1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Very nice work indeed Taff! Bomb fins look great and are a major improvement. Same with the undercarriage doors. Looking forward to more!

Kev

Cheers Kev – Thanks for looking in I’ll just keep plugging away

LOVELY!!!

I really like it Taff. I have to say I do agree with you, and as a "silver" bird watcher and lover, she does look quite elegant cloaked in a NMF. The bomb fins and rivet work on the gear doors is freakin sick! (The good kind of sick that is)

Cheers Brian - Sick sure is all that concentration - not sure I'm up to a complete rivet job yet!!!!! Burns up to much nervous energy. :frantic:

Taff

Sweet ... awesome progress on the Sea Fury. No question about it: you absolutely have the riveting down pat. Nice plan on proceeding with the paint and finishing.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Cheer Peter - Uhm :hmmm: Plan oh yeah I'm sure I had one of those once!?!? But only the once!

Yeah, nice job Taff.

Your custom wheel doors look super.

I'm interested to see how your experiment in worn paint works out. In my experience the grey might need to be quite thick to show a rim around the silver but we'll soon see eh? :hmmm:

Keep at it and Happy Easter

First up Thanks to all for looking in and your comments and encouragement –

Hi Peter back and scratching my head again over this one – Think it is more me staring in wonder at what you are doing!!!! And Big Thanks for showing how you did the riveting – So that’s how you use the tape – really does help us beginners on supper detail to pick up tips and uses like this!

Yeah Geedubelyer – You and me both! That’s the trouble with experiments Uhm!!!!

What no safety net. :frantic:

My thinking is try a little bit if it works do some more! If not back to the safety of silver and grey pencils?

Also cheer Maru and Harvey - hope you enjoy the next stage.

Okay time for another chapter.

Well managed to get some more of the other jobs ticked off the list – finished tarting up the bomb racks. The kit arms are very thick and clunky looking. I used them to scribe out the shape in some thin brass.

Next attacked the main body bit with a Dremil and thin grinder from the inside. This allowed me to cut the aperture and slots for the new arms. After the super glue had set off I punched some small circles from thin plastic sheet and poked through some thin Brass wire X8. These where then glued into the holes at each arm end.

Also looking at my ref picture I noticed that gap over the arms is covered and flush with the rest of the cover. This is missing of the kit parts. So a small bit of plastic sheet was bent around a paintbrush end – stuck into place and the rubbed back to shape.

Picture of what I meant. Sure hope this makes more sense? Thought I would try a bomb in place to check that they still fit.

131-CubanSeaFury_zpsa8223e0c.jpg

Right we now go from silver to a nice Grey primer finish. This got a gentle rub back all over, after it had dried.

I do like the Halfords Grey car primer – does go on very smoothly with no fuss or bother!

132-CubanSeaFury_zps28c6a882.jpg

So after a day letting that dry off nice and hard. It was time to break out the old spitty brushy air thingy – to do some pre shading. I am very new to this weathering stuff so am still playing around with it. So rather than going straight for black I thought I would try and do some shade variable to try and give it a less harsh effect. Plus gives me some more practice with the airbrush. Also saw someone somewhere on the web, he pulled out some of the panels in a light colour and it looked quit a nice effect on the finished painting.

So from Silver to Grey to Green mottled!

133-CubanSeaFury_zpsdb44ab31.jpg

After three light coverings of the light Olive colour to blend things together – Uhm I like it! And it is nice to apply some colour as it always looks like you are finally making some progress!

Also I made up and added the pitot tube from some Brass tube with one end rounded off and a small piece of the thin tube on the liquid glue pushed into it. I put this on at this stage so I could blend it into the wing and paint it at the same time as the wing.

But as Murphy would say – :deadhorse:

I hit it and in doing so it split the seam on the wings lead edge – Doh – But it did mean I could try the new trick too me of mixing super glue and talk as a glue come filler – and wow worked a treat! Not sure about over big areas but for quick small fixes I love it and will be using it again. :thumbsup:

134-CubanSeaFury_zps13276091.jpg

Okay now the - oh so simple task of masking all the stripes – It’s at this point that I start to think “What’s so wrong with a nice flat green finish”!!!!! :shrug:

So I printed out the stripe I used to make up my plane profile, scaled them up to fit. My thoughts where to try and use these as a kind of template to work from not to follow exactly. Wow Sounds So Simple :hmmm:

135-CubanSeaFury_zps64413f88.jpg

If I had any idea of how long and how much effort it was going to be to wrap this thing in strips of thin paper and little bits of rolled masking tape!!!!!! SO WHAT WAS WRONG WITH A FLAT COLOUR! :(

Right after maaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyy hours of fiddling and cursing. I finally got to this point!

I do hope this actually works!!!!

136-CubanSeaFury_zps73b64a6e.jpg

Following the same process as with the flat green I started by applying a bit of black to the Dark Green and tried to pick out shapes and lines. Then once again gave it several coats of just the colour to blend it all together.

This is a pic of the underside – sorry forgot to take one of the top!

:hmmm: Uhm! - I didn’t wont something with too much contrast. But I am know wondering whether the colours will be to similar – I will have to lift off one of the small bits later when I get back from work – if it is to close I might just do a light blow over with a black and green mix? Lets hope it’s just my eyes and it will all turn out fine.

137-CubanSeaFury_zps4c232e03.jpg

Okay that’s it for this one. Thanks for looking in and any tips/crits always welcome till next time happy modeling !

Happy Days – Taff :D

OH, my eyes, my eyes ! Looks very cool, but it messes with my eyes, like looking at a 3D puzzle or something !. The bombs are the "bomb" Sorry, had to say that..........Harv :popcorn: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :punk:

Looks lovely Taff!

Im not sure on the contrast yet either. It might be too little................but hey it might just be spot on, and you could end up with a "pre-weathered" plane with much less work!

OH, my eyes, my eyes ! Looks very cool, but it messes with my eyes, like looking at a 3D puzzle or something !. The bombs are the "bomb" Sorry, had to say that..........Harv :popcorn: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :punk:

Yep Harvey It does your eyes a bit – you should try sticking the bleeden stuff on – That does your brain in as well!!! :mental:

Looks lovely Taff!

Im not sure on the contrast yet either. It might be too little................but hey it might just be spot on, and you could end up with a "pre-weathered" plane with much less work!

Cheers Brain – Uhm if only I could be that lucky – we’ll see fingers crossed

Taff

OMG ... Way to go. Looking just incredible.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter - Some more on it's way :D

Okay back to some pics and progress

I have removed all the paper and sticky stuff. I don’t know nearly 2 days to stick it on and about 30 minutes to take it off.

From the top

138-CubanSeaFury_zps0ec1f123.jpg

From the bottom

139-CubanSeaFury_zps770bb1f8.jpg

From the side

140-CubanSeaFury_zps31e88b6b.jpg

Well I am chuffed that I got the wrap around to work and link up – Pos could have been a bit darker – but looking at it now I should of added a drop of white to the light olive rather than making the stripes darker. But there is more contrast to the eye than the camera is picking up. And I didn’t want it to strong! What do you think?

One thing, as it dried the dark green paint seems to have separated and I have got these funny whitish – yellow matt marks appear. Not to worried about them as they will get called weathering by the time it’s finished.

Just wondering, as I am new to the airbrush if it is something I have done – Same mixing, same thinners, same paint manufacturer and same me applying it? First time I have had it. It was a brand new tin of paint and given a very good mix and stir before hand. Any one with any ideas?

Also managed to get some paint on the bomb racks – just the finer details to paint on them and a bit of weathering.

141-CubanSeaFury_zps02313d0a.jpg

That’s all for now thanks for looking in and have good weekend. Spose best get back to doing some work now!!!! :innocent:

Happy Days – Taff :D

Taff old boy, I can't tell you how good it is to see paint... makes me believe there actually is an aeroplane in that hobbycraft box

It's a helluva scheme and perfectly executed - only wish I had your talents with that air pumpy paint thingy :punk:

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals thanks for looking, commenting and the encouragements!

And Peter there is something in there that resemble a Sea Fury. :thumbsup:

And don’t know about the airbrush experten – :hmmm: Uhm this is my 3rd effort with it – I am getting better but one hell’f way to go to get to achieve some of the wonders I see around here.

I am quite chuffed to just get it to spray a flat colour.

A bit of an up-date - was hopping to get this wrapped up this week and take her to the Millton Kynes show on Sunday – BUT Life And Stuff etc. Just never going to happen!!!!

So first up the legs – well the kit ones are a bit simplistic to say the least. I was going to try and make something from scratch but wasn’t sure if I could make it once let alone twice! :shrug: Plus time was a bit of a premium lately so took the option of trying to tart up what was already there. So after adding bits of plastic, brass and stuff this is where they got too.

Also made up the brake system, bent some striped single core electrical cable for the arches. The middle section of the arch was made a bit thicker with brush painting some MR Surface 500. Then some thin copper wire was rapped around this – on the ref photo’s this seems to be a bit of reinforced flexible tube. So I hope once some paint is added and at normal viewing rather than Macro it should look okay. Some small punched disc’s where added on each end. Then some thin steel wire was added to both ends for the hydraulic tubing.

142-CubanSeaFury_zps99967ca1.jpg

After adding some grey primer to blend everything together

143-CubanSeaFury_zps2674136a.jpg

Applied some colour to the brake stuff

144-CubanSeaFury_zpsf66eb58b.jpg

And :yahoo: Yeahhh-haaa Mal at Miracle Masks came through and I can start to put the markings on!!!!

Started with the fiddly ones here you can see the numbers on the UC main door – also as I have started to do her legs I have begun to weather the insides. Bit strong at the mo so will wash a bit more of this away before I coat it in clear.

145-CubanSeaFury_zps6e72b677.jpg

Also put the reg number on the tail very small and very fiddly but with the use of some harsh language managed to get them on and straight. I did get a bit of colour run down one of the panel lines which I have patched. To much paint to soon Dohhhh! :(

So now ready to put the main markings on

:hmmm: Thinking about it ..........and hindsight and all that!.......... I might of made a mistake in put some base white on the whole roundel! The white only needed to go behind the red triangle for the white star – but fingers and all my toes crossed I don’t end up with a white out line

So after much faff and fiddle got the masks on and lined up

White first – Think there is a plane under all that paper and tape – masked ready for the Red

146-CubanSeaFury_zpsfbaeb6b6.jpg

Next the Red

147-CubanSeaFury_zpsb90f8fdb.jpg

Now the blue. Couldn’t get an enamel paint that matches the Blue reference that is used in the Cuban flag out of the pot! So I made a bit of a home brew of two blues.

148-CubanSeaFury_zpsf435cd39.jpg

Also you can see the tail number on this one.

I will let them rest and dry and then the big reveal tonight. Fingers crossed the white doesn’t come and bite me in the arse!!!!! :frantic:

On to some pics of the rudder. This was always going to be a PIA to mask up and YEP it didn’t let me down – on and off several times with a bit of coursing thrown in for good measure. Because I new it would be a pain to line up I gave myself some wriggle room when I did the original layout by putting some extra length in the horizontal stripes so I could always line them individually. Eventually got them within a nats knacker of lining up so just a minor tweak was needed – but it didn’t help my blood pressure.

Also I knew because of the tight curve at the top and bottom that it would be difficult to bend over the contour! So it will need a bit of a touch up to fix but other wise I love how it has come out – just need the roundels to be as nice as this and I will be a happy chappy. :D

The Red

149-CubanSeaFury_zps70cbfaa1.jpg

The Blue

150-CubanSeaFury_zps3cb4bae5.jpg

Masks Off – You can see the retouch needed.

151-CubanSeaFury_zpsbfb31bb1.jpg

I like it a lot, what do you think?

It’s all a bit bright at the mo but a bit of weathering should calm it down.

So just the Yellow numbers on the side and then just the rear nav lights and foot rest and done……..

……NOT….. Oh forgot about the jobs left to do list ……..AHHHHHHH bump! :BANGHEAD2:

Oh well!!! a show to go to on Sunday so I will see what the Modelling Gods drop into my lap

:hmmm: uhm!!! Sounds expensive!!!!! But oh so nice!!!! :innocent:

Till next time thanks for looking in and any comments, tips and crits welcome.

Happy Days - Taff :D