Demise of 21st Century Models?

R Palimaka

Seems to be some discussion over at Hyperscale about the demise of 21st Century, and the possibility that Roy Sutherland may no longer be with them. I apologize if this is old news, but hadn't seen any threads about it recently.

Would be a great shame, and I hope for Mr. Sutherland's sake that it is not true.

Cheers,

Richard

Seems to be some discussion over at Hyperscale about the demise of 21st Century, and the possibility that Roy Sutherland may no longer be with them. I apologize if this is old news, but hadn't seen any threads about it recently.

Would be a great shame, and I hope for Mr. Sutherland's sake that it is not true.

Cheers,

Richard

I spoke with Roy at the Nationals and it is true that he's no longer with the company. Apparently there was a substantial layoff, however Roy wouldn't really comment. He's a total Pro so I can completely respect that. I guess it remains to be seen what this all means for the future of 21st Century Toys.

This would indeed be a shame if true. I know a lot of serious modelers cared nothing for their prebuilts, the lion's share of their offerings, but I think that line did a lot to get a wider range of people interested in model planes and probably led at least some of them into kit building. It had to be a serious blow to them when WalMart cut back on stocking the stuff in some stores and others dropped it completely. Getting back into TRU wouldn't have been enough to make up the lost sales from WM since they have far fewer stores. It could be that WM all but cut out 21st because 21st went back to TRU. WM doesn't like competition and became the #1 toy seller in the US by actively undercutting TRU and KB, who recently went out of business.

I contacted the 21st Century sales manager in California. I know him because I see him at the toy and model expos and I have ordered 21st Century models and toys through him.

I asked him about the rumor and he just now replied that the rumor is not true.

He went on to say that they are still in business although their staff has been reduced.

Stephen

That's good news, Stephen. I would imagine though that, along with cutting staff, they've probably also cut back on new product releases and reissues, particularly in 1/18th scale aircraft, the economy being what it is. Luftwaffe planes in that scale are just about impossible to find these days in that scale except for the 2 Me-262's. All of the Bf-109's are sold out everywhere I've looked on the 'net and the Ju-87's are pretty scarce too. It doesn't look like 21st plans to make any more of these.

I shouldn't have put such a negative spin on the situation with my original post, just adds fuel to the rumours. I'm happy that 21st Century will still be around in a restructured form, and hope that Mr. Sutherland will be able to move quickly to a new situation that uses his talents and knowledge.

That's good news, Stephen. I would imagine though that, along with cutting staff, they've probably also cut back on new product releases and reissues, particularly in 1/18th scale aircraft, the economy being what it is. Luftwaffe planes in that scale are just about impossible to find these days in that scale except for the 2 Me-262's. All of the Bf-109's are sold out everywhere I've looked on the 'net and the Ju-87's are pretty scarce too. It doesn't look like 21st plans to make any more of these.

In general, the problem is always one of trying to keep the costs down so one can price the new items to keep them salable.

With the recent incredible jump in oil prices and the commensurate rises in transportation (China to California, then to the dealers) all manufacturers will have the problem of keeping the prices down to a level where people will still buy the goodies.

I do not know what they will do with their planned new production, especially of the larger items.

I saw the 1/18 Kingtiger tank and the 1/18 88mm AA gun and although these are wonderful scale models with great detail the question is can they sell them at the new higher prices? Their 1/18 Panther tank re-release is retailing for about $70 which is twice the original price of 5 years ago. The Kingtiger may cost more and the 88 will certainly go for a higher price.

21st Century had put out a line of 1/32 scale tanks and soldiers and they may be better sellers as their prices are much lower.

Also people today are less inclined to spend much. 21st recently put out a line of 1/48 planes and if these sell well they may want to stick with the smaller items.

BBI came out with their 1/32 F-4J Phantom II and that retails for over $45. They just came ouit with their 1/32 Dauntless again at about $45. These are the builts like 21st Century's but they are selling today for what we paid for the 1/18 planes just a few years ago.

I have no idea as to what will happen with 2st Century's 1/32 unbuilt kit line.

We can only wait and see what happens. :rolleyes:

I do not know what they will do with their planned new production, especially of the larger items.

I saw the 1/18 Kingtiger tank and the 1/18 88mm AA gun and although these are wonderful scale models with great detail the question is can they sell them at the new higher prices? Their 1/18 Panther tank re-release is retailing for about $70 which is twice the original price of 5 years ago. The Kingtiger may cost more and the 88 will certainly go for a higher price.

What was a shock to me: Trumpeter sold their 1/16th scale T-34's with full interior for current retail of $199, typical price being $149. You cuold find them on eBay for $80 to $90. Now they are coming out with a full-interior King Tiger - for a whopping $599!!! Now that is a price increase!!!

I can understand the King Tiger costing more than the T-34 since it would have to be a much more complex kit. The T-34 was a rather simple design, perhaps the first "no frills" armored vehicle, the idea being to mass produce them as quickly as possible. The KT, on the other hand, was loaded with just about everything German tank designers could think of in terms of equipment built in and carried onboard. Their rate of production (few) reflected this. This being said, that King Tiger kit better be just bloody incredible to justify costing 3 times what the T-34 does. Maybe it's motorized and/or has a lot of cast metal parts.

Lets be honest here...even if 21st Century Toys is still in buisiness, without Roy, it might as well sell underwear. Too bad Roy no longer is there, he was the driver of the 1/32 kits.

Sad

Brad

Lets be honest here...even if 21st Century Toys is still in buisiness, without Roy, it might as well sell underwear. Too bad Roy no longer is there, he was the driver of the 1/32 kits.

Sad

Brad

Sad indeed. But, I'd be happy if they can just crank out more of their existing kits, maybe even adding kits of their P-51B/C and Fw 190A/F.

D

True, but I would have really liked to see a clipped wing A6M3 Zero from them.

Cheers

Brad

Sad indeed. But, I'd be happy if they can just crank out more of their existing kits, maybe even adding kits of their P-51B/C and Fw 190A/F.

D