1/32 British Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion for the Tamiya F-4J?

Derek B

F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Conversion?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase such a conversion set if it were to be produced?

• Would you by one/do you think its a good idea?
    • Do you think its not a good idea/ wouldn't buy one?
    • Not relevant to you?

Hi,

I already wrote it a long time ago but I think there are only two viable Brit Rhino large scale solutions from an investment perspective:

1. An injected plastic model

2. A complete model not requiring the Tamiya kit and relying on female mold vacforms for most large parts and resin for the details. It would not be cheap either but could stay near the 250$. HOWEVER, I'm afraid that the use of the word "vac" would deter far too many potential buyers... So, even in this case, I'm not sure return on investment would be guaranteed.

So, practically, this leaves us with option 1.

Hi,

I already wrote it a long time ago but I think there are only two viable Brit Rhino large scale solutions from an investment perspective:

1. An injected plastic model

2. A complete model not requiring the Tamiya kit and relying on female mold vacforms for most large parts and resin for the details. It would not be cheap either but could stay near the 250$. HOWEVER, I'm afraid that the use of the word "vac" would deter far too many potential buyers... So, even in this case, I'm not sure return on investment would be guaranteed.

So, practically, this leaves us with option 1.

That was my original intention Thierry for that very reason - affordability. I am very confident in my own abilities to produce the necessary vacform and resin master patterns, but the real problem that I have is finding someone with the necessary skills and experience to produce the required female mould tooling for the fuselage vacform components without destroying the master patterns (I am aware that resin copies of the master patterns can be made and therefore become sacrificial in nature, but this inherently introduces all manner of shrinkage, fit and size problems).

Derek

That's so sad to hear, I will admit that I was pretty excited about the prospect of the S & M conversion being announced later in the year, however I also understand the reasoning behind the cancellation of the project, just disappointed :(

Regardless, I am still going to plug away at making my own kit-bash conversion in time for the Tamiya F-4J - I like to use resin and make my own moulds to cast things, maybe if I do actually get to make decent moulds they could be useful to others saving them a little work and time?

I have thought about the British munitions stores etc and was basically just going to plagurise my 1/32 Typhoons and Tornado stores for what I need, again making copies and altering them to suit.

I have the Hasegawa kits (FG.1 and FRG.2) kits so may look at using the Tamiya tub and just upscaling the detail from the 1/48 kits?

Its a lot of bright ideas at the moment (as usual from me ;) ) but this is something I do want to do.

Regardless, I am still going to plug away at making my own kit-bash conversion in time for the Tamiya F-4J - 

Frank Mitchell did this conversion, and shows how it is done in a series of tutorials here on LSP. Mine is 80% done, just need to get off my duff and finish it. It isn't difficult, but it is involved- Finishing the homemade widened,seamless intakes was a satisfying achievement for me.

Part 1- http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=211

Edit- Here is mine, with the finished intakes- Again, not difficult, but not a weekend project either............http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=33470

Edited by Lee White

Warriormcv - it's Gary at GT Resins that's said he's not going to do one now - I'm assuming the S and M one is completely different and still on the go...

Iain

Oops, my mistake sorry. I thought that they were one and the same -

I did wonder why $ was being mooted lol

Edit- Here is mine, with the finished intakes- Again, not difficult, but not a weekend project either............http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=33470

Lee - bear in mind I don't think Frank got it quite right with the area between the intakes and exhausts - creates far too much of a coke bottle shape when viewed from above - transition from intakes to jet pipes is a lot smoother IMHO

Iain

Lee - bear in mind I don't think Frank got it quite right with the area between the intakes and exhausts - creates far too much of a coke bottle shape when viewed from above - transition from intakes to jet pipes is a lot smoother IMHO

Iain

Ian you are exactly correct about the shape of Franks fuselage.  He did do a fantastic job building the model, and then taking the time to share how he did it with all of us.