Trumpeters P-47

Qvarre

Outstanding finish... I notice that Montex has finally released some more P-47 masks for the Razorback.

I'm going for a New Guinea based bird (I hemmed and hawed--originally I was going to go with Miss Mary Lou of Saipan fame, but finally my interest in the 5th/13th AF theaters won out!

Tim W.

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Chris . The decals so far have not giving me any problems at all. I have only put on the big ones yet and they went on like a dream, still to do all these dry transfers will do that when I´ve got the new insignias from Techmod decalset.

When using those dry transfers my guess is that I must need some kind of sealer on them, so they don´t rub off when handling the Jug. I will do a test with that future stuff in the airbrush on some old bits and pieces, just to learn how it works.

Larsa

Guest canuck63
I wonder if the guy who did the nose art back in WWII realized the "tornado" looks a lot like an angry turd! :lol: :lol:

You RIOT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Larsa....your Jug's turning out a little gem.....can't wait to see it finished ;) !As far as clear coats are concerned I don't know why people keep on turning a deaf ear when someone says that ALCLAD'S OWN CLEAR TRANSPARENT MEDIUM GENTLY AND LIGHTLY MISTED ON ALCLAD SHADES WON'T AFFECT THE SHINE AND FIX/SEAL DRY TRANSFERS AND PIGMENTS :rolleyes: <_< :rolleyes: ;) !If you really liked my Hayate..well...lemme tell ya that ALCLAD's Clear Transparent Medium it's what I've (successfully!) used ;) !

Cheers

Manny

This is looking great!

I'm of the NMF school that says clear coats are not to be feared! I used 4-5 future coats on my latest P-47 shown below in my sig. I employed them purposly to control sheen and depth of shine and it was easy.

How did the LSP decals perform? Did you use the dry transfers? How did they do?

Again, looking great!!!

I used the dry transfers on my Jug, the ones for Christiansen's plane....

I had a wierd problem with a few of them. They went on fine (apparently), but when I clear coated them the edges of a few lifted and the transfers started to curl up. It was not a huge problem, but it took a lot of sanding/refinishing/cussing to get it fixed. Then I replaced them with decals.....

I was overcoating with a lacquer based clear coat....that might have been part of it.

Larsa,

I've also noticed that Humbrols clear coats isn't as clear as you would expect of a clear coat :rolleyes: Seems like it's possible to use clear coats over alclad at least if you're using the right stuff! But I guess trying on a piece of scrap is the way to go. I still have a long way to go, and still needs to get an airbrush, and a lot of pratice before I undertake anything near what you have done.

Azgaron

Workbench disaster

Hi Lads

In the middle of the work masking of the canopy my reflexes start to work against me. What’s happening is that the canopy falls of my fingers and the reflexes kicking in and trying to catch the falling canopy. My left hand crushes the thin canopy in two pieces against my leg. Do I need to tell you what words that slipped out from me?

Okay for now I going to mail Hobby Easy and Trumpeter to try to get an replacement canopy, Hell

Still I´m angry :angry: :angry: :angry:

Larsa

In the middle of the work masking of the canopy my reflexes start to work against me. What’s happening is that the canopy falls of my fingers and the reflexes kicking in and trying to catch the falling canopy. My left hand crushes the thin canopy in two pieces against my leg. Do I need to tell you what words that slipped out from me?

Okay for now I going to mail Hobby Easy and Trumpeter to try to get an replacement canopy, Hell

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Larsa. If you aren't to obtain a replacement canopy, an alternative would be to try the vacformed canopy from Squadron shown here, which was designed for the Revell Razorback but may fit the Trumpeter kit as well.

Charles Metz

Hi

The mail is in Trumpeters mailbox, next thing will be to chaze just that squadron canopy. Thanks Charles.

I will get this one on the finished shelf, even if I´ll need to order a complete kit :angry: .

So now there will be an inbetwen build Revell Venom :rolleyes: Revell He 162 :rolleyes: William B. P-35

Larsa

Guest canuck63
Workbench disaster

Hi Lads

Larsa

SHOOOOT :angry: !I'm sorry about that Larsa....and I HEARTILY HOPE that Trumpeter will come to the rescue!You don't need to tell ME about those words mate...last week something like that has happened to me and take it from me....that would have made Linda Blair in "The Exorcist" look like Mother Theresa....I haven't spared anybody,including the Three Wise Men and the Comet!

Really hope you'll show us your finished Jug real soon!

Manny

Sorry to hear that Larsa, I hope that you get another canopy soon. I once did the very same thing with a modelling just after I had replaced the blade with a new item...not a pretty sight!

Cheers

Derek

Workbench disaster

Hi Lads

Larsa

Guest canuck63

Hiya Larsa,

if you read the latest LSP update you'll find a feature on a vac 1/32 Me410...the guy who has built it didn't like the vac canopies because the framing was too bulky and,truth be told,I still have to see a vac canopy which has convincing framing!Anyway... he made plaster copies of them and vac-formed new parts...you can glue the two parts of the broken canopy,seal both ends with tape,fill the canopy with PU resin or plaster,sand off the framing and vac-form a new one!When you're done carefully mask the frame area and spray several coats of Mr.Surfacer-san...that would create a little thickness(not too much!) that will replicate the frame nicely and the thin canopy will look quite realistic when left opened!Mr Surfacer is great when it comes to add raised panels/panel lines...and I'm thinking about filling the panel lines on my Hellcat's fuselage and create an illusion of overlapping skin with this method(another feature missed on the kit).....ok...ok...this way the bl@@dy Trumpcat will be ready by 2087 :ph34r: !

HTH

Manny