Demise of 21st Century Models?

R Palimaka

Roy leaving 21st Century is certainly a shame. He certainly seemed to be a genuine aviation enthusiast and without him 21st's product line probably wouldn't have made the huge improvements it did in quality + general scale accuracy (compare their early 1/18 planes like the Corsair + Bf109E to newer ones like the Bf109G and Avenger).

I wonder what effect this will have on the future availability + development of the 1/18 range? I wouldn't be surprised if Roy's departure is the reason behind the non-appearance of the 1/18 B-25 as well as the reduced availability of the existing range. Having said that, I envy you US residents who can find these models in places like Wal-Mart and TRU - they are nearly impossible to find here in the UK, even on eBay. I was lucky to pick up some a few years ago when they were briefly marketed by Corgi in the UK, and found some others on eBay over the years. I'd still like to get a Sabre, Bf109G and Me262 - especially the latter!

The 1/32 kits also never appeared this side of the Atlantic; I'm still looking for a Macchi 202 and/or 205! It's a pity these weren't more widely distributed as they were a great idea, and sold well as far as I know - decent (as opposed to 1960s/70s reissues) 1/32 aircraft kits at affordable prices are rare these days, and surely are a good way to attract new modellers to this scale.

EPinniger, The 1/18 B-25 was not scheduled for this year anyway. It was to come out in 2009 or very late this year.

Originally, the huge orders from Wal Mart encouraged 21st Century to produce more of these items. Walmart's orders paid for the dies and set up costs so the 21st Century could produce more without carrying a hugh debt.

But Wal mart apparently found that the larger, high priced items were not selling well enough and with the recent high cost of oil, well, fugetaboudit.

Then the US post office killing low cost surface mail really put the kibosh on individual collectors in England, for example, from buying on ebay and the forums. I was selling some 1/18 Me-262's a short while ago and the cost of shipping one overseas was higher than the price of the item itself!

Look for 21st Century producing more of the less expensive, smaller items. like the 1/32 scale tanks and toy soldiers.

I am still looking forward to seeing the 1/18 Kingtiger and 88mm AA gun being released but I do not know when that would be. If ever.

I do not foresee any more new issues of 1/18 and 1/32 aircraft. But they are re-issuing the older models with different paint schemes (and higher prices).

They just reissued the 1/32 airplane kits in the USA.

BBI just released their pre-built and pre-painted 1/32 scale SBD Dauntless. But they want $45 for it - three times Wal mart's price for 21st Century planes.

The 1/32 kits also never appeared this side of the Atlantic; I'm still looking for a Macchi 202 and/or 205! It's a pity these weren't more widely distributed as they were a great idea, and sold well as far as I know - decent (as opposed to 1960s/70s reissues) 1/32 aircraft kits at affordable prices are rare these days, and surely are a good way to attract new modellers to this scale.

These kits are available from Sprue Brothers and they do ship overseas. With the exchange rate being what it is, their asking price of $13.49 for the 1/32 kits is quite a bargain in the UK! I don't know what shipping would cost. Sprue Brothers has an outstanding reputation and their service really can't be beat.

BBI also just released a 1/18th scale Bf-109G-2 Trop. for $65 US MSRP. It differs from the 21st offerings in that it has a full engine compartment with hinged panels.

So, at least BBI hasn't abandoned the big planes, but their releases are few and far between.

These kits are available from Sprue Brothers and they do ship overseas. With the exchange rate being what it is, their asking price of $13.49 for the 1/32 kits is quite a bargain in the UK! I don't know what shipping would cost. Sprue Brothers has an outstanding reputation and their service really can't be beat.

Thanks for the advice! Their shipping to the UK, for a single one of these kit, is quoted as £6.99, total price about £15 - not bad really. I'm always worried about import duty/VAT on anything bought from outside the EU, but as the value is fairly low in this case, maybe it'd be OK (import duty is usually only charged on items with a value of £20+). I might well order their Macchi 205 in the near future (the 202 doesn't seem to be available anymore)

Thanks for the advice! Their shipping to the UK, for a single one of these kit, is quoted as £6.99, total price about £15 - not bad really. I'm always worried about import duty/VAT on anything bought from outside the EU, but as the value is fairly low in this case, maybe it'd be OK (import duty is usually only charged on items with a value of £20+). I might well order their Macchi 205 in the near future (the 202 doesn't seem to be available anymore)

The 21st Century kits are available in the UK from: http://www.sbxmodelshop.co.uk. Select "21st Century Toys" from the "Manufacturer" drop down list and click the "Search" buttom. Voila! 4 kits available.

(-: Roy

The 21st Century kits are available in the UK from: http://www.sbxmodelshop.co.uk. Select "21st Century Toys" from the "Manufacturer" drop down list and click the "Search" buttom. Voila! 4 kits available.

(-: Roy

Again, thanks! At £10.99 each with free postage you can't get much cheaper. I ordered a Macchi and Zero from them yesterday evening, and got an e-mail today confirming the Zero had been posted, with the other kit to follow within a few days. Hopefully they still have it in stock.