Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Hi Geoff,

Your work is astonishing. I love the way you pressed your own gear doors from aluminium. They look absolutely authentic from the photos you've posted, so much so that I thought you'd posted photos of a bird undergoing refurbishment to show what you were aiming for..... :)

This certainly offers alternatives for the large scale builders. How robust are the male and female press parts? Could you use them over and over again or would they lose shape after one or two uses?

The modifications that you are performing should result in a beautiful model of the Mustang.

Thanks for sharing your expertise and keep up the tremendous work.

:ph34r:

Geoff, the work so far is, in a word, STUNNING! As a "tin bender", I would have to say that your aluminum parts look very realistic. They are similar in sheen and coloring to the 2024 T0 ans T3 we use at the shop regularly. The rivet effect is particularly good.

Looking forward to further updates. Looks like you have most of the work done on the fuselage, and the wings. What else do you have in store for this model?

Great Job!

THOR :ph34r:

As the Brits say"I'm gobsmacked!". You might as well start making 1/1 stangs in the back yard now,why waste time with these little bits?

J

"gobsmacked"...is that a real word? :thumbsup:. Glad you looked in. I gotta keep pushing the envelop. The talent pool in this place is getting too good for me to keep up with. Glad you like

Superb problem solving and execution, Geoff.

Good show.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

Many thanks...

Hi Geoff,

Your work is astonishing. I love the way you pressed your own gear doors from aluminium. They look absolutely authentic from the photos you've posted, so much so that I thought you'd posted photos of a bird undergoing refurbishment to show what you were aiming for..... :frantic:

This certainly offers alternatives for the large scale builders. How robust are the male and female press parts? Could you use them over and over again or would they lose shape after one or two uses?

The modifications that you are performing should result in a beautiful model of the Mustang.

Thanks for sharing your expertise and keep up the tremendous work.

:party0023:

Geed,

Thank you for your compliment, its most appreciated. To respond to your question: These molds are made from a product called JB Weld. Its a steel based two part epoxy that is really really strong. These molds have done at least twenty pressings (the other sixteen ended up in the trash because I didnt do it right) and they show no signs of wear. Ild be willing to bet these things could do at least 250 pressings without a problem. Glad you looked in...Many thanks.

Cheers,

Geoff

Geoff, the work so far is, in a word, STUNNING! As a "tin bender", I would have to say that your aluminum parts look very realistic. They are similar in sheen and coloring to the 2024 T0 ans T3 we use at the shop regularly. The rivet effect is particularly good.

Looking forward to further updates. Looks like you have most of the work done on the fuselage, and the wings. What else do you have in store for this model?

Great Job!

THOR :thumbsup:

Hi Thor,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the kindness. Your comments mean alot. As you point out, the sheen and coloring are the most important thing. I will say that the parts look overly bright in the pics. They arent so in real life. I dont know, when you blow things up this big I thought the rivet detail looked kinda ratty and the parts always seem to look dirty. Those dark areas around the edges are a mystery. You dotn see that when you look at them normal size. The reflected light is a pain to deal with and seems to brighten the surface. Just the same...thanks. Coming from you and knowing your experience, youve made my day with your comments.

As far as the fuselage goes, aside from the work thats been done, and theres been alot, there is still way more to do. Ive only done the fundamentals needed to bring it into correct shape. I want to get the wing squared away before I start on it.

The wings still need the tip lights, recognition lights, upper and lower fences, fuel fillers, gun fairings/barrels, some minor scribing, shell ejectors, and all the stuff that resides in the wells. Then all that needs to be sanded down and reprimed to paint ready...work continues

Best,

Geoff

wow (and i think i will get RSI typing that so many times when i come here to look at the builds people do here)

i guess nothing really looks like metal so much as, well, er, metal!!

fantastic work in terms of engineering and finish

can't wait to see more

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Greets All,

I guess at this point the inner doors are done. The details and hinge points have been added. Next will come the center rib attachment points as soon as my nerves regain equilibrium :blowup: . Things are becoming more difficult as I get into the little stuff and theres still a bunch more that needs to go into the wells. The outer doors also have to be fabricated and from where I sit, I think they're going to be harder than the inners. This is especially true since the outer door alignment is determined, in large measure, by the articulating pins on the main gear shaft.

This is the fun part....right?

Have a look

post-1406-1283637669.jpg

They are somewhat out of position. The doors are taped to the bottom of the center rib for pic purposes.

I should also point out that that thing in the lower aft corner of the gear door is the housing which covers the door lock assembly. The is another opening for the same thing on the bottom leading edge of the door front.

Note: On the kits that Ive seen to date, the inner doors are rendered with a hole at the bottom just in front of the aft door lock assembly housing. It was put there to access the door lock assemly jamb nut adjustments which are inside the door.

This is a later (ANG) TO and does not appear on WWII production Mustangs

post-1406-1283637966.jpg

Looks pretty freekin sweet to me! :blowup:

Cheers,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks man, I appreciate the compliment. But it looks pretty freakin dirty to me :lol: . I canr believe there is more adhesive on this thing that I didnt see before.

Thanks just the same.

Geoff

Sorry its hanging crooked but the tape kept coming lose and the wind was blowing (Hurricane Earl came by yesterday) and I was trying to keep the hole thing from sailing off the patio table. Anyway, each door consits of thirteen individual pieces. You cant see the shaped ABS core on the inside to which everything is glued. They were a job. I should post some pics of the Trump and Airfix doors so you can see what the alternatives were. They werent pretty. I will also say that this is a doable thing if youre willing to make the investment of time.

post-1406-1283638453.jpg

Probably the best pic of the bunch. At least it doesnt look as dirty. No, Im not a neat freak but I dont see the goop with my eyes that appears in the pics. Just the same, I think these puppies are ready to go into the box for safe keeping until Im ready to make the door rams. They'll have to be fitted at the same time the rams are put in place. Of course, after they get made...geeze.

I know this seems like an awful lot of work to go thru for a model but, now Im into it and wont admit defeat. This is the toughest part. The pit wont be a walk in the park either but it wont be near as bad as this. If I can get thru this, and I mean the wheel wells being completely done, including the main shafts fitted and ready to mount, I think things will drop to a lower intensity level. Twenty fourth scale is nice to work on because of its size but, with that, comes the need to fill all the spaces with stuff. Using the kit parts would be fine, if there were kit parts. The Airfix kit is just not up to speed in terms of details. But, considering its age, it gets a pass in this category.

I knew this going in so I really cant complain. If you think the Dragon kit is maddening, try this one :blowup:

Thats it for me...hope eveyone is well...work continues.

Cheers,

Geoff

post-1406-1283638617.jpg

:lol: Are you sure thats not a REAL wing sitting on a big spool of high voltage cable???Man, that looks sweet!............Harv :blowup:

Harv,

Thanks man. Im hoping it will look better as more details go in and I get the rest of the adhesive off. I do appreciate your comment, its was really nice...thanks again

Best

Geoff