helped in some small way.

I am enjoying Taff's build here as much as I do with everyone else's - I find it all very inspirational.

Cheers

Derek

Cheers Derek – See you have found an old mate – B-25 wheels looking sharp :thumbsup:

Taff

Okay folks managed to get a little bit done last night with Milliput all nice and hard on the wing intakes plus on the wing root it’s time to try and sculpt and rub it into shape. This would have been so much easier with wings off but no choice as I need to blend it into the fuselage. Oh the joy!!!!!! Of fiddling with small files and small bits of sand paper in very very very small awkward places with oh so fat fingers. Didn’t help with having to do the starboard wing twice as I dropped a file on to it and gouged a nice lump off the front……. Just as I had finished. :shrug:

So do you think it looks okay

100-CubanSeaFury.jpg

101-CubanSeaFury.jpg

I painted over all these bits with some Mr Surface 500 so that will need rubbing back to see if I need to do any more.

If I get time over the weekend it will be back on to the canopy – Gulp!!!! :frantic:

Till next time have fun

Taff :D

Half the battle with Milliput Taff, is getting fresh stuff.

Over time it can go pretty hard and is tricky to work with.

If its fresh then its ok.

If you are going to Telford, get there early as the parking is a nightmare.

I ended up queueing for an hour off the motorway to find the car park full.

Best to go up the road to the open air public car park. Can park all day for a few quid.

Sea Fury is looking the bees knees mate!

:popcorn: :thumbsup:

Cheers Phil – Yep the guys at the club where on about that. I am getting a lift with some of the Swindon modelling posse and as we have a table there I think it’s going to be an early start. Also this means I can be the Newbie Sheep and just follow their lead. I am looking forward to it – my wallet isn’t and also got to figure a way to get the stuff in and hid from the wife’s anti modelling radar – Uhm! :hmmm: wonder if I chuck some tin foil strip in the air if that might jam her signal.

Yaeh heard that about Milliput, I’ve had mine about two years and no problems yet. Derek posted a thread a while ago about chopping the hard bits off and then the inner bit is fine.

Glad to see you are back on the Crusader – That’s some epic work and the Olympics looked fun!!!! Take it was a fast shutter speed to catch Mr Bolt in full flow.

That prop is the boss!

Sincerely,

Mark

Cheers Mark – I am quite chuffed with Prop – just need to try my best to get the rest to match

Excellent ! I have a series of Cuban subjects to get to , one will be a Sea Fury , I would recommend a glance at this site :

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/205/50/0

I have read the green style of camo was for static display only , I dont know if thats true . Also google 'rage of the sea furys ' it tells of the Bay of Pigs action some very intereting air combat stories there. I'll watch this all the way.

I apologize for not checking here for a while.

Oh man ... No easy modeling for Taffy ... again! Not many of us would really have patience and persistence to keep pushing like you. I really like what you are doing here!

:goodjob:

Looking awesome!

Peter

Cheers Peter – I am getting their “I Think?” The canopy is putting up a fight and half at the mo. :deadhorse:

I Like the new Bi Plane project – really like the colour scheme! I take it it’s the one on your signature?

On that how do you get the pictures into you sig – I tried and it just destroyed my signature!

TOP NOTCH work Taff.

FANTABULOUSLY monumental work of art...

Thanks for looking in Mrau – Hay mate you cost me money that cutaway book you posted – really nice just started to read it very good book and the Illustration are fab. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Excellent ! I have a series of Cuban subjects to get to , one will be a Sea Fury , I would recommend a glance at this site :

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/205/50/0

I have read the green style of camo was for static display only , I dont know if thats true . Also google 'rage of the sea furys ' it tells of the Bay of Pigs action some very intereting air combat stories there. I'll watch this all the way.

Hi Steve – I know there is a lot of smoke and mirrors around the colour scheme on these. From bare metal, solid green, two tone light and dark green camo or stripy. The guy that did the stripy profile got the roundels the wrong way around. But I did find an article about the Bay Of Pigs written by a Cuban geezer. In his article there was some rough pictures of the Sea Fury with what looks like stripes. There was one with definite stripes on that was a later gate guard. This is the one I am working from. I know this is very dubious and questionable as a in service aircraft but hay I liked it and it seemed a bit different and a challenge. :hmmm:

I apologize for not checking here for a while.

Oh man ... No easy modeling for Taffy ... again! Not many of us would really have patience and persistence to keep pushing like you. I really like what you are doing here!

:goodjob:

Hi Tomek – No need to apologize – I think I’m having fun!!!!! :hmmm: This was meant to be a therapy quick build – Then I looked at what came in the box. Should have listened to the bits I read about it - Think I chose the wrong kit!!!!! But hey where here know so I will get on with it.

What’s happening to the Piper mate? Did see the bulldozer on you tank build that looks very nice!

Okay a bit of work done

I have finished the reshaping of the wing intakes. These have had several coats of Mr Surface added and rubbed back. Just need to clean the dust out and I am calling these done

102-CubanSeaFury.jpg

103-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Whilst waiting for stuff to dry I started to tackle the rear Horizontal Stabilisers.

I cut the flaps off. These got the cut surfaces cleaned up and then some plastic card stuck on to the cut edge of the flaps to shape so I can set them slightly down. Also stuck on some very tiny bits of plastic to be shaped into the trim actuators. After rubbing the back edge into a rough concaved shape I made a angle from some card board to make sure the both flaps will be at the same angle.

The bits

104-CubanSeaFury.jpg

After the glue

105-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Just to see how they look. Uhm will need to take care of the gaps!!!!

106-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Okay bit more to follow see you in a mo

Part 2

I next did a bit more work on the underside of the wings. The kit gives you a couple of circles where there should be a blister shape. So I measured these and made a tear shape from some Milliput. I then used my newly learnt skill of smash moulding two shapes out of plastic sheet. I cut these out and rubbed the bottom edges flat the stuck them in place.

The mould and the final shapes

107-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Showing the circle and my covers in place. I will blend these in later as there is a awkward plastic sink / depression that runs around where the wheel well joins to the wing.

108-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Next job on the wings is the Nav Lights. The kit parts look massive to my eyes and what I can see in my ref pictures. So I cut the ones off of the wings and tidied them up and stuck some plastic strip to reduce the size. This then got rubbed in to shape.

109-CubanSeaFury.jpg

I painted on some Mr Surface and rubbed this back to blend it into the wing. This got a coat of silver chrome paint. Whilst this dried I cut some bits of spare clear sprue. What will be the inside bits too the wing then got rubbed back to a right angle. It was given a final clean and polish. Next I drilled small holes close to the edge. Into these I ran a small bit of Green and Red Tamiya clear Finally Inserted some small thin Brass rod. These will help me line them up and also help hold them in place.

These where supper glued into place.

110-CubanSeaFury.jpg

So after much gentle rubbing, shaping and buffing – I was left with these. Far better than the solid grey plastic ones that you get with the kit. I do have to ask the question that how difficult would it have been to mould these in clear rather than grey?

111-CubanSeaFury.jpg

112-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Oh well hope you like the update till next time - I shall carry on my scrap with the canopy – hope to have that milestone done soon!!!!

Till then Thanks for looking.

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Awesome progress on the Sea Fury. Nothing like tackling small projects and finishing them off.

Super work on the tailplanes and elevators .

Nothing like your smash moulding technique ... worked perfectly!

Totally agree about the NAV lights ... wouldn't have been hard for the manufacturer to mold them clear to start. Perfect clean up and they look great.

Keep up the stellar work

and keep 'em coming

Peter