German twin : Vac Do-335 nightfighter

Loic

Guest Nigelr32

What a stunning build Loic!!

Looking at this, I quite fancy having a go at a vacform kit??

Keep up the good work and keep those images coming.

I guys,

thanks alot for the kind words :speak_cool:

@ Rich: thanks for your offer, if I need anything, I will PM you ;)

@ Nigel: try it mate! assuming the kit is good, it is not that complicated in fact.

@ Derek: I agree, nice pic! It does not seam so enormous from this angle... but it is quite hudge in fact.

Well, no real spectacular progress today... I was not happy with the rear part of the air duct so I have modified it and added an angle to the bottom part to supress the "step" I had due to fitting issues. Not too shure this is clear... I may post pics later to illustrate.

So, in reality, no big progress, just re doing what was already done.... but it looks much better to me.

Edited by Loic

Its looking fantastic! 335 has always been one of my favorite WW2 planes. I am very much looking forward to watching your progress.

Seeing all of these vac builds has me itching to start on my connie! ...but I must be patient :rolleyes:

Hello there,

thanks Dave.

I myself find this build and A/C pretty exciting indeed :D

Here are pics of the mod on the rear duct

Initial state:

DSC05440.jpg

There is a gap between the bottom of the internal of the duct and the rear most triangular part. This gap is 3x0.75mm thick (3 pieces of styren).

New state:

DSC05441.jpg

The duct was dismanteled, some shims added and a new piece was glued at an angle to have a smooth end of the duct. The gap is reduced by almost 90%.

I hope the difference is visible from your perspective. If not really obvious on the duct, you can figure it by looking at the fin piece where the gap reduction is rather visible.

It is not one enourmous problem but well, you know what we say when we add all those details that wont be visible afterall: "I know it is there"!

In that case, it worked the opposite: the problem was possibly not quite obvious but "I knew it was there"... :ninja:

Edited by Loic

Hi guys,

short update today as I did not have too much time to model this last week.

I started to get the wings out of the frame and learned my lessons the hard way... I have indeed cut out the first upper wing before sanding it and the complete cut out make it rather weak and flexible making the sanding operation much more complicated. Anyway, that wont stop me :D

I have also started looking at the engines and well, this is not going to be a piece of cake I am afraid. I am trying to find intel before I choose the road I am going to take and start hacking.

Finaly, and possibly the most important ... I changed my mind: I will aim for the A6 version named the nightfighter :evil_laugh: I am a bit nuts about nightfighters plus I like the camo much better.

More to come as things progress ;)

Edited by Loic

Finaly, and possibly the most important ... I changed my mind: I will aim for the A6 version named the nightfighter :evil_laugh: I am a bit nuts about nightfighters plus I like the camo much better.

Night fighters...Now you're talking...:speak_cool:

Derek

Loic

The DVD I've sent includes photo of the radar operator's station behind the pilot - no radar fitted (as this is photographed when the French tested the aircraft). If you are doing it 'as was' rather than 'what if' the aircraft carried same camo as all other aircraft and didn't as far as I'm aware, carry radar. Interesting choice though. I've never seen this prototype modelled - usually get an A-11/12 trainer with radar antenna...

Matt

From memory the nightfighter prototype the French captured did carry FuG 218 Neptun radar for a short period (around january 1945). No photos exist of this radar set-up, however.

Hans

Thanks a lot guys,

any intel on the night fighter type worth gold to me :thumbsup:

I thought getting intel on the "regular" Do-335 was difficult... :tumble:

From what I think I know so far, the night figthers versions were initialy the A6 and the B8 (with extended wing span) was supposed to be the one that see "mass" production.

From what I found once again, it seams the B8 did never show any kind of "production" (for Do-335, "production" means "at least 1 prototype build" :D) so I guess the captured A/C was an A6 (or something close).

Let's see what I can assemble in term of intel...

Edited by Loic

Hi Loic,

I have an article on the French Do 335s from a German magazine and some blurry pics of the captured night fighter prtotype (sans radar) still in German markings in a German book on the Pfeil hidden somewhere deep in my pile of books and magazines. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Hans

Hi guys,

I had to stop hacking the fuselage and have turned my attention to the wings because I am looking for some intel on the radar operator pit and also because if I continue the cut out with the bomb bay and front LG doors, I will only be left with a piece of Swiss cheese A/C and that might drasticly complicate the rest of the build.

I have now the 4 main parts of the wings out of their styren frames. I now need to build the internal frame.

Working on the wings, I found out that they actually have a double diedra... which is not going to be fun cause the kit do not include that subtility...

Some pics to come later today.