RWD-6 | 1:32 | scratch

wojtek_fajga

Hi! It is my first post here.

I can't place this topic in Works in Progress , but I hope Administrator move it in few days in right place.

I am from Poland and now working on model of polish plane RWD-6. On this plane Franciszek Zwirko won Challenge'32 in Berlin.

Here some pics of original...

rwd6_32_oryg_01.jpg

RWD-6.jpg

Zwirko_RWD-6.jpg

And here some first steps on model:

rwd_6_32_04.jpg

rwd_6_32_06.jpg

rwd_6_32_07.jpg

rwd_6_32_08.jpg

rwd_6_32_09.jpg

Welcome to LSP Wojtek :bow:

I am certain that we shall see this thread in the correct section very soon (our mods on LSP are pretty sharpe :closedeyes:).

It gladdens my heart to see aircraft such as the RWD-6 being scratch built - Such aircraft are vey poorly represented in modelling terms, so it is a delight to me to see you make this.

Best regards

Derek

Excellent start Wojtech ! :hi:

Good to see some civilians here as well, amongst the camoed thingies...And the RWD-6 is an important aircraft in Polish history. I Wiil follow tis thread with great interest.

Hubert.

Welcome to LSP Wojtech. I've just taken the liberty to move your topic here to Works in Progress. And what a work in progress it is! Fantastic stuff. Can you tell us how you cut and shape the brass?

Kev

Jeez laweez! NICE! :speak_cool:

VERY nice..............I gotta say that we here @ LSP (and I like most all of us parooz all the other sites) have some of THE most talented builders in ANY scale. PERIOD.

Very nice work wojtek! and PLEASE by all means keep coming back and being a regular on our forums and continue to share pics with us. We LOVE pics! :D :hi:

Brian

What scale is this 1/32?

Yes, it is 1:32 scale.

...how you cut and shape the brass?

I use photoetching.

And there "Erwuda Alberta?

Hi Marcin!

Yes, we (Albert and I) use same parts for this model :piliot:

Would you please go with us at SMW 2010?

I think, I am note ready for Telford'2010 with RWD-6 :bow:

How does the photo etching process work? I've always wondered this.

Is it something person can set up and do at home?

Yes it is doable at home, with products you find in electonics' supplies stores (it's used to produce eleectronic printed circuits)

The very simplified principles are as follows:

1. Cover cleaned metal sheet with a photosensitive resin

2. Print a transparent sheet where the details to be etched are in black (or the reverse depending whether the resin is a positive or negative one)

3. Lay the transparncey against the resin covered metal sheet (ideally with a vacuum to make sure the transparency adheres closely, or by pressing it against the metal with a piece of glass)

4. Proceed to insolation of the resin covered metal sheet with an UV lamp. The resin will harden under the UV stream, but not in the places where the black on the transparency has blocked the UV rays.

5. Revelation phase : like in photography, you need to reveal the photosensitive resin. It will stay in place where it's been insolated, and be removed in other places (or vice versa if it's a negative o positive resin). The revelation is done with appropriate chemicals (for instance diluted caustic soda, but again this depends on the resin you use)

6. Etching : It is done with another chemical (for instance ferric chloride - FeCl3) that will eat away the metal ylou want removed. It can be done at home statically, but works better if the etching agent in which you immerse you metal plate is gently agitated...

Conclusion: doable, delicate (beware wifey's reaction when manipulating those chemicals at home), needs some experimenting. Best advice: go to an electronics supply shop (in the US Radioschack for instance) and get the sales guy to teach you through the process. MicroMark also sell an etching set. If you know "advanced" railroad modellers, it is also likely they will have been doing photo-etching for some time and can guide you...

Hubert.

Hubert.