Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Hi

I would love to have a booth – on my wish list.

When I sprayed the Airfix Mosquito which is slightly on the large side. I cut up a Dyson hover box and just made sure the windows where open this and a Hannants delivery box have become my spray booths – Lets see what Father Christmas brings – :yahoo:

Then I just need to work out how to smuggle it past the wife. :wicked:

Looking forward to the next episode Brian :popcorn:

Happy Days

Taff

That's awesome Brain! You're really getting this one together at a professional level. The added detail has really taken this kit to a whole new level. Can't wait to see her with paint on it. This is going to look like one of the coolest Flankers I've seen built.

Matt

Thanks Matt. :) Im not sure how professional it will end up being but its finally starting to come together.....I hope.

Hi

I would love to have a booth – on my wish list.

When I sprayed the Airfix Mosquito which is slightly on the large side. I cut up a Dyson hover box and just made sure the windows where open this and a Hannants delivery box have become my spray booths – Lets see what Father Christmas brings – :yahoo:

Then I just need to work out how to smuggle it past the wife. :wicked:

Looking forward to the next episode Brian :popcorn:

Happy Days

Taff

Thanks Taff............actually I had to "modify" my Artograph spray booth just to accommodate the big girl. I had to remove the metal hood and raise up my work light. I think from there im going to (as crazy as it sounds) suspend the SU from her exhaust pipes (which will be masked as they are going to get foil) from the ceiling. This way I can, if i make the cable from the ceiling correctly, spin the SU along the length of her axis and get even coverage both in primer and paint.

Well see how that goes...... :unsure:

Where dit you findt the bolts on the mlg.

Its very nice.

Thanks Mark

Thank for the nice words............if you mean the nuts on the landing gear, I got them from I got them from Scale Hardware.

They even make insy weensy teeny tiny wee little bolts that mesh with those nuts....

Well just got done with a 4 or 5 hr session of getting all the brutal little "prickly bits" on like all the little radar antenna, receiver blades, multitudes of pitot tubes (including the giant hypodermic needle in the nose) and static discharge tubes that Im SURE I will brake off many.........if not all before im done. :rolleyes:

Well Im off to gix up the lamps, start to mask this thing off without breaking anything off, and make up a cable to suspend the SU from. yay.

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Taff............actually I had to "modify" my Artograph spray booth just to accommodate the big girl. I had to remove the metal hood and raise up my work light. I think from there im going to (as crazy as it sounds) suspend the SU from her exhaust pipes (which will be masked as they are going to get foil) from the ceiling. This way I can, if i make the cable from the ceiling correctly, spin the SU along the length of her axis and get even coverage both in primer and paint.

Sounds like a brilliant idea, suspending the plane for spraying. Great tip, thanks mate!

If you spin it fast enough and hold the airbrush steady you should be able to get some really funky effects.

:speak_cool:

HAHA! Wait till you see the craziness I have in store.................I hope it works like I think its going to.................

Got most all of the "pointy bits" on. Sheeeesh. It will take a MIRACLE for me not to knock something off this thing before its all over…………

Pitot tubes, rear and forward radar antennas, along with some stainless hypo tube for the chute door actuator–

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

The hypodermic syringe that already impaled me once -

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

MORE…………………

I also got the static discharge rods (that I broke off originally) and port fin radar arrays on as well –

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

After I modified my paint booth in order to suspend the SU from its butt vertically for painting, I stopped at the hardware store for the equipment I thought I would need……..I swivel lock, some bass wood strips and some dry wall anchors. (pics of this rig when I'm done assembling it).

In the mean time, I got about 90% of the masking done as well. Its never taken me this long to mask any model I've ever made…………..about 5 -6 hrs to get it to this point, including using Tamiya tape and liquid mask to cover up the holes and gaps –

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

Frisket film, Tamiya tape used to mask the canon blast shield and previously foiled cannon shroud. Also finished up the cockpit masking –

DSC02903.jpg

I took tonight off from work to continue the work and get the painting rig made.

All that is left now as far as masking goes is masking off the exhaust areas that will be foiled.

All for now lads………

Cheers,

Brian

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Awesome masking job! All the small details look fantastic as well. Can't wait to see the paint flowing on the beauty.

:popcorn: :thumbsup: :popcorn: :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Peter

Very brave thing to do adding all those pointy bits before paint! :bow:

Covering up your stand with cling film to keep it looking like new is very uncool though.

I've got some primer overspray on mine and Im hoping to add more colours and weathering to give it a

"in service" look. Just need to give it some nice exhaust staining.

I just hope your paintwork comes out terrific as I'm sure it will.

Just remember to take it steady not the "bull in a china shop" airbrushing technique we both aspire to! :evil_laugh:

Ha! you got my 2000th post! :yahoo:

Well, note to self. Never compete against Brian at a model contest. Your build will make mine look like it was slapped together by a very smart chimp. Your work is unbelievable man, wish I could work that well. Looks like you're finally to the painting stage, it's going to look so cool once you start getting the color on it.

Matt :party0023:

Ugh, absolutely outstanding as always. I hope to reach your level, one day... :bow:

You kiddin me?!? That Zero is amazing Jason, and every bit as good as I could do.

Brian

Awesome masking job! All the small details look fantastic as well. Can't wait to see the paint flowing on the beauty.

:popcorn: :thumbsup: :popcorn: :thumbsup: :popcorn:

Peter

Thanks Peter, I cant wait for paint either.........but hint hint..........pics later to come shes looking a bit different after tonight...............

Very brave thing to do adding all those pointy bits before paint! :bow:

Covering up your stand with cling film to keep it looking like new is very uncool though.

I've got some primer overspray on mine and Im hoping to add more colours and weathering to give it a

"in service" look. Just need to give it some nice exhaust staining.

I just hope your paintwork comes out terrific as I'm sure it will.

Just remember to take it steady not the "bull in a china shop" airbrushing technique we both aspire to! :evil_laugh:

Ha! you got my 2000th post! :yahoo:

Yay! 2K! Ooops sry for da shoutin there. lol Covering the stand was just temporary experiment. I lost the cover right after I got my brilliant hang-her-by-her-butt Ideer. It worked amazing!!!

And yes, I did feel the "its not quite there and maybe could use a touch more here" syndrome but I held fast and think I did perty well..........so far anyway.

Well, note to self. Never compete against Brian at a model contest. Your build will make mine look like it was slapped together by a very smart chimp. Your work is unbelievable man, wish I could work that well. Looks like you're finally to the painting stage, it's going to look so cool once you start getting the color on it.

Matt

Thanks Matt! No, I doubt its going to come out anywhere near what you may think, and I have seen yours and definitely looks great so far.............no chimps in site man!

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I JUST got done with a huge 4 hr finish masking, touch up, clean and prime session. Pics tomorrow. :D

Cheers,

Brian

Amazing! Outstanding! Wonderful! Should buy some more superlatives to do your work justice!

This one is near the size of a RC model. Pretty big. Will dwarf even solid cabinets. Must be sometimes a pain to hold it right. Not to forget about the inertial momentum while handling it! I remember a photo of a modeler holding his Elco PT (1/35 scale) with the bare feet while working at the other end. Maybe you did so too? :D

Regards!

- dutik

Amazing! Outstanding! Wonderful! Should buy some more superlatives to do your work justice!

This one is near the size of a RC model. Pretty big. Will dwarf even solid cabinets. Must be sometimes a pain to hold it right. Not to forget about the inertial momentum while handling it! I remember a photo of a modeler holding his Elco PT (1/35 scale) with the bare feet while working at the other end. Maybe you did so too? :D

Regards!

- dutik

Thanks dutik! Kind words act as inspiration...........and I will certainly need it . HA, I actually had dreams of getting this beastie done for the US NATs back in Aug. Im not even very sure I can get it done by the new deadline for the GB of Oct 31st.........but I will certainly try. :) Ive cone too far to bork things up now, so Im not going to rush to meet the GB deadline but Id sure like to as it would be my first completed (or any for that matter) GB.

Brian, what's that blue stuff on the tamiya masking tape?

Yes yes, Kev is 100% correct. Its blue MicroScale liquid mask:

53de1f3f330a9ef02d30a6c83601.jpg

Works quite well as an insurance policy for any little holes or spaces I may have left open on accident. With all of the funky compund curves and inside areas to mask, I figured I probably did miss some areas and might need it.

It also works great for clear parts and round areas that masking tape may not cover that well like the IRST sensor ball on the windscreen.

It dries pretty fast, and flexible, and works great over most all paints Ive tried. (Im not an overall Acrylic paint guy and just use Acrylics for detail so not sure on that as its water based paint)

I did manage to get some pretty noticable progress this weekend.................did not get a chance to post pics to night..............so pics of the progress as well as my "paint rig" I came up with tomorrow; or technically later today after I get home from work and catch a couple zzzzs

Cheers,

Brian