Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

I'm afraid I just don't have the patience for this sort of prolonged effort, wish I did. Great looking stuff, that's for sure.

Thanks Kevin, I didn't think I had the patience for such a prolonged effort either. If I had known I would still be at it 2 years after I started, I'd probably have left the lid on the box, LOL, but here we are..........

Cheers,

Wolf

This stuff is so good, it should be the new thread of the week!

I've said it before but I'll say it again...

Where's my knitting needles?

Beautiful work Wolf, always a pleasure to see your updates.

Love that, Wolf! Beautiful all the way around. From pipe linework to weathering. Very smooth.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! Just tryin' to follow your lead but I can't seem to keep up! Can't wait to start the Mustang. I start with the engine on that one, LOL!!! :frantic:

Cheers,

Wolf

Just wonderful to watch Wolf. Been watching and enjoying this whole thread as the tamiya Spitfire is the next on the bench once the Revell 1/72 Lancaster is out the way! Keep it coming!! S :goodjob:

Thank-you Sir, kind of you to say. I can promise you, you're going to love the Spitfire kit, just be mindful of the instructions and it'll be a smooth effortless build.

Cheers,

Wolf

Holy crap!

J

Thanks Jerry! Funny though, that's the same thing I said when I realized how long I've been working on this build. JUst look at the gems you've turned out while I've been hammerin' away at this kit.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Ta152H1

Thanks Lou but the glue is on! As far as I can tell the way I've done it should be correct for the Merlin 66 engine. Here's the drawings I went by.

Ignition-set-up.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf,

yes,you're definitely right.Some Merlin-Packards have been fitted with a single conduit post-War but the 66 as fitted on the Spit during the War had this single counduit fitted in the first place .I've lost a good opportunity to keep it shut :blush:.Could you please let us know where does that diagram come from?I may have it in my thousand books...bought and never opened! :deadhorse:

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

Hi Wolf,

yes,you're definitely right.Some Merlin-Packards have been fitted with a single conduit post-War but the 66 as fitted on the Spit during the War had this single counduit fitted in the first place .I've lost a good opportunity to keep it shut :blush:.Could you please let us know where does that diagram come from?I may have it in my thousand books...bought and never opened! :deadhorse:

Cheers

Lou

Lou, unfortunately I don't know the source of these drawings. This was kindly sent to me by Edgar Brooks when I posted a question on this forum about the ignition wire routing. Hopefully he'll look in on this thread and answer your question.

Cheers,

Wolf

Taking stock! I've finally managed to get everything attached to the Merlin that needs to be added before Installing it in to it's mounting cradle. Now it's time to figure out what all needs to be added between the firewall and the engine. I need to add a filler neck to the oil tank below the engine as well as the missing rivet detail on the tank. An oil line from the tank to the engine needs to be scratch-built as well. The remaining fuel lines need to be run, including the one that "Ts" off to feed the cylinder fuel primer lines on the intake manifolds. The tachometer cable needs to be run from the port cylinder head and the intercooler tank lines need to be run from the intercooler and the coolant pump. Lots of oil lines on the stbd side of the engine need to be fitted and a breather pipe on the port side of the engine needs to be added. So, not that much really. :mental: Oh yeah, I forgot to add the clamps for the inlet and outlet pipes that run from the engine to the glycol header tank. I'll try and get those done tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics that show roughly what she'll look like with the cowl support frames added. At this time its all just dry fit together and it fits incredibly well. A real testament to Tamiya's engineering!

Cheers,

Wolf

Engine-Install-2.jpg

Engine-install.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Gawd,......that is just beautiful! :wub:

{~mopping up drool from keyboard~}

The whole thing looks marvellous now so I can't imagine how good it'll look with the remaining doodads added :o

A quick question if I may? Do you plan on leaving the copper pipes bright like this or will you dull them down at all? I don't know what the real items were like so I'm curious. (My only experience of copper pipework is on domestic heating where the copper quickly dulls to a darker, less shiny shade.)

Cheers.

:piliot: