Foiled Has Royal Australian Air Force P-40E

Out2gtcha

Those exhausts look fantastic Brian! It's an area I've never been able to achieve a convincing result.

Kev

Thanks Kev, its usually an issue with me too, but I found this layering technique quite satisfying, and each comes out a bit different, kinda like staining and rusting on the real thing.

Question for you P-40 experts out there.................I was curious about (what look like) two formation or recognition lights under the fuse:

DSC03435.jpg

Hasegawa calls out to paint the fuselage color. Any one know exactly what these are? If they are lights are they clear or colored like some formation lights Ive seen?

Also, as far as the holes (for again what look like) formation or recognition lights on the sides of the fuse, is this correct?

P1080964.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Sorry I'm no expert... personally I hate that term but under the fuselage is Navigation lights and the side of the fuselage is a formation light and they were fitted but ommit the Stencil Markings(shown in the photo) over the entire aircraft , when we stripped them to bare metal maintanance fitters here never bothered to re apply them!

Looking very nice,this is the best effort i've seen yet of a 2OTU P40 to date!!! The soil here in Mildura is a very dark red something to concider if you weather the model?

Sean

Edited by camelhead

Sorry I'm no expert... personally I hate that term but under the fuselage is Navigation lights and the side of the fuselage is a formation light and they were fitted but ommit the Stencil Markings(shown in the photo) over the entire aircraft , when we stripped them to bare metal maintanance fitters here never bothered to re apply them!

Looking very nice,this is the best effort i've seen yet of a 2OTU P40 to date!!! The soil here in Mildura is a very dark red something to concider if you weather the model?

Sean

KEWL..........thanks Sean.

As for the weathering, yes, im, using a redish/sand colored wash across all of the panel lines, as well as introducing some Tamiya Weathering Pallet weathering and oil washes in certain spots.

So the two side fuse formation lights were red.........what about the under fuse lights, were they clear? The reason I ask, is Ive seen quite a few pics of P-40 Es with those two under fuse navigation lights covered over, or with no actual lights in them at all:

IMGP4232.jpg

Brian

to be honest Brian I've never seen period photos of the lights under the fuse but we have recovered several panels from Mildura P40 crash sites and your right an aluminium disk is riverted onto the hole where the light would be mounted. Sorry bud can't help you there!

Sean

to be honest Brian I've never seen period photos of the lights under the fuse but we have recovered several panels from Mildura P40 crash sites and your right an aluminium disk is riverted onto the hole where the light would be mounted. Sorry bud can't help you there!

Sean

No issues Sean. I replied to your PM, and yes, it is a distinct possibility; just need to finish her and we can discuss more.

As for the under fuse lights I think Ill leave them NFM as I have see on the previous photo, as well as others including the call-out by Hasegawa in their instructions.

Cheers,

Brian

In the Kagero book of the P-40, Volume One, the drawings show the lights on the sides, but not on the bottom. However, in all of the photos I've been able to find of wartime P-40's, the fuselage side lights aren't there at all, but do appear on restored aircraft frequently.

Edited by Typhoonattack1

I found the same thing Kev.

However I wanted to check with Sean on this one as he is the subject matter expert on the Mildura P-40s -

............ side of the fuselage is a formation light and they were fitted but ommit the Stencil

I think per Sean, Ill install the lights but leave off the stencils. It will also add a smidgen (more) color to the side of the fuse as well.

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

I found the same thing Kev.

However I wanted to check with Sean on this one as he is the subject matter expert on the Mildura P-40s -

I think per Sean, Ill install the lights but leave off the stencils. It will also add a smidgen (more) color to the side of the fuse as well.

Brian

Brian I've done a little research on this subject and it appears that from all the war time Mildura P40 pics I have not one of them show the E variant which you have modelled with the side fuselage light! But If I look at wartime pictures of P40M's which served here some pics do show a light! I'm really sorry mate but personaly I don't think it's a detail you need to mull over!

Sean

Brian I've done a little research on this subject and it appears that from all the war time Mildura P40 pics I have not one of them show the E variant which you have modelled with the side fuselage light! But If I look at wartime pictures of P40M's which served here some pics do show a light! I'm really sorry mate but personaly I don't think it's a detail you need to mull over!

Sean

Cool.........that saves me a bit O work! Still think it would have looked cool with a nice little red MV lens in there, but Id rather have the model be accurate. :D

Shoulda listened to Kev in the first place! :lol:

Brian

Got some more work done this past weekend. I actually managed to get the under carriage on as well as the gear doors. I managed to rip the gear doors off during the wash process. :rolleyes:

After assembly, I got the oil cooler flaps on, as well as two pieces of cut stainless steel tubing for the flap actuating arms. Under carriage is on as well, and gear doors in place (prior to the wash being applied) –

DSC03429.jpg

I really like the way the PE oil cooler flaps and mechanism turned out VS, the OOB Has parts -

DSC03430.jpg

DSC03433.jpg

DSC03431.jpg

DSC03432.jpg

I also had to address the larger single clear under fuse nav light. I like using MV lenses for this type of thing, but in this case the hole for the light is just standard flat hole designed for the clear flat OOB part. I just took an appropriately sized drill bit (which in this case was a new bit and quite sharp) and just hand twisted it in the hole to get the concave shape to match the shape of the back side of the MV lens –

DSC03434.jpg

The end result is quite pleasing IMHO, especially when compared to the flat OOB option -

DSC03437.jpg

I also started the wash process. In this case im using a Flory Models wash; I LOVE this stuff, as it is all natural, and has no oils in it, so if you screw up NBD, especially over foil which wipes off very easy.

In this case, Im using a FMW mix of sand and a touch of red/rust to add that bit of red soil tinge. The bottom only is just started here. The natural FM wash contains some dishwashing-like soap to break surface tension, but in the case of foil, it is so much more smooth, the wash tends to not stick as well, and run off the foil dripping everywhere, so I had to do one surface at a time, let that dry, flip the model to the next side, keeping each side level/horizontal. I also added a touch of dishwashing soap to the mix to further break the surface tension.

The redish color is not quite as visible in the pic as in person. Once wiped off, I don't think the color variation will be that noticeable –

DSC03438.jpg

I'll add the gear doors back on once I have the wash wiped off. Ive got all of the surfaces washed now, and im just letting this get nice and dry to get the wash settled down in the panel lines as much as possible.

I will continue to work on the P-40 this weekend, possibly even finishing it up depending on how many overall little details Im still missing. The main item left to tackle is the antenna rigging. Ill be using EZ line for this as its great stuff, I just have to figure out how I want to replicate the attachment points, tension springs and insulator(s).

Cheers,

Brian

That last photo with the wash applied shows the holes drilled in the centre fuselage for the rack for the bomb/droptank, don't attach any tank or bomb to the rack as we didn't use them here.

The aircraft here weather they were spitfires, Boomerangs, Wirraways, or P40's never flew long Distance so there was never a need for extra fuel. As far as ordinance is concerned we only used I think 10kg Practice bombs which were mounted on hard points under the wings of either P40's or Wirraways.

Off topic I know from what you currently doing now but just something to keep in mind for later.

Sean

Thanks guys, very kind of you to say. Sean, thats exactly what I was going to do; attach the bombrack components and leave nothing in the rack. I was kind of basing that initial decision of mine on that first photo of yours:

p-40s-2-otu-mildura.jpg

Neo, very kind of you to say, but there are some WIPs here that I couldn't touch with a golden 25 ft pole. I personally think some of the best large scale modelers in the world resider here @ LSP.

Cheers guys,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha