Gloster Meteor F4

mozart

I've started building HK's Meteor F4, originally planned as a straightforward OOB build but.......I'm using a few extras such as HGW's seat belts, Profimodeller's interior, G Force undercarriage and the Fisher long chord nacelles :)  

The cockpit was sprayed black, then top-coated with a dark grey sprayed from an angle from above thereby creating a shadow effect in the lower areas.  When dry a light dry brushing was applied.  I couldn't live with the awful seat as supplied so I looked at the PDF of Eduard's PE layout, took a screen shot and then re-sized the image to provide a template.  My simplified, but improved version is made from lead foil:

DSCN9031_zpsxtz2gcql.jpg

DSCN9029_zpspcxhraqb.jpg

Since I started this build a couple of weeks ago, I'll add some more sections later.
Max

Thanks Mike and Kev, a bit more work on the cockpit.  I'm using the Profimodeller cockpit PE:

DSCN9039_zpsp14faxtf.jpg

.....and Airscale dials.  The Profimodeller set comes with a curious little insert to go between the IP faces to simulate dial faces but it's not very convincing and it's not, apparently, a decal because when I tried soaking it in water, nothing moved.  No loss though.

DSCN9041_zpsyrqhvrlm.jpg

DSCN9042_zpsm8vwshty.jpg

I'm going to put a couple of random placards on the cockpit walls, maybe a few cable runs, fit the HGW seatbelt then close it all up.

Mine won't be as fully detailed as these, but for what they're worth, some shots from the Pilot's Notes on the F4:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2016.08.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2016.09.

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-02%20at%2016.09.

Max

Edited by mozart

I'm glad to see this. I've just popped mine off the sprues ready to go. I was going to try the new alclad high speed silver.

Dave, it's a lovely kit, I've really had fun building it but it really repays some extra work like Eric and Taffyman did with theirs, there's also an excellent build over on LSM worth reading through:  http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/2172-hk-meteor-f4/

Max

More progress:

DSCN9045_zpsf3eua9l0.jpg

DSCN9044_zpsoas7gx3u.jpg

The HGW seatbelt took all evening to put together - a bit of head scratching to figure out what the illustrations meant and a little bit of fine surgery to get some of the belts to fit through the buckles, but the end result is quite pleasing.

DSCN9063_zpsmvotnnew.jpg

DSCN9061_zpsvxjesocm.jpg

The "cannons" suppled with the kit are awful, I could have done better with some extruded sprue, but I've used some Albion Alloys' brass tube to replicate them.  Not pretty from the inside, but effective where it matters.

DSCN9065_zpsuh6mklti.jpg

Max

Thanks Mark and Kev, it's certainly a very enjoyable build.  I've got in this section to the fuselage being closed up with work on the Fisher correction set for the nacelles which in my opinion is so worth the extra spend.  (The wings are not yet assembled nor is the fuselage secured to the wings though from this little trial the join seems better than I've read some people have experienced.)

DSCN9069_zpszkvjxeo4.jpg

Max

Edited by mozart