German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Loic

This is all I have on radar operator's 'pit.

image031.jpg

Not a lot in there. No ejector seat. Really is a test setup - similar to the radar ops pit in the Ar 234B. Thought I'd send it so you've got something to work on.

Note French roundel on wing. So this is after liberation from the Luftwaffe!

Matt

Hi guys,

@ Jamme: thanks for the kind words.

@ Matt many, many thanks my friend. It seams to be very spacy and cosy in there ... not to say confortable with that head rest :o

Here are some pics of the wings, the lower ones with the buldges on the outside.

The "cut arround" is not clean yet, I let a few 1/10 mm that I will sand when the wings are glued in the hope to get a better finish.

DSC05462.jpg

Closer look at the upper wings: bellow the one that I did cut too much which made the sand job more difficult...

DSC05463.jpg

Finally, the double diedra thing I was talking about.

The red line is the top of the inner wing, the blue one is the top of the outter wing...

DSC05465b.jpg

They cross in the green arrow area and the kit parts are dead flat :D

Thanks for passing by guys!

Edited by Loic

Loic - do you have the 'vom original zum modell' book on the 335? My dad just picked it up - haven't had a chance to look at it but I can scan through it & see what's there if you don't have access - he also recommended the monogram close-up and monogram monarch books on the 335 but they are hard to find these days :closedeyes:

Edited by richdlc

Hi Loic,

I found the book on the Do 335, written (in German) by German Manfred Griehl. A quick scan through the book on the nightfighter version gives this result. According to mr. Griehl 3 prototypes of the night-fighter versions were built:

V10, prototype for the A-6 Behelfsnachtjager, equipped with FuG 218 radar and captured at Oranienburg in april 1945 by the Soviets. This aircraft may or may not have had the rear cockpit similar to the trainer version. I remember having seen a profile of what I believe was this prototype in a Russian publication on the Pfeil in this set-up. It had radar antennae on the wings and two-tone splinter camo. Uwe Feist in the old Aero series (published in 1966) book on the 335 also shows this aircraft as a trainer version.

V15 prototype of the B-6 version.Not finished before the end of the war and captured by the Americans. There may be photos around of this plane.

V16, another A-6 prtotype, captured by the French and turned into flyable condition after two years of hard work. The book has photos of this aicraft, but none in German markings, alas. The photo of the radar operators' cockpit is the same as the one Matt published here. The oxygen bottle is a French addition by the way. The book also has a rudimentary French cross-section drawing of the pilot's and the operators' pit, showing a dotted sideview of their seats.

V.NJG 2 tested a D0 335A-1 in february 1945.

I have also found the two-part article, in Flugzeug Classic magazine from Germany. Again, no photos of the nightfighter prototype in German markings. It has a shot of the cockpit though with some French equipment in it.

Hope this is of some use.

Regrads,

Hans

@ Rich,

I have the monogram close up but that is all I have.

@ Christian,

Well, I think I will cut the wings in 2 and reassemble on a frame... wait and see.

@ Hans,

most interesting indeed.

I would love to have a look at this pit pic (if different from the one above).

I am currious about the camo on the V16 pic too: maybe it was not repainted?

For the camo of my model, I will use artistic license if no better choice.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hi Loic,

The pics of the aircraft when still in Germany under French supervision are very grainy, no national markings are visible (painted over I think), nor a splinter camo scheme. The other French Dornier did originally have the splinter scheme, so most likely the V16 had it as well. From the reproduced photos the upper surfaces look dark (green), the undersurfaces light (grey or blue), the demarcation line between the two is the same as on other Dornier 335s. Of course you can paint it in French colours if you like (green over all) :closedeyes: . The radio callsign is not known, the werknr. was 240312 and most likely it had the number 12/16 on the tail (Griehl). The cockpit I mentioned photo is of the front cockpit. I can make scans if you need anything specific. In the meantime keep up the great work!

Hans

Edited by Hans

Thanks Hans ;)

The french colors sucks me think :closedeyes: I want the nightfighter mottling on this babe.

Well, this said, I had the "most incredible" idea this evening: I dialed "Do 335 francais" into Google and voila:

m172s.jpg

m17x.jpg

img_0120.jpg

Pics found from french modelling forums "Master194.com" and "Fighters"...

Guys, I feel so stupid now :doh: but that is cool: now, I know what the rear canopy looks like!

Edited by Loic

Hey Loic-

many moons ago I had built the Nightfighter version of the Arrow in 72nd scale by Dragon. I loved the boxart of the time, action packed scene. Depicted the two seat nightfighter with the "astrodome" rear canopy, complete with droptanks, antenna array, flame dampners, and mottled camo. One of the coolest paintings I have ever seen. I have often thought about building it in 32nd, and your build so far is making think about this project again. I searched google, and found an article over on ARC by a gentleman who built the old Dragon kit. Now you got me thinking of building one!!!!! :BANGHEAD2: As soon as you mentioned "mottling"........

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/rh/articles.php?id=5681

So much plastic, so little time......

Keep up the nice work.

THOR :ninja:

Hi Thor,

I initially did not really mentionned "mottling" as you certainly have noticed it :doh:

I have edited my post and corrected my spelling.

Thanks for the link, that is basicly the camo I intend to do.

I am still collecting intel and things starts to slowly take shape. I had to slow down my work because I want to be sure of what I do before hacking back...

I know that repairing errors can be 10 times more complicated and time consuming than doing things good at first time.

As I have aldeardy done a couple of mistakes because I changed my mind to night-fighter version, I do not want to add some more useless work and pain...

Edited by Loic

Hello there,

here is a short update of what was done during this weekend. I have found some more intel so I have mainly been working on the fuselage internal structure.

I have added the wall between the front and rear pits, the wall between the rear pit and the fuel tank compartment which, by the way, was divided by almost 3.

On the lower end, the rear most wall of the front wheel well was added. The front pit floor (which is also the wheel well roof) was build up too.

DSC05466.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05468.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

Here is what it looks like when fitted in the fuselage :

DSC05470.jpg

You may have noticed too that I had to rebuild the fuselage sides of the rear pit (I did previously cut them out as I wanted to show the fuel tank... )

Once again, not too much details here , I am building the main structure only so far.

Thanks for following !

Edited by Loic

Thanks Jamme,

I am glad youy like it.

This is a slow build but the simple fact that it is not already stalled makes me happy ;)

That is one enourmous improvement compared to my last 3 or 4 builds !

Thanks Christian,

hopefully, all this hard time adjusting things and making sure everything aligns perfectly, etc... will pay off in the end.

There is nothing that I hate most than find out in the very end that the fit is not good or that you can not close the fuselage due to what ever reason, etc... you get the point.

That's my 5P rule again here: Perfect Planning Prevent Pathetic Performance :D

I must admit I have not been quite good at planning so far !

Thanks for passing by ;)