1/32 scale HE-219

Cunumdrum61

Guest Ta152H1

I like the look of the ZM kit better. The problem seems to be a/c load out. When those pix were taken I assume this was an unloaded a/c without much fuel,ammo and of course,the crew and so the balance may be off. This is just conjecture on my part but I think at least logical?

J

Jerry,

your point makes a lot of sense but,on the other hand,even the most heavily loaded AC is unloaded before being loaded :coolio: ...even if I like compressed oleos best,they give the aircraft a more aggressive stance!

Cheers

Lou

Jerry,

your point makes a lot of sense but,on the other hand,even the most heavily loaded AC is unloaded before being loaded :coolio: ...even if I like compressed oleos best,they give the aircraft a more aggressive stance!

Cheers

Lou

Or it could be a plane that just returned from combat all empty.

Radu

A little more information :

V-17.jpg

omg-068-069.jpg

heinkel_he219_owls.jpg

The color image shows the nose gear oleo less extended, but the rudders are missing.

Another twin with extended oleo, maybe it's not that unusual:

xF7F-4N80610LT1peakeviagreaterstlouis.jpg

xF7F-3P80503LL121950WEScarboroughcollectionviagreaterstlouis.jpg

Tigercat_side.jpg

Mystery almost solved?

Cheers,

D.B.

Anyone have any more info on release dates for both kits? I'm probably going to end up getting one of them, but it comes down to price and release date. I'll probably grab the Z-M one, because I love their approach to kit design, but all of my big-scale Revell kits have been such pleasant experiences.

Does anyone on here know the size of the plane in 1/32? Space is as always a factor, so I'd like to know inch measurements to see if I could even fit one of these in the case.

Matt :party0023:

Just a random thought (most of my thoughts are) - could it be that the oleos were extended to get a better wing angle for takeoff (maybe the oleos were ground-adjustable)? Again, just a random thought, but I do have to admit I like the look of the extended Revell struts over those of the ZM compressed struts. I'll probably buy the Revell example, more as a money thing than anything else. Mike, since you brought up the Dinah, I'd like to see a Gekko (Irving) in 1/32nd scale - now that would be brilliant!

Regards,

Jason

Variation in the pressure in struts of aircraft is a common fact of aviation life.

The belief they will all be the same is incorrect.

Aircraft empty weight,crew,fuel load.armament all lead to variation of strut position. Then combine that with gradually bleeding pressure from strut seals over time leads to a limitless combination to suite everyone.

Given the long thin nosegear leg I imagine some brass and metal replacements will appear as well you will be able to choose to your pleasure.

It's impossible, if not totally fruitless to compare struts on one ac to those on a other. Designs are totally different, so there is just no way to comare apples to door knobs meaningfully.

OK, point taken.

Do you have anything substantive to offer on the matter of the He 219 nose strut?

Best Regards,

D.B.

It may be that this a/c had them built this way but it looks to me like the oleos are hyper-extended on all 3 landing gear. This mistake has been made on a lot of other kits in all scales when the kit maker uses tech drawings that show the struts in full extension. Is this what has happened here again?

It has been almost a decade since I researched this a/c while making my resin detail set so my memory is fuzzy but can you see why I am concerned?

Otherwise,it looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the first guys' results with a nice wavey,stripey cammo job.

J

Can I ask, when you say "tech drawings that show the struts in full extension" did you mean:

- as if the a/c was in flight with the gear down, i.e. extended without even the weight of the a/c itself on the oleos?

or

- on the ground, under its own weight but at completely empty weight?

If they have been dimensioned for the kit as the former, this would be too extended for an a/c on the ground.

But if the latter, then I could live with an "empty a/c" sit on the model.

Presumably the captured a/c shots would be empty not only of fuel, crew and ammunition, but might even have had e.g. the armament and radar boxes stripped out, and would be lighter than even a normal service empty weight?

Can I ask, when you say "tech drawings that show the struts in full extension" did you mean:

- as if the a/c was in flight with the gear down, i.e. extended without even the weight of the a/c itself on the oleos?

or

- on the ground, under its own weight but at completely empty weight?

If they have been dimensioned for the kit as the former, this would be too extended for an a/c on the ground.

But if the latter, then I could live with an "empty a/c" sit on the model.

Presumably the captured a/c shots would be empty not only of fuel, crew and ammunition, but might even have had e.g. the armament and radar boxes stripped out, and would be lighter than even a normal service empty weight?

I mean aircraft in the air with no load on the landing gear. I have seen drawings like this and resultant models with the wrong look on the landing gear. I may be wrong,but the pictures shown so far in this thread of German a/c all seem to be captured examples and so maybe a little suspect as they were outside the care of the "blackmen" when photographed and also probably completely empty of fuel,ammo of of course,crew.

So,as has been said. The look of the scissors is down to what the modeler wants!

J