Unreliable vendor - Super Bug Models

LSP_Matt

It's with some regret that I feel it is necessary to post this thread warning any members considering purchasing or pre-ordering any products or materials from the vendor Daniel Phelps of Superbug Models. 

Daniel was also associated with Golden Dragon Models and a Google search of Super Bug Models shows the issue encountered by our LSP member to be a persistent one.

Every effort has been made by myself and by our LSP member to contact Daniel to establish a dialogue prior to posting this thread. I am led to believe that there are a number of individuals who have paid money for goods that were never delivered.  This apparent pattern of behaviour is intolerable.

The fact that his website still appears open for business, that he he has not replied to us and that the pattern of behaviour seems consistently poor overrides in this special case our policy not to host bad traders alerts.  Our primary concern under these circumstances is to do what we can to protect our membership and advocate where historically or on an ongoing basis they appear to be at risk being taken advanatage of.

PayPal's advice at this stage has been for members who have paid for products that remain undelivered to contact them regarding this.  Our member Zero77 (Nicolas) is the point of contact for people who have encountered these issues.  Sufficient complaints may help Zero77 get his money back but it might also prompt PayPal to close down the account to prevent a compounding problem.

Please folks...if any person is offering resin modifications/kits/decals on a pre-order basis, try to ensure that they are reliable at delivering.  Don't hesitate to involve your bank, credit card company or PayPal at the earliest opportunity to ensure your deposit is protected from someone with all the best intentions and dreams but who simply can't deliver. 

I would not recommend any tolerance for after-market or businesses that use your monies for anything else than delivering the promised product or who do not deliver product by the agreed time.

LSP_Matt

*EDIT*     *ALERT!*

SuperBug Models has now resurfaced as "Mighty Hog Designs", and has been confirmed to be headed up by the same person that ran SuperBug Models. 

Please be aware of this fact, and the same recommendation when dealing with SB models, goes for Mighty Hog Designs. 

It's been several months that he does not reply anymore to my emails.

Even on scalemate, i've tried to contact him, but each time he plays dead for a few weeks, and is active again, without having replied. I've just sent him a public message on his wall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to let you know a few news. I keep struggling with paypal to make them react toward Phelps. Even if they cant refund me anymore, i hope they can do something against him, and maybe force him to refund me (i know, i'm a bit optimistic !).

A few weeks ago, i went on his website and i noticed that it was still online, and still with the paypal cart system. I was a bit upset as Paypal told me that they would check his status and if there was other complaints towad him (and i know there are a LOT !). But it seems nothing was done.

So i had a new call to paypal, and i called again last friday to ask some news. It seems that the paypal operator sent Phelps an email and was waiting for his answer. This time i wont give up, and i'll keep calling them every weeks until either i am refund, either his paypal acount is canceled.

If you were also scammed by this guy, do not hesitate to call paypal and open a complaint toward superbugmodels. More we are, more they will do.

I hope you get your funds back buddy. It's amazing how people continue to support guys like this dude. All they do is rip people off for just few extra dollars. I see sever guys online selling resin bits that they copied of someone else's work and call it their own. Geez, people like that are ruining this hobby :(

Thanks Mike. It seems that there is not many people to keep supporting Daniel Phelps / Superbugmodels. Some just say that they received their order from him, and i believe it. This guy is very strange, not a full time scamer. Most of his products does exist, and he used to ship orders to some people (there are a few reviews of his products).

The resin copies are another problem, but i think it is worst in the garage kit figures market. In the aircraft model AM, direct copies/counterfeits are very marginal. Most people that make copies enhance the quality, add details or anything else. And many resin parts are based on modified kit parts. But that's true that direct copies and scammer, even if they are a few, ruin the hobby market.

Since my mishap with Phelps, it is difficult for me to trust anyone, and when i have not received my order within the 45 days protection, i begin to fear. The problem is that many AM producer are small craftsmen, or do this after their own job, or make business to order so it can take some time. I am now in discussion with IMCTh to order some PE structure kits, but they only make kits on order, and i am bothering them to get the order within the 45 days, even if i think they are nice and reliable guys.

Edited by Zero77

• 1 month later...

Zero I am in the same boat! I got excited about the complete AM sets for the rhino I went ahead and pre-ordered them nearly 2 years ago. I was deployed on a ship at the time so ability to research was limited. I paid in full, which is a huge mistake in retrospect! I have chased this guy over and over and when he responds, which is rarely, it is with a lame excuse for the delay. The other issue is being in Australia, my ability to follow up on this bloke is limited, and that irritates me. I can't even recall if I used PayPal to pay the near 300 Aussie dollars. If you have any success chasing him please let me know. The wider affects of this guy's deceit is the tar he is brushing on other small garage industry producers, which is what this industry needs and relies on particularly for niche subjects. Please update me when you hear something, and I appreciate your efforts to shut him down

Regards

Hi AJW,

Yes, i think we are a lot to have been scamed by this guy.

You can check your paypal history to look for the transaction. You must have used paypal to pay, as it was the only way of payment for his products.

Unfortunately, i did not had any response from paypal. I have to call them again. I called them about 1 month ago to ask for news about this complaint, and i've been told that they were trying to contact the seller, unsuccessfully at this time. I've asked them to keep me informed, but they still have not.

But it seems that Daniel Phelps' website is now down. I think it is quite recent as it was still online one or two weeks ago. And the expiration date was to be in september 2016 according to whois.com . So i dont know what happened, if either paypal intented something against him, or if he put his site down himself...

I'll let you know if i have some news.

But do not hesitate to make a complaint to paypal, even if it is too late to have a refund. Maybe if they get massive complaints, they could react.