Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

spar face plate in place. A good potion of the detail ends up disappearing into the back of the wheel well but the part you can see adds to the realism IMHO. You can make up your own mind.

Like I said, just a little progress...work continues...

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers,

Geoff

post-1406-1271770160.jpg

....Rather than try to add the details to the front face of the main spar, Ive decided to add another piece to act as a face plate which will be laminated to the front of the main spar....

Looking good Ironwing.

I also decided to box in basic wheel wells on my Mosquito and then add thinner faces with the detail on them. It's a lot easier to work that way. In my case I'm only using sheet plastic. I envy your skills with aluminum :lol:

Dave P

Geoff,

I think you got the rivit technique nailed down. About the only thing you could do to improve them is add a little dimple in the center of each one. Heck, that shouldn't add more than another year or so to the build. :)

Fred :m0152:

Lookin good brother. I think your embossed rivits are the bees knees man. Missed you at Mosquitocon.

J

JR,

As always, your comments are always kind. Icould make it to Mosquitocon...I guess you figured that out already...How about Noreastcon? Isnt that pretty soon? We need to talk...

Best,

Geoff

Looking good Ironwing.

I also decided to box in basic wheel wells on my Mosquito and then add thinner faces with the detail on them. It's a lot easier to work that way. In my case I'm only using sheet plastic. I envy your skills with aluminum :frantic:

Dave P

Hi Dave,

Thans for looking in. Working with the aluminum isnt all that much diffrent than using ABS and has a number of advantages. Give ita try.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Geoff,

I think you got the rivit technique nailed down. About the only thing you could do to improve them is add a little dimple in the center of each one. Heck, that shouldn't add more than another year or so to the build. :hmmm:

Fred :frantic:

Hey you ole goat...stop teasin me...imperfection takes time :frantic:

Glad you looked in..

Cheers,

The other ole goat

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All,

A bit of progress to report. As you can see work in the wells continues and is likely to continue for a long time to come. Ive fashioned a new center rib and made new angle brackets both for the attachment point on the main spar and the top of the center rib. Some work was done on the gun fairings but Ill show that next time since there are still parts to be finished to complete them.

This is the main spar after being detailed. Its pretty straight forward. You just have to ake sure it fits into the well cavity properly. The three holes are the points through which fuel lines come through the spar and go to the fuel valve. The brackets in the center accept the center rib.

post-1406-1273607289.jpg

The center rib was installed to hold the spar in plave at its center. Once the spar was aligned, the angle brackets were secure to the firewall only. This is to allow the center rib to be removed as need since there is still detail that needs to be added.

post-1406-1273607852.jpg

Left wheel well. As the detail goes in , and its slow going but Im getting better at it (I think), the well is beginning to take shape. Im still trying to figure out a way to add the stencils to the upper surface of the well which, is actually the upper wing skin. The letters are so small that I doubt Ill be able to do it. If I cant come up with a way shortly, the ribs will start going in.

I guess thats about it for now. As alwys, work continues.

Hope everyone is well...

Cheers,

Geoff

post-1406-1273608633.jpg

....Im still trying to figure out a way to add the stencils to the upper surface of the well which, is actually the upper wing skin. The letters are so small that I doubt Ill be able to do it...

Are you talking about the manufacturer's markings noting the alloy and thickness that are inked onto the aluminum sheets? :( Man you are crazy!

I can't wait to see it!

Dave P