Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk, H&MS-32 Bandits, 1990

Talon

About time I hit something in a larger scale, so here goes.

Got given the Hasegawa Hi-grade kit by a friend some time ago.

fullsize_image

The kit had been started and the original modeller had intended to build it as a TA-4K. I have managed to confirm that all of the parts are present (and in some cases there were spares!). I have carefully disassembled the kit and removed as much paint and glue as I could (poor quality pic of the parts courtesy of my iPhone).

IMG_3195

To dress the kit up, I'll be using the following aftermarket:

2 x Aires Escapac ejection seats

aires2169.jpg

Flying Leathernecks Decals Mk.82 Thermally Protected 500lb bombs w/ BSU-86 fins

bekr9afkj2h5z5ef2z2k

My own custom masks and decals for the aircraft markings to produce 01 from H&MS-32 just before the unit was disestablished in 1990

OA-4M_MAG-32_1990.jpg

154306usmcoa-4mmag-3227jwz

Edited by Talon

Have just cleared the man cave and cleaned the bench, then set up the photography space, so will endeavour to get some pics up soon.

Work to date:

• Rescribing the kit's raised panel lines (and correcting them where necessary)
  • Modifying and correcting kit cockpits
  • Cutting off the various parts of the TA-4 to fit the updated parts of the OA-4M
  • Correcting the leading edge slat recesses to remove the step and reposition the slat rails correctly
  • Removing the flap/spoiler area from the wing, so I can add scratcbuilt lowered flaps
  • Fitting the speedbrakes to the fuselage and filling all of the sinkmarks

Hasegawa's kit is nice in many respects and still holds its own, but there are a number of areas that need correcting to get this looking like It should. It looks like Hasegawa had access to either the OA-4M NATOPS or the real aircraft as their etched instrument panels are OA-4M specific, but there are a couple of small changes needed which I'll detail once I get the camera in action. The side consoles however are very generic, so I'll need to scratchbuild the detail on those.

The kit cockpits are too big front to back. The rear instrument panel shroud is too small and needs to be extended forward 3mm, and the rear cockpit's rear bulkhead needs to be shifted forward a similar amount. Because of this, Hasegawa also have you cut the tail fin leading edge fairing to fit the hump in the wrong place. The cockpit rear bulkheads are too tall and the wrong shape. The side consoles are too deep and have a strange kink in them. By changing all of this, the resin seats sit better and a scale pilot could then actually see over the instrument coamings.

I'm also going to add a set of Aires wheel wells as the kit ones are pretty bland.

Edited by Talon

Thanks, I was aware of that. However I believe that the Avionix set uses the incorrect dimensions of the Hasegawa TA-4J kit it was designed for. There are also too many differences between the TA-4J and the OA-4M pits for it to be useful without extra work I'm already doing anyway..

Edited by Talon

Ok. Finally got a chance to get the camera out and get some progress pics.

1_2015-01-11.jpg
Lots happening here, though it doesn't look like much. Top of the fin and leading edge of the fin removed (Hasegawa's instructions are wrong meaning the leading edge has been removed too far back and I'll need to add some plastic here to correct once the hump is installed). Hot dog ECM fairing fitted to the top of the tail. Both fuselage halves are about 80% rescribed and rivets added where necessary.

Speed brakes have been glued in, sink marks filled and sanded flush and the outlines rescribed. I still need to add the JATO bottle attachment points.

Rear white metal ECM antennae have been cleaned up and glued to the exhaust fairing. The slot on the side of the fuselage (black area in front of the speedbrake) was filled and a vent redrilled.

I've also removed the rudder to clean up the two halves and get a better fit of the parts.

2_2015-01-11.jpg
Previous owner glued the intakes on too well, so I have cleaned up the joins and left them as is. Means I can't easily do full intakes so will probably opt for making some intake blanks (they'll add some colour to the jet anyway).

Removed the canopy fairing behind the cockpit to accept the new hump. The forward cockpit is fitted to test the new shape and position. As mentioned the kit cockpit is too deep and incorrectly shaped. I've reshaped the rear kit bulkhead, added new bases for the side consoles, removed the seat base which was moulded to the bottom of the tub and added new seat guide rails from some Evergreen I-beam cut down to a [ cross section. Also added are some 15 thou canopy sills and the small scallops on the rear of the instrument console coaming.

The front of the rear console coaming has also had the start of the 3 mm forward extension added to correct the positioning of the rear bulkhead.

The nose has been cut off each fuselage half and the OA-4M nose halves glued in place.

3_2015-01-11.jpg
Rear cockpit showing the mods. Rudder pedals were moved aft and the front of the tub shortened by 5mm to fit behind the front cockpit. The pencil lines on the side consoles are where the instrument panel will sit.

4_2015-01-11.jpg
Port wing showing where spoiler and flap assembly have been removed from the rear of the wing, so I can build some dropped flaps later. This wing has had the slat well raised to remove the step and the slat track openings repositioned and resized to be more prototypical. The old openings can be just seen as darker outlines. The shiny lines are where I've rescribed the panel lines and used Tamiya extra-thin cement to clean them out.

5_2015-01-11.jpg

Comparison of the port wing with the starboard wing showing old slat recess on the starboard wing and the corrected one on the port. Starboard wing has the new spoiler glued in place, cut from some 10 thou styrene sheet, using the removed parts as a template.

6_2015-01-11.jpg
Another view of the exhaust fairing showing the white metal ECM antennae fitted.

7_2015-01-11.jpg
The new hump assembled and cleaned up. Because Hasegawa have you remove the fin leading edge too far back, they also make the hump too long. I have removed the necessary amount and will need to add that much back to the fin leading edge. I've also opened up the vent on the spine so it doesn't just end.

8_2015-01-11.jpg

The kit photo-etched instrument panels match the OA-4M pretty well, but will need some switches and knobs added to give them a little more detail.

Edited by Talon

Hi Talon,

This looks like it could prove to be a spectacular build. That is some crisp, sharp and skillful work on show.

I've never been bitten by the Skyhawk bug but I do recognise high quality modelling when I see it. Perhaps I'll tag along for the ride. I've a suspicion I'll end up learning some stuff.

Cheers.

Hi Talon

Great choice of subject, as this is the first time i get to know there is something called 'collector hi grade' kit from hasegawa

I quickly went and read a review of this kit, so out of curiosity are you planning on rescribing the aircraft (as i read it had raised panel lines)?

Looking forward to the build progressing  :popcorn:

Karim

*EDIT* I got my answer in post #2 lol my apologies

nonetheless i am really looking forward to the build

Edited by karimb