1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Sensational work on the gear and the masking. Absolutely gorgeous work and killer progress.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Guys and Gals for the great comments and feedback – it sure helps to try and push to that finishing line!

Cheers Joe several days to read! Yep this was meant to be a quick therapy build – Uhmmm 10 months later and I think I am seeing the finishing tape on the Horizon.

With work and life getting in the way have been slowly ticking away and doing bits over the past couple of weeks.

I put a gloss all over ready for the stickers. Not many of these to go on, as the main insignia are all painted on. I know that the stickers are all in English and where most probably painted over but to me they add a bit of realism – so I will play the artistic licence card on this one! So whilst this was drying off I finished the operation

“Tart Those Legs Up”

To this end I got the wheels painted up and put the brake tube thing on. Couldn’t find any reference to how the tube got into the wheel hub so made a second guess at where and drilled a small hole and made a small cover/connector, punched from some thin sheet. Then the weathering kit came out – thinking of put this into a Dio if I can find some troops to convert in to 1/32 Cuban’s so the wheels got a bit more muck chucked at them!

152-CubanSeaFury_zps527cf756.jpg

Still some bits to do but I will do this when they are in place. Have to say the fit is terrible........

......as loose as a pair of ………. :innocent:

..........Well you can fill in the rest! I plan to wrap some thin sheet plastic around the end! Unless anyone else has any better ideas?

On to one of the other bits left to make – the rear Nav lights that sit under the tail plane. Nothing on the kit and in the interests of the rules if it doesn’t exist you’s ave’s to makes it (in a Golum kind of voice). To this end I whittled down the thinnest bit of clear sprue I could find. Then with the smallest drill I own drilled and pinned the end.

Chopped it off. Then lots of gentle rubbing and shaping – One, trying not to drop it and Two, not sand papering my fingers. Failed on both accounts so back to making another one for my next attempt. So after much cursing and a slightly thinner fingertip or two this is what I ended up with.

153-CubanSeaFury_zps0b615119.jpg

In fact even these are slightly too large to the plans! But I can live with them. I painted the back with a tiny bit of chrome so hopefully they should reflect!

Also started to do the clean up of the painted insignia.

YEP!!!! :crying: The white under paint did kick me in the dangly bits – Why I did it! I don’t know….. It was one of those moments …… You know the ones ….. Why did I do that!!!!!! Goes the question in your head. :BANGHEAD2:

Any way jog on. Clean up what I can and live with the rest – Think I would do more damage trying to correct it.

Rudder all cleaned up and shiny

154-CubanSeaFury_zpsa8bb916a.jpg

And showing the nice 3D effect from the white. See if the weathering helps! Couldn’t resist sticking the spinner on – just to see what it looks like.

155-CubanSeaFury_zps0dac3d45.jpg

All for now back in a minute with some weathering.

Taff :D

Right back with part 2

Okay on to the weathering. I saw several people using the Oil Paint Dot Filter technique – Think Tomak was one – So after some research and letting the Gloss dry for a couple of days – girding the loins …. And all that – took the plunge :frantic:

I dotted the paint on. This will be for the hi-light areas. I applied the colours as I thought it would be used i.e. more dirty and buff brown colours towards the foot area and slightly less and cleaner colours towards the tip. Well it seems to make a knd of sense to me.

156-CubanSeaFury_zps394e661d.jpg

I hope this is correct? Never done this before so if this is duff info or there is a better way! Please feel free to jump in?

From what I have seen next, you brush, with a very slightly turpentine dampened brush – I used a small acrylic chisel brush and some artists turps – gently smear and form shapes and contours. Think the idea is not to blend to much just move the colours around and keep cleaning the excess of the brush.

157-CubanSeaFury_zpse1951484.jpg

:hmmm: Uhmm looks like a bit of modern art!

Now with another dry larger chisel brush I blended firstly along the panel lines and shapes, holes etc. Then went with the airflow. I wiped the brush clean regularly – suppose this is to reduce the amount of paint left on.

158-CubanSeaFury_zps6ba22b54.jpg

Then with some clean cloth – I used kitchen towel – I gently, with the airflow, wiped using different stroke lengths and pressure and using a clean bit every time till I got this.

159-CubanSeaFury_zps4621763e.jpg

Okay not sure if this is meant to be left to dry and coated – don’t know!!!! I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will shout – So I plunged on with doing the dark and lo-lights. I ran along the panel lines and around shapes with a variegated mixture of Raw Siena and Burnt Umber More Siena towards plane and more Umber towards the tip – next with a small round brush I randomly dotted blue and Umber about. Sorry forgot to take a picture of this. So this picture shows me starting the gentle smear and working of the paint with a slightly damp chisel brush. I worked the paint into the lines etc and smeared some of the dots.

160-CubanSeaFury_zps970511c9.jpg

Okay so far – once again with some clean kitchen towel worked and wiped following the airflow.

So after some gentle wipes I was left with this.

Oh Yeah I like this! What do you think?

161-CubanSeaFury_zps10bdca43.jpg

Okay I worked over the top surfaces. I will let this dry for a while give it a coat of clear and then do the bottom bits.

Just tacked on the rudder and prop – and as a sub point how cluttered is that desk!!!! My working space is getting smaller – time for a bit of a clean.

Right side

162-CubanSeaFury_zpsc98e9888.jpg

Left side

163-CubanSeaFury_zpsf837d885.jpg

Okay folks that’s all for this one hope you like? Shame about the white under the roundels but lesson learnt and I wont be doing it again.

If any one has any pointer or correction with the oil-spotting thing don’t be shy!

Just going to take a peak at Brian’s Silver Lady. See you next time.

Happy Days - Taff

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Outrageous weathering. Just love the wat the Sea Fury is looking

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheers to all for looking in and commenting :bow:

And special mention to Moksha – Love the Gopping – What a great and funny word that I haven’t heard or used in quit a while!!!! Not sure if it translates outside the UK but it did make me laugh. :rofl:

Finished the oil work on the bottom plus gave it a coat MM Semi Clear (thanks Brian and Phill B – love this stuff) I have started to do the exhaust stains but no pics yet I will try and get something sorted next week – Family wedding this weekend so doubt I will have much time to spare which is a shame because I’m nearly there with this one! :whistle:

Happy Days - Taff :D