Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

Hi guys,

Its all an illusion. "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" But I thank you all just the same. Ill have an update shortly. Ive made up the wing rib slugs and have been fussing with the lower wing skin replacements...pics soon

Best,

Geoff

Greetings All,

Ok, another small update. I must admit Ive been suffering from a case of "metal fatigue" and having felt much like doing anything on this bird. But, we soldier on. The ribs have been roughed in and fitted. as close as they need to be. There are still four partial stiffeners tha need to be made (two each side) but I was thirilled just to get this far...

post-1406-1270673243.jpg

The ribs are some strangely shaped things. The lower skin is temporarily taped in place to check fit against the rib bottoms. Using the tapes allows you to lift the wing skin repeatedly and putting it back in the same place without distubing the ribs. Nothing is holding them in place right now. They just kinda "fit"

post-1406-1270673394.jpg

Bottom of the right wing and its well. The ribs are cut from .005 litho plate thats been etched. It doesnt have a shining surface like the wing skins. Theyre more a grayish color. The partial ribs or stiffeners go just inboard of the inner most rib.

post-1406-1270673644.jpg

I realize the ribs arent sitting quite straight. They are just sitting in the well opening with nothing holding them in. I think you get the idea at this point what it looks liek and how it was done. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Work continues...

Hope everyone is well,

Geoff

post-1406-1270673972.jpg

I am all about smoke and mirrors, Geoff. I don't see any smoke or mirrors here. Fantastic. I know you have told us how you make the straight cuts in the aluminum but how about the curves in the ribs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jeff-

Love the work so far. I am curious- I know you said that you have been using Liquid Nails to assemble the Litho aluminum parts, but how will you use that stuff to glue the ribs to the well surfaces? If memory serves that stuff is pretty thick adhesive, and it does not look like you have a lot of gluing surface. Will you thin it down or something?

Beautiful work anyway. Please keep it up!

THOR :ph34r:

Well Geoff, this build is beginning to take on some aspects of Steve Austin - More metal than plastic (as opposed to machine than man!) :)

Lovely metal work there Geoff - I now officially award you with your 'Fettling' medal for shape correcting and final fitting above and beyonmd the call of duty - well done - wear it with pride! :ph34r:

Cheers

Derek

Great work :BANGHEAD2: Looking fantastic

Thanks Marek...Im looking forward to more progress shots of your big Cat...Really love what youre doing with it.

Geoff

I am all about smoke and mirrors, Geoff. I don't see any smoke or mirrors here. Fantastic. I know you have told us how you make the straight cuts in the aluminum but how about the curves in the ribs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi Matt,

The curved cut outs are first drawn in (roughly) to get the general outline. I then use a pair of cuticle scissors to cut out most of the area that needs to be removed. The opening is then refined with small files until it gets to the proper shape. The first rib is then used to make its counterpart for the other side. Not real hard, just time consuming.

Best,

Geoff

Jeff-

Love the work so far. I am curious- I know you said that you have been using Liquid Nails to assemble the Litho aluminum parts, but how will you use that stuff to glue the ribs to the well surfaces? If memory serves that stuff is pretty thick adhesive, and it does not look like you have a lot of gluing surface. Will you thin it down or something?

Beautiful work anyway. Please keep it up!

THOR :mental:

Hi Thor,

Your memory is working properly. Liquid nails is extremely viscous. The ribs in the wheel bays attach to the forward false spar and the center main spar via angle brackets. The adhesive will be applied to the brackets thend the side of the ribs. The ribs also engage the longerons on the prototype. Rather than try and make cuts in the ribs for the longerons (would be impossible,at least for me) Im goin to piece the longerons between the ribs, hence, capturing the ribs from the sides. It should be fine and plenty strong enough. We'll see what happens.

Glad you looked in...

Cheers,

Geoff

Well Geoff, this build is beginning to take on some aspects of Steve Austin - More metal than plastic (as opposed to machine than man!) :D

Lovely metal work there Geoff - I now officially award you with your 'Fettling' medal for shape correcting and final fitting above and beyonmd the call of duty - well done - wear it with pride! :mental:

Cheers

Derek

Derek,

I dotn know what a "Fettling" is, but thanks :hmmm: This is for sure getting nuts. Glad you like and thanks for your kind words.

Cheers,

Geoff

Wheelwell is really shaping up dude!

J

Ole Dude (JR),

Always a good word from you. Thank you. We need to talk again soon. Did you make Mosquitocon?

G

Derek,

I dotn know what a "Fettling" is, but thanks :whistle: This is for sure getting nuts. Glad you like and thanks for your kind words.

Cheers,

Geoff

'Fettling' is an actual engineering term used within the UK avaiation industry. It has the same meaning as 'adjusting to fit' when talking about detail parts or assemblies, often by fine filing or 'fettling' of the part to achieve this.

:mental: Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All,

Not much progress but a little. Ive changed direction on just how to do some of the detail work in the wells. Pics to follow...

Rather than try to add the details to the front face of the main spar, Ive decided to add another piece to act as a face plate which will be laminated to the front of the main spar. One of the advantages of this, is that it allows addition of the fastener detail directly into the face of the spar rather than trying to add it later on the face ofthe spar.

I tried those decal rivet things. Better left to a younger mans hands i suppose :lol:. I dont think the surface details look to shabby...

post-1406-1271769003.jpg

The spar face place just before adding the last row of rivets along the bottom. The green color is caused byt the photographic medium clad to the face of the aluminum. This is not the color it should be.The spar face plate will be painted yellow chromate once all that needs to be added is in place.

Its takes some time to hand rivet these things but i thik the effort is worth it.

post-1406-1271769695.jpg