Foiled Has Royal Australian Air Force P-40E

Out2gtcha

More progress foiling last night:

DSC03337.jpg

DSC03348.jpg

DSC03347.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

Also got on 2 areas that were (and knew it going in) very difficult to foil, including the gun ports. These will both have the leading edges painted white, but needed to foil the whole area, to get the convincing look. This will also afford me the ability to use the salt weathering technique (but just a bit, not too much here) and get a few chips on the leading edges -

DSC03341.jpg

DSC03340.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

The other very difficult area to foil (even MORE so than the gun port covers) was the single lower, middle cowl panel. This one panel has to be foiled in a single piece without wrinkles, since it sits right out front and will be very visible.

This, as expected took me a few trys to do, as this one panel has some very hellacious compound curves, but thanks to the stretching properties of the super thick, and super strong foil, as well as some Vaseline to keep the burnishing stick from creating wrinkles, it finally came out the way I wanted -

DSC03338.jpg

DSC03345.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

More work to proceed this weekend.

Thanks for looking in on me, and cheers.

Brian

Thanks again guys for all the nice words. Sean, not to worry mate, she will definitely get some weathering when the foiling/painting stage is done. :D

Work proceeded this weekend……….

Worked mainly on getting the gear, and other "non foil" silver stuff out of the way and painted.

Brake lines added, and polished tubing added for oleos………….gear is done, and center of tail wheel is painted –

DSC03352.jpg

DSC03349.jpg

Also got the ailerons painted dope silver as well –

DSC03354.jpg

DSC03353.jpg

Then I just proceeded to hit the foiling again. This P-40 is not going to be any contest project, and there are some panels I might redo but for the most part im not worrying too much about the obvious and mostly minor flaws.

I got the underside complete –

DSC03362.jpg

DSC03363.jpg

MORE…………………………

Worked on the upper turtle deck –

DSC03360.jpg

Upper wings –

DSC03359.jpg

Also worked on the cowling and exhaust panels –

DSC03358.jpg

DSC03364.jpg

DSC03366.jpg

DSC03367.jpgv

Like I said nothing perfect here, and I think the look will change and only get better and more worn with the addition of weathering at the end. The grained foil itself, is actually a lot less shiny than the pics indicate, but again will improve in realism with weathering.

Thanks again for looking in on me.

Cheers,

Brian