1/32 Trumpeter F8E. VMFA235

Vynce804

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and great links to other builds, Your input is much appreciated!

Since my last update I have painted the cockpit and seat, both resin aftermarket.

FD4018D6-6AAC-4A1E-9953-6AEA2B08B7AB_zps

6CC36F8B-FCEE-4DFF-95DD-A43247F57F56_zps

Next job is to join the fuselage which is a bit daunting as it's a big kit and there is lots to shoe horn in there! I've also decided to go with the resin main gear well and will figure out the fit issues as I go!

Cheers

Matt

Nice work on the seat and cockpit, they have that in daily use look to them. You may find some useful info here:

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.ca/2017/03/vought-f-8de-crusader-flight-manual.html

The section on Weapon System mentions that standard MERs and TERs were used by the F-8E after airframe change 488.

Jari

Edited by Finn

Great start on the Crusader Matt, :punk:  I guess you and I can have a Crusader build competition since I am building the same kit to,but doing mine in navy colors. :doh: Good Luck with the build and will be watching closely.

Chris 

Edited by Tomcat14

Aires and wheel bays - a match made in hell! Good luck with it, Matt.

Kev

I had no issues at all fitting Aires wheel bays to my RF-8 and Harrier...

Cockpit looks pretty good - but have you really sanded away all that lovely side console detail to use that flat pre-printed Eduard stuff? :mellow:

Hi starfighter.... well spotted!....yes I'm busted!

I use lots of pe on my builds and this was the first time I have used a resin cockpit and even though I spent ages painting it it just didn't look as good as the pe and couldn't resist using it in the end. I think the level of detail on the pe is hard to match and is something I can't come close to reproducing with a paint brush so even though I loose the 3D detail For me it's worth it.

Chris, good luck with your build... I look forward to seeing it when you are finished.

Cheers

Matt

Well, it's your choice of course - I think the Eduard stuff looks like a decal and I genuinely dislike the grey they use instead of black. Maybe you could add some separate knobs made with a punch & die set to add some structure? Still looking forward to seeing more progress!

Hi All,

The fuselage is now together and went together remarkably smoothly in the end. I took my time and stitched it together a small part at a time over a day. I left the resin cockpit loose and finally glued it in when the rest of the fuselage was together. There is some light cleanup on the seams but in general the fit is excellent.

68FCC498-D88E-416F-AF05-6A761510BDE3_zps

I have also put a plastic card shim at the end of the resin main gear bay to sort out the poor fit and after my doom and gloom this turned out to be an easy fix and when painted probably won't be noticeable.

FF1E201B-9EF3-43E8-A76D-C881963F3D5E_zps

I have order a pj production pilot and am deliberating on some eduard mk82 snakeye bombs to replace the Tamiya low drag versions I was going to use.

Windscreen is also on and masked up so will soon be ready for paint!

Cheers. Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Initial painting is now done! Detail painting next and then time for decals!!

FDF06FCD-6306-4ED6-9A3D-3CCD62C5F7FF_zps

I used tamiya xf2 for the white and Vallejo model air light gull grey.

The paint contrast is quite stark at the moment but this will be less after filters, weathering and the final Matt finish.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by Vynce804