Slingshot fighter

LSP_K2

Having wanted to do this literally for years, I've decided it's now time to finally commence work on the 1/32 F-100D ZEL project. I've got most of the AM goodies I need for the plane, I just need now to begin building the launch vehicle. To that end, I've begun some preliminary drawings to help nail down details and proportions. This drawing is in a very crude state, needing lots of refinement (not to mention all the other orthographic views), to help with the construction. I anticipate this to be an ongoing (through winter and spring), project. :evil_laugh: Thoughts?

Kevin

post-8159-1255465716.jpg

Kevin, just found a "similar" system in my photo file, a picture i made at Gatow in Berlin, displaying the zero launch F104, just for comparison.

sorry i can't help you with specifics on the trailer, but keep up the project, this is looking very promising.

happy modelling

jack.

post-16-1255473645.jpg

Great project Kevin !

Can't wait to see it completed. I guess you already found this photo which shows some of the rear of the trailer ?

Hubert

PS : compared to your initial drawing, it also shows that the rear wheels of the trailer were single and bigger than the double front-wheels

post-4832-1255502095.jpg

Great project Kevin !

Can't wait to see it completed. I guess you already found this photo which shows some of the rear of the trailer ?

Hubert

PS : compared to your initial drawing, it also shows that the rear wheels of the trailer were single and bigger than the double front-wheels

Yes, I had noticed it, but thought it was an optical illusion; but drawing a parallel line with trailer top does show the front wheels as being smaller. Thanks a bunch for pointing this out; and yes, I do have that photo as well as many others. Just found out this morning that I'll be able to get copies of some slides that were taken by someone involved in the ZEL program. I will pull this off; it's been a dream of mine for many years, and it's time. If worst comes to worst, I can also contact Boeing as a last resort, since they have all of the NAA records. :DodgeBall:

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Great news; at least for me anyway. :) Just received the copies of the promised ZEL slides tonight; real cool stuff! I believe I now have in my possession enough data to finish Cad drawing ortho views, and can then commence with building launch vehicle for Super Sabre. :huh:

Kevin

Great news; at least for me anyway. :) Just received the copies of the promised ZEL slides tonight; real cool stuff! I believe I now have in my possession enough data to finish Cad drawing ortho views, and can then commence with building launch vehicle for Super Sabre. :huh:

Kevin

Kevin

Way cool project, when you first posted I had a look and I have nothing which could help, but sounds like progress. Will make and interesting model, look forward to seeing how it comes along.

Andy

Whooaaaah, Now THAT had to have been a wild ride!!!!! :blowup: A zero-zero take-off in an F-104, or F-100? Whaaaaaaay, too cool man. :bow:

You can almost imagine the initial brief to the test pilot, with him replying 'you want me to do what with what????'

• 10 months later...

Since I have to begin somewhere, I have commenced work on the base. It appears this may be a drawn out affair, but I really want to try and make this effort look cool. It seems most of the ZEL launches took place in a desert environment, so that is what I will be creating for this display. ¾" plywood, 27.75" x 17.75", covered on edges with iron on walnut veneer. At least it's a start. :thumbsup:

Pics1.jpg