1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work Taff. I think that it is brilliant that we have not only one, but two Hobby Craft Sea Fury builds, both expertly made by two modellers with very different approaches - it doesn't get any better (to paraphrase a popular daytime cocking show catch phrase).

:goodjob:

Derek

• 2 months later...

Taff

Awesome progress on the Sea Fury. Nothing like tackling small projects and finishing them off.

Super work on the tailplanes and elevators .

Nothing like your smash moulding technique ... worked perfectly!

Totally agree about the NAV lights ... wouldn't have been hard for the manufacturer to mold them clear to start. Perfect clean up and they look great.

Keep up the stellar work

and keep 'em coming

Peter

Cheers Peter – am trying not to let it beat me – I will see it through!!!!!! I still don’t understand the no clear parts for those lights? They make them in the grey so not sure how hard it would have been to add them to the clear sprue.

Great work Taff. I especially like what you've done with the nav lights. I'm about to embark on the same process with my Matchbox Spitfire.

Kev

Cheers Kevin - I haven’t looked in on the spit for a while. Should have her finished by now! :piliot:

Wonderful work Taff .. is someone surprised to be missing their toothbrush handle ?

Grant

Hi Grant – Nop! No toothbrushes I cut up some of the real big and thick clear sprue you get with the Big Mossie. All rubbed back ok to my eye?

Excellent work Taff. I think that it is brilliant that we have not only one, but two Hobby Craft Sea Fury builds, both expertly made by two modellers with very different approaches - it doesn't get any better (to paraphrase a popular daytime cocking show catch phrase).

:goodjob:

Derek

Hi Derek – Yep I think Peter is making the real thing It is amazing – I am learning so much but also relies how far I have to go – But then that is the buz and driver – to try and get better and try new things!

Hows my B-25 wheels coming on? Might do my glass nose next or perhaps a British Jet hummmm :hmmm: I’ll see what gets me going when I finish this one. It was meant to be a quick build!!!!!

:hmmm: I al very much looking forward to the next progress pics.

Hi mate thanks for looking in – Yeh I pick up ideas around here all the time! Great source of both info and insperation! The trick then is how the hell am I going to get my meager skills to match that. But I do give-um a go.

Hello Taff ,

Just read your comments on the cutaway book.. Hum de hum dedum..

It's pure nakedness is worth you getting it.... Lololol.

By the way great progress and workmanship.

Cheers Marus – Yep that book is great :thumbsup: – Fab picks and I am really enjoying the back story behind them. I haven’t picked it up in a while – The ye old life and stuff just keeps getting in the way!

Happy Days - Taff :D

Hi all Back at last with an update

Been quite awhile but having cocked up the canopy again needed to put this down for a while till I got my love back for this one!!!

On top of that Life, Crimbo and other projects just got in the way. So to cut a long story short to get me back in the flow – my Mother won this in her Church Christmas raffle!!!! So thought I’d use it as a quick modle fix, I bought some extras for her – I will post her in Non-LSP in a bit.

001-BACSpitfireMkIXe_zps60476cc7.jpg

So to re-cap on what I have been doing on this one.

THE DREADED CANOPY STORY.

So in brief – Mk 2 canopy (forget the Mk 1 that wasn’t even in the running) thought I would try and steam it a bit to reshape the middle – And Doh!!!!! Dropped it in to the hot water. Ahhhhhh! :crying:

Think that might have over done the reshape??????!!!!!! But uhm keep on smiling it is Christmas :D

So Bish Bash Bosh - Mk 3 - With lessons learnt this all went a lot better, apart from the glue finger print but that will polish out.

Here here we have Mk 2 after the swim in the hot bath and Mk 3

114-CubanSeaFury_zps068c2f36.jpg

I was pretty cuffed with my efforts on Mk 3. Even got her to work – opened – closed – Oh let’s do that again!!!!! Cool :clap2: Oh I am so easly pleased!

115-CubanSeaFury_zps9c49f4df.jpg

With the back done I moved onto the front piece. I had bought some very thin Brass U at the Telford show for this. So after much fiddle and cutting I got this

116-CubanSeaFury_zps281fe5a4.jpg

Both bits in place on the plane

117-CubanSeaFury_zpse7912659.jpg

Took the plunge and stuck the front in place.

118-CubanSeaFury_zps8db47dd3.jpg

UHMMM!

At this point I looked at it in profile AHHH :unsure: that looks a bit wrong ..........

.........sitting a bit to high, me thinks? :shrug:

KEEP ON SIMILING!!!!!!! :D When you really feel like this :BANGHEAD2:

So out with the calipers and I am about 3mm to high at the mid point – should have rang the alarm bells when I had to pack out the bottom of the front screen – but I was into it and didn’t think to check! It’s at this point that I decided to walk away from her and just leave it for a while.

So at the pic limit and will be back with part two of this epic in a mo.

Taff

Okay BACK PART 2

So after a couple of weeks I decided to re work the master – Okay more redrawing, cutting and rubbing and shaping –And here you can see roughly how much higher Mk 3 is

119-CubanSeaFury_zps49230bfc.jpg

I decided to make this one a bit differently – all in one instead of the two pieces.

I extended the mid joint a bit to give me a chance to cut it and reshape. Also this means that I can use the front rather than making the frame and then place the clear plastic in as separate bits.

So after a bit of plastic heating and bashing I was left with several clear bits. I decided to use the back off one and the front off one of the others. Sorry no picks I was into just trying to get it done!!!!

So this is where I am at the moment. I have started detailing. And yep still can open and close it! :thumbsup: I stuck the back in place with tape so that I can push the front up to it so I can get it in line.

120-CubanSeaFury_zps02882500.jpg

121-CubanSeaFury_zps1858ef80.jpg

122-CubanSeaFury_zps80aa03d7.jpg

Stil not perfect but a lot better and closer to the profile to my eye!

I have also started to tart up this ladies legs and main wheels. So I am now back into trying to push this one along.

Just getting back into it and I am now away for a month!!!!! :shrug: But at least it will be warmer than the UK!

So any hints, tips, comments or crit welcome – not sure how or even if there will be Internet so will get back to you as soon as I can

So till then happy modeling and thanks for looking in.

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Amazing to say the least. I never would have had the drive to keep going back for more and more, re-working the canopy to get it so perfect.

Aces on the progress, as she is really looking mighty fine.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Taff

Amazing to say the least. I never would have had the drive to keep going back for more and more, re-working the canopy to get it so perfect.

Aces on the progress, as she is really looking mighty fine.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Hi Peter

Thanks for the encouragement – My stubborn streak will hopefully see me through to the end…. That still seems miles away at the moment but I will keep on trucking when I get back.

Cheers - Taff :D

• 1 month later...

Taff, Been a while since I checked in to see how were progressing so had to read a few pages back.. Astounding progress indeed. Impressed with your neat flawless workmanship. Way to go... :wow:

Cheers Mate - Glad you are enjoying it – She’s been a fight :fight: but I am getting there bit at a time.

Next update will be here in minute

Taff :D

Hi folks back from 3 and half weeks RR in the sun and have been busy since (Trying to keep warm), so apart from lurking around here and marvelling at some of the wonderful builds old and new haven’t had time to post much.

I am still trying to push this puppy along – So this means finishing up the canopy and make it a permanent addition to the fuselage. Still not 100% happy with how it came out but better than the kit one. I was still a bit out with the length of the front part. So it is sitting a bit to far forward but I need to move on so I will live with it!!!! Don’t think I could face yet another re-work of that canopy! :crying:

Here is a pic of her in profile with bits tacked on – Looks okay to my eye, what do you think.

128-CubanSeaFury_zpsa6006e12.jpg

Also - notice I have splashed out and bought a one of them posh stands that everyone use around here.

Got it from Grant (AirWolf) – Great service Grant ordered on the Tuesday afternoon awaiting me on the Friday – Cool as – a bit of a kit in it’s own right - lets hope it improves my modelling – :D Hahhhhhh!

So with the canopy complete time to start on some of the other bits. I had a look at the rockets and the bombs – Rockets look like quite a lot of work to make them half decent so the bombs look a better prospect. Possibly a bit over scaled but okay-ish!

So out came the thin plastic sheet, I held down a bomb half with tape and traced with a scribe the outline of the fins. This was cut out and a centre line marked. I used this as a template to cut my fins out of thin Brass. Then measured half way up the centre line and cut a grove half way. This allowed me to slot them together. Next a thin strip of brass was cut, which was wrapped around the tail circle and supper glued together. The joint was rubbed flat. I cut off the very thick plastic fins and used a scribe tool to cut the groves for the new tail fins.

Picture says it better than any words. This is my effort next to the chunky kit ones. Not sure what the T shapes is on the front but this got cut of and will be replaced some plastic rod. I made the arm spinner out of some foil and a bit of metal tube and stuck on to the rear.

123-CubanSeaFury_zps5114142c.jpg

Whilst I was cutting brass sheet I started to sort the undercarriage doors. I Scaned and traced these and made some template guides in Illustrator. These where stuck down to the brass with spray glue and the shapes cut out and the rivets put in – Getting a bit better at the riveting. I know practice – practice! Then cut up some more plastic to put the inside structure on.

Picture of my guides and efforts with the kit parts by there side.

126-CubanSeaFury_zps9186d979.jpg

Yeah!!!! :clap2: at last some paint can be applied – Seems like ages since I coloured anything on this one!!!!!

So first the UC doors, I have done some shading to start the weathering but more to do before they are finished. Also stuck some foil on – I saw this on some of the resent redo’s rather than those in service but I liked the look and it broke it up and also adds some interest – in my mind anyway. :shrug:

Might paint the ones on the main doors! I’ll see - what do you think?

127-CubanSeaFury_zps6ec401d2.jpg

Also made some earrings!

First up the under wing spare fuel tanks. Shape looks pretty good. Just added a bit of scribe work – not as good as my riveting – more practice needed!!! Still some more work to do on them but they nearly finished.

124-CubanSeaFury_zps63f89e8d.jpg

Then the bombs got some colour.

125-CubanSeaFury_zpsfd1d2a82.jpg

Okay after some fiddle and masking I am ready to put some paint on her. I stuck the UC doors in place with some tape and Bluetac so that I can paint them at the same time. Plus hopefully all those lovely stripes will line up!!!!

My Idea is to try an experiment so I painted her in Aluminium primer from a rattle can. I will let this harden off. Then the plan is to paint a Grey primer over this then my pre-shade then may Green and stripes. I hope, fingers crossed, when I do some paint chipping I should get the bit of Grey running around the silver which looks a bit more realistic to my eye……. Well we see how it goes – fingers and toes crossed!

129-CubanSeaFury_zpsa3b7e39e.jpg

130-CubanSeaFury_zps400a7614.jpg

:hmmm: Uhmmmm! Looks quite nice all in silver.

Okay folks that’s all for this update – a long weekend coming up so I hope to get some more done. Grey Then the greens next and then just some more bits to finish, like the bomb racks, Oh and that big list of stuffffffff to do - and we should be on to the final lap. :frantic:

Thanks for looking in. All comments/crit welcome

I Wish you all a Happy Easter. And lets hope that that Easter Bunny brings lots of chocolate. See you soon.

LOVELY!!!

I really like it Taff. I have to say I do agree with you, and as a "silver" bird watcher and lover, she does look quite elegant cloaked in a NMF. The bomb fins and rivet work on the gear doors is freakin sick! (The good kind of sick that is)

Guest Peterpools

Taff

Sweet ... awesome progress on the Sea Fury. No question about it: you absolutely have the riveting down pat. Nice plan on proceeding with the paint and finishing.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn: