1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Hi Taff

I've been following both of the builds on this forum of the two Sea Fury's and I must say they've both convinced me to go and buy one. So I have and I should receive the decals tomorrow and the Sea Fury kit next week and I'm looking forward to their arrival. In the meantime I'm enjoying both builds and I must say you certainly have picked an interesting scheme to which I like very much. Great work and look forward to the finish line.

Clive

P.S. Thanks for the inspiration

Hi – Clive Wow good luck mate it’s a very simplified kit!!!!! But one saving grace is the plastics is very thick – so will take a lot of bashing before you became un-stuck. Even my industrial sized fingers managed it. It will defiantly benefit with some AM stuff chucked at it – especially the canopy! Think a Typhoon one is similar if not exactly, I’m sure there are people around here who will know. Hope you are going to post her here. I look forward to it.

I did say I would never buy one of these again - EVER! NEVER! EVER! NEVER! :hmmm: BUT have been thinking about a fictional racer (Taffy’s Dream Machine) – so as this is a cheapish kit and it would involve a lot of surgery……. OKAY stop that thought! Got others to build first. :frantic:

So any way Clive I wish you luck!

Okay on to the bits I have had time to do – Not much done over the long weekend, what with a family wedding and a weeks worth of sunshine – not bad, think that’s more than we managed the whole of last year!!! But it was just to nice to be inside so some external jobs ticked off and plenty of BBQ’s attended.

So to the model underside got the “Gopping” oil paint treatment. :rofl: Once again more Brown’s earth colours towards the middle and cleaner bright colours further spaced towards the wing tips. This then went through the process as before. I left this for a couple of days to cure than sprayed a light coating of MM Semi Gloss. I will use this as my final finish rather than the Matt as I think the Matt would kill the brightness in the Greens.

164-CubanSeaFury_zpsffd784d2.jpg

This got left over night to dry off. Then it was on to the legs. See if I can get her to stand! The fit on the legs was horrible. So my solution is to stick, on to the stub end, some thin plastic sheet as a sleeve. My thinnest wasn’t quite thin enough so, once it had dried I gave it a rub around with some fine wet and dry until I got a tight fit.

Picture showing one leg fitted. And the sleeve added to the other one.

165-CubanSeaFury_zps97655150.jpg

Yeah – She takes her first steps. :thumbsup:

166-CubanSeaFury_zps76f753e6.jpg

Also you can see. I have once again knocked off the pitot tube….. AHHHHHH!!!! :BANGHEAD2: So it is staying off now until the last bit! Also at the Milton Keynes show there was a bloke from Eduard giving an example of how to airbrush exhaust stains. He was very good and made it look oh so simple. I tried and I can confirm it wasn’t easy. :wacko: So gave up before I made it worse, so I will live with what I have done – quite a bit heavier than I wanted! But I think I will just make it worse, so am quitting whilst I am slightly ahead.

More work on the legs and other bits tonight the finishing line isn’t far in front now. So till next time – Happy Modelling every one.

Taff :D

• 2 weeks later...

Big Thanks Kevin and Peter for commenting and all the others for looking in. It really does helping driving these projects along. :thumbsup:

Okay on with the build - with most bits made, painted and ready to attach I could smell the finishing brew! :beer:

I still had a few bits to build, but not many – a bit more on those in a minute. So with the old gal finally on her pins it meant I could finish up on the under-cart bits. Which involved firstly attaching the main doors. Then the actuator arms where put into place – seems like ages since I had finished make these!

167-CubanSeaFury_zpsa954abbf.jpg

The instructions show the middle doors set vertical. But all of the pictures I have looked at seem to have these at a slight angle. I couldn’t find any hard facts to what this angle is – so I did "yeah old style" mark 1 educated guess. I cut two triangles out of plastic and held these in place with a bit of bluetac. One at the front the other one at the back, to give me some support as the glue set plus the angle for the doors. I then put in place the small hydraulic piston for these doors. Finally the under-cart is complete!!!! :yahoo:

Bombs and drop tanks are just placed on at the moment.

168-CubanSeaFury_zps48ebe339.jpg

With the under side bits done it was time to return to the topside. And as I mentioned earlier, make some of the final missing details. The gun sight needed some adjustment as I had originally made it to big. So I cut it up and hacked it about to reduced its size. Now looking at the pictures the arms that hold the glazing are a bit thick but to late and I will live with it.

169-CubanSeaFury_zps1050150c.jpg

So still a couple of bits still to make. 1 the headrest and 2 the mount foot rest thing!

The headrest was made way back at the beginning of this journey, just need to finish the surface and paint it up. Whilst eating a chocky bar at work I did the old scrunch up and smooth out the foil game.....

please tell me I am not the only one that does this? ...... :whistle:

Any way when I looked at it – it kind of reminded me of a leather texture. So thought I would give it a try on the headrest. It is stuck on using a bit of double-sided tape.

170-CubanSeaFury_zps176052b4.jpg

This pic also shows my attempt at the mounting stirrup next to the kit one. The one good close-up picture I could find showed it as more oblong shaped rather than the tube that the kit part is.

So after some paint and weathering

171-CubanSeaFury_zpsce7ccd53.jpg

The leather effect with the thin foil seems to work. Might need to experiment with some thinner foils and some different painting. Plus gives me an excuse for eating more chocolate!!!! :wicked:

This left the final bits on the list – assorted aerials. These where made from some thin brass wire and some heated and stretched sprue. I put a bit of thin brass wire into the main aerial to help hold it in place. This was highly entertaining NOT !!!!! and resulted in some fragarant language. But I got there in the end.

My collection of aerials. Made the blobs on the ends with a drop of supper glue.

173-CubanSeaFury_zpsa186bb4b.jpg

So with the aerials painted up and all the other parts done and dry – :yahoo: Yeahhhhhhh its time to do the final construction.

So it’s on with the rudder.

172-CubanSeaFury_zps9acd16eb.jpg

And at the other end – the big fan goes on.

174-CubanSeaFury_zpsc733d1fc.jpg

Okay at pic limit so back with some more in a mo

Taff:D

Okay back with part 2

Back on the underside – the two smaller aerials plus the mounting step. :hmmm: Looking at the shape on the plane I am now wondering if this should be an opening as I think this is moulded as the bottom of the stirrup in the up position. I don’t know but it might need looking into for any others making this kit. Also don’t forget that this should be at an angle not straight. :D

175-CubanSeaFury_zps2adbf138.jpg

Last bit – Yeahhh made it! The main aerial is stuck in to position. :beer: :beer4:

176-CubanSeaFury_zpsec6d8619.jpg

With that bit done It was time for a nice cup of tea and some biscuits.

Then the Ready For Inspection Pictures!!!!

Okay first up for RFI is a shot of the underneath

184-CubanSeaFury_zpsa376005a.jpg

Next I tried to get some pictures of the cockpit. I over exposed to try and see – but it is a bit dark in there!

177-CubanSeaFury_zps2ea50f60.jpg

178-CubanSeaFury_zps0af2d348.jpg

Then some side and front shoots.

179-CubanSeaFury_zps687e25fb.jpg

180-CubanSeaFury_zps60752f62.jpg

Okay more RFI to come

Okay some more RFI Pics :thumbsup:

181-CubanSeaFury_zps383da755.jpg

183-CubanSeaFury_zps67c196ca.jpg

Then I thought I would try some more arty shoots. Think I am at the limit of what is possible with two desk lights and the up-light from the sitting room. So will be buying some proper lights at some point.

185-CubanSeaFury_zps3dfa8928.jpg

186-CubanSeaFury_zpsca35222a.jpg

187-CubanSeaFury_zps8f28ce5c.jpg

In conclusion – I read that the kit is a “simple” kit Uhm! :mental: Understatement but that said as the only cheep 1:32 Seafury in town it has a lot of saving graces mainly the thick plastic. Even someone as ham-fisted as me didn’t sand through it. The overall shape isn’t too bad. And if you chuck some aftermarket bits and bobs at it, especially the canopy, you should end up with a nice result.

So this is my first adventure into so much scratchiness. And my learning curve has been massive!!!! Still not happy with my efforts on the canopy but it doesn’t look too bad. And a lot better IMO than the kit one. Plus my under painting the roundels – still can’t believe I did that – Uhmmm! :BANGHEAD2:

So there we go! So much for a quick therapy build nearly a year WOW!!!! :o It has had its ups and downs but overall it has been fun. So a big thanks to all those that followed along and commented and gave some sage advice and encouragements. So till next time enjoy and Happy Modelling.

MAN, Taff, this is just so OUTSTANDING ! Kinda sorry you have finished it. Loved watching this beauty come to life.....Harv :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :punk:

Taff, fantastic result mate! You and Peter between you have really shown what can be done with the Hobbycraft Sea Fury, and you should be mighty proud of your work here. It's a terrific model.

Kev

You gettin an RFI Taff or should I pull your AOOB pics from here for the gallery?

Do the latter Brian. Generally the GB galleries function as an 'RFI space' for group builds, much like the RFI forum does for the WiP forum. You're not really meant to do both.

Kev