Jump to content

Mr Creosote

LSP_Members
  • Content Count

    181
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Mr Creosote


  1. Work continues on my Mosquito despite other projects that delayed this build. 

    I have prioritized this build by tackling the time consuming problem areas first.

    For this build these areas are the wings and nacelles.

    Both wings were warped both span and cord-wise with the port wing being  the least warped and the starboard wing the worst.

     

    bs6ub7.jpg

    4f6fAp.jpg

     

    My solution was to use brass tubing attached to the lower wing halfs held in place with sheet plastic "saddles".

    xvDKfL.jpg

     

    The port wing.

    7z02Yu.jpg

    And the starboard. 

    The brass rod for each wing was only glued ,with CA, inboard of the nacelles.  This would allow the brass rod to 'float" if I needed to adjust the any misalignment of outer wing panels.  

     

    The forward tab was notched and an opening was made for a brass rod that will be inserted into the tubing when the wings are attached to the fuselage. The rod will run nearly the length of the tubing in each wing. This is probably overkill but it will make for a solid join.

     

      KLUhw2.jpgCw4Je0.jpg

     

    All in all an old school solution for an old school kit. 

    RD


  2. On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:14 AM, rigor said:

    Nice will be watching. Who makes the wheels. And where did you get them from 

    Thanks. I don't know who produced these wheels. I bought my Mosquito kits from a LSPer named James. [Sorry I don't remember his last name.] And the wheels came with those along with the Paragon sets.

     

     


  3. Unfortunately while passable, the Hasegawa nose is too slab-sided, lacking the proper horseshoe cross-section in favour of an inverted 'U; interpretation.

    I don't have one to check against, but the recently issued Revell MkII is probably a better likeness, or the '60s vintage Mk I.

     

    The latter has been reissued within the past few years as a Seafire Ib and can be found for buttons (I think I got 3 for £10 a few years ago).

     

    Thanks for pointing out the alternatives. Using the RoG Spitfire MK. II is likely the best way to go for a Vc conversion.  


  4. I just picked up the Osprey book on the P-61 as well. Scanning the book I noted where the ETO flew with a 2 man crew and the PTO squadrons flew 3 man crews. Even with the fixed "turret" [barbette?] they carried the "gunner". If this is a generally correct assumption , I wonder if the 3rd crewman was a second set of eyes on the flight deck?

    My guess,as well, is that The Vigin Widow carried the fixed upper guns. I would like to see a photograph verifying that though.

    I'm following the build,it looks great so far.

    RD


  5. This is an insanely cool kit. As for shipping , my Crusader conversion was shipped relatively quickly. The Cutlass seems to be well slower to ship. And no doubt understandably so.

    There is one NMF option in the box,its A/C #23 from VX-4 "The Evaluators". Very striking.

    Save your green and get one of these,I doubt you'd be disappointed.

    RD

     

     

     

    That looks like an insanely cool kit. i can attest to the quick shipping from Fisher. I ordered the Hunter conversion on Monday, and had it in my hands on Friday. I know I don't live far away, but you can't argue with shipping that quickly.

     

     

     

    Man, if only I had the money, I think I'd jump all over this one. That natural metal Cutlass just looks so cool....!!!! :speak_cool:

     

     

    Matt

×
×
  • Create New...