Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Wow man,have you been working on that in the car on the Parkway? Where did you find the time? Looking very cool. What can look like aluminum more than aluminum? Are you still going with the unpainted skin and painted longerons? This is going to look jaw-dropping when all of the plumbing is installed. Can't wait.

J

Everything you have done has been very, very handsome work, Geoff.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for looking in and your kind comments. I hope I can continue in a manner you'll enjoy.

Geoff

Nice work, Geoff! You truly have captured the look of the wheel wells of the P-51!

Chris...

Chris,

Long time no see Bud. Glad you looked in and like the work. I hope all is well on your side of the fence...be well

Geoff

Totally amazing, and an education/masterclass.

Hi Max,

Glad you like...thank you.

Geoff

Geoff,

Its just truly wonderful.

I salute your skills and patience! ;)

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for looking in. I dont have much skill but, I do have a boat load of patience :goodjob:. More stuff goes in the trash than you'll ever know. Thanks just the same, your compliments are much enjoyed.

Geoff

With PhilB here :evil_laugh:

Marek,

Thanks much. Wheres that big Cat and hows it going?

Geoff

Wow man,have you been working on that in the car on the Parkway? Where did you find the time? Looking very cool. What can look like aluminum more than aluminum? Are you still going with the unpainted skin and painted longerons? This is going to look jaw-dropping when all of the plumbing is installed. Can't wait.

J

JR,

Thanks Man. These photos bother me in that they make eveything looking like its distorted and dirty. At normal size it does however look straight and clean. I've cleaned it again and found alot more adhesive in the corners.

Its really hard to see unless you get the light just right.

Im probably going to leave every thing natural aluminum. From what Ive read, the early birds were all natural. I know HJGB shows painted longerons but, Im not convinced beyond reasonable doubt that this was true for early birds. Just the same, Im glad youre enjoying whats been done thus far. Ive likewise really enjoyed your 38 build. I hope you'll continue work on it and continue to share.

Good to hear from you...

Geoff

Very realistic, it's almost a shame to paint it.

Ron,

Glad you looked in and thanks for your kind comment.

NOTE: The wells dont get painted. Much of what you see today, regarding painted wells, comes from the warbird restoration industry. We've talked and researched much on the SIG about this. You would be amazed at the things restorers have found on restoration projects during the disassembly process relative to colors and the way things were painted. Also, keep in mind that very few airframes, if any, from the D-5,D-10,andD-15 blocks ever returned to the United States. Aircraft from these blocks did the majority of the flying during WW II and were discarded at the end of hostilities.

Im of the belief that, based on available evidence, the D-5-10-15 left the factory with unfinished wells with the exception of the main spar which was finished in yellow chromate. That is not to say that they didnt receive some finish of chromate once they arrive in the field at some point in their service life. Unfortunately, both the airframe and its records are lost to history. Hence, there is no way to know for certain what anything really looked like.

Mustangs had corrosion problems. At some point, more chromate was applied to more parts in an attempt to curb this problem. When that occured is unknown without the build histories of each aircraft and or the field maintenance records. I will say this; these machines were built to fight a war of attrition. Regardless of our romantization of the type, at the time, it was viewed as simply a machine, nothing more. Engineering build methodologies encorporate only what needs to be done in order to complete a build cycle and everything is looked at in terms of specs and numbers produced. Thats pretty much it. :evil_laugh:

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Whatever happened to the P-51 SIG site? I would lurk every week and this time it's gone!

Chris...

Chris,

See the post below and the link. In short, IPBFREE pulled the plug. Some problem they were having not he SIG. Im sure it will be back. The loss of al the data tho is staggering and more than just unfortunate.

Cheers,

Geoff

:wub: :wub: (...The work you're doing Geoff, not you personally you understand?... :P :)).

Derek

Derek,

Oh sure, now you tell me after I bought you a new car and all those flowers and candy :lol:

Just the same, thanks for looking in. Im glad youre enjoying the build. I just wish the pics were better. They look distorted fr some reason. Oh well, thanks Bud, a kind word is always welcome...

Cheers,

Geoff

There's a thread about it at the following link Chris:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=30397

Kev

Geoff,

Had to take a peek to cheer me up considering the loss of the SIG...truly stunning work, Man! The attention to detail is fantastic to say the least. All of your questions and research have really paid off.

Re: P-51 SIG--as mentioned, there is a comeback in the works--stay tuned!

Jim

Jim, Im sure the comeback will only make it better. If I can do anything to help...just give a hollar. Its a shame all that data was lost. It was what made the research for this build successful. I believe the say ing is, "We shall overcome" :hi:

Keep in touch Bud...

Geoff