1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- Converted into a Mk.VIII, of 79 Sqn RAAF

Big Tony

Hiya Folks,

Here is the brand new 1/32nd scale Revell Spitfire Mk.IX which I have converted into a Spitfire Mk.VIII, A58-517, UP-F flown by Flying Officer Norm Turnball of 79 Sqn RAAF from Morotai, S. Pacific during April 1945.

This kit has been getting  a bit of a pasting from some parts of the hobby yet I was really happy with it! OK there were gaps in the wing root which needed to be filled using plastic shims, the cockpit was missing the armour plate from behind the pilots seat and the padded head rest needed to be removed from the armour behind the pilots head,..... but hey, that is modelling and for £30 I`m not grumbling!

To convert this model into a Mk.VIII I shortened the kit ailerons, added a grey matter resins retractable tail wheel, made a bulge for the forward right hand cowling from scrap plastic and then bought a Barracuda resin seat, entrance door and RAAF style treaded tyres. To finish off the decals also came from Barracuda and here is the WIP on Britmodeller in case anybody is interested;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019461-started-pics-a-bit-latenew-132nd-revell-spitfire-mkix-converted-into-a-mkviii/

Finally,.....here s the finished model;

35539850096_339717757f_b.jpg

35578703095_45815baf5a_b.jpg

35539848416_3b59a5e8c9_b.jpg

34769717203_9519e9aa38_b.jpg

34737443224_6ddaba7f90_b.jpg

Sorry if there are too many pics!

As usual the model was brush painted and I`m quite pleased with the way it came out, I finally have a big Aussie Spit in my collection!

Cheers

Tony 

PS,.....Ooops,.....forgot to drill the downward i/d light in the rear fuselage! I filled in the Mk.IX type under the belly but have just realised that I had meant to drill a new one. I decided to leave the downward i/d lights under the wings as later Mk.VIII`s had these deleted.

Edit,....in case you were wondering about the white paint missing from the tailplane, this was worn away by the ground crew sitting on the tail while the engine was ground run, the original RAF fin stripes were also visible on the fin where the white was worn away. Here is a photo of the tail of the real aircraft;

A58-492_04_V.jpg.

Edit again;

Last night I drilled out the hole in the rear fuselage for the downward i/d light and glazed it with crystal clear;

DSCF0078_zpss8wg9mav.jpg

I also noticed that the scribed detail for the wing tanks did not show up on the pics so I have added a bit of silver chipping to make them more obvious;

DSCF0077_zpscnm9bxo1.jpg

And finally,....to give the model a bit of scale,.....here it is with a 1/48th and 1/72nd scale pit;

35539855256_c56c610fc8_b.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited  just now by tonyot
Edited by Big Tony

That is just awesome, Tony! Well up to your usual impeccable standards. I hope one day you'll grace us with one of your WiP builds.

May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Thanks Kev,....yes please feel free to use the pics etc. Most of my WIP`s are a bit haphazard and twist and turn as I go along and I fear that I`ll bore many of the excellent modellers here on LSP. This one started out a bit late in response to requests for pics of what I was building on my own at home.

Cheers

Tony