Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

• 1 month later...

All,

Your concern for me is, at a minimum, heart warming. Thank you all. But dont believe JR, he was talking to a recording :rolleyes: ...Anyway, the Mustang hasnt had much attention for a while but its back up and running but sharing time with other stuff.

Ive done some small detail work, ie recognition lights, tip lights, general sanding and shaping of the wing, fabricated the gear ram mounting components,put some paint on the new studded tires JR poured for me (IMHO they look most excellent) and have just started attempting to install the wing/fuselage attachment bolts onto the main spar. I havent had much success with this last task. The bolt heads are only .7 mm and handling them has proven to be quite difficult. I will however post pics, maybe today, of progress thus far.

Again, thanks for looking in..be back shortly...as always...

Hope everyone os well,

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY...

Its been a long while since my last post but life and laziness sometimes get in the way.Back on page 28 I think I posted this pick in preparation for installation of the recognition lights on the wing undersurface.

The area penciled out was lined with Dymo Tape and countersunk .030 in.

The center was then drilled out to accomodate the light housings.

recognitionlightskitoriginal.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

You can see the big variation in size and placement when comparing what it should be and what the Airfix kit supplies. Only the area under the new location for the lights was completely removed to clear the light housings. The rest of the area was machined out so the entire clear insert could be dropped in to the surface. Tamiya transparent yello, green and red were first sprayed onto the back surface of the clear sheet before mounting it into the the cutout. The light housings were painted silver on the inside, then drilled to accomodate the bulb. This assembly was the welded to the inside surface of the clear piece. This was then inserted into the wing and welded in.

recognitionlightwitclearoverlay.jpg

The net result...Still some blending to do to eliminate the small defects but you get the idea. Doing it this way eliminates the need to do a bunch of crazy masking and polishing and fits the lights flush with the wing surface. If you look into the light , you can see the bulbs.

recognitionlights.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

One of the most prominent features in the wells are the fuselage to wing attachment bolts. They run from top to bottom on the face of the main spar.To say they were a bear to put in place would be an understatement. Before they can be put in place, the attachment points for the door rams had to go in. They consist of the two small pieces which can be seen at the top of the main spar butted against the wing skin surface. The fuselage/wing attachment bolts have to go on top of this assembly

doorrammountsinbothwells-1.jpg

view of the wing right side up with the ram attachment acnchoring points. If they look a bit crooked to you, it isnt your eyes...they were crooked and had to be taken out and reinstalled. I love scratch building...

wheelwellsshowingdoorramsupports.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

I used .8 mm hex head bolts from Scal Hardware. Unfortunately, the hex bolts are just that...ity bitty little bolts. That meant I had to remove the bolt shank and use just the bolt head. To demonstrate, Ive put one in place of Mr Lincolns eye and theres on next to the 4 on the scale. Tough to handle. That curved thing that looks like a perverted cucumber is the tool used to handle the bolt heads. It a piece of clay. Holding on to the bolt heads with tweezers was impossible. I kept gluing them to the tweezer. The clay is just sticky enough to pick up the bolts head but not so sticky that it wont release the bolt once glue is applied to the other side and the bolt is put in place. All ill say is that it took hours to accomplish this task. If anyone is interested in knowing some of the new vulgarities I was able to generate, PM me and Ill send them along.

boltheadswithtoolsittingonpenny.jpg

Edited by Ironwing

This is the net outcome.I had to put them in and align them by eye. Problems gluing the bolt heads to the aligment fixture just made me nuts. Couple that with just trying to pick them up, add adhesive to the back, and then sticking them down equated to several hours of intense work.

Next the wing fillet fittings will go in. They run from the fron to the wing to the back. The fillet bolts come thru the wing surface and screw into them. Waiting on hardware from Scale Hardware so I can make and install them.

That it for me this trip. I hope to post more frequently from this point on.

Hope veryone is well...

Geoff

The rest of the work is just some sanding and shaping. Nothing of any great interest.

wellsshowingwingfuseattachbolts.jpg

Edited by Ironwing