1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Remarkable Peter! Remember when you had all that foam leaking out everywhere and it seemed all was lost? That was a long time ago wasn't it? The time added by using the litho-plate, well that don't really matter much anymore. :) This build has come way to far to not use the litho-plate. Keep 'er comin' Mr. Castle!

Cheers,

Wolf

Peter

sorry to burst your bubble but should the overlap of each panel be the other way round, ie you start from the back and work forward the the overlap being with the air flow not againist it?

Mick

Hi Mick - thanks for keeping an eye on things - I do have a history of making schoolboy mistakes!

..thankfully this time I think it may just be an optical illusion - I did try and overlap the panels, but the scale effect was way over the top so these are all just butt jointed against each other..

..I took some pics in natural light in case it was just my desk lamp..

WIP512_zpsksbkukyg.jpg

WIP513_zpssbs7gz6e.jpg

WIP511_zpsza6vxqm2.jpg

WIP514_zpsgljjmziq.jpg

WIP515_zpsv8jvmbcn.jpg

..if I had my time again, I might have tried building up the 'lapped' surface with some tape to get the relief, I also would have added vertical domed rivets from the back as this would have been easy and no problem with alignment...  oh well, it's all learning for next time..

TTFN

Peter

hi folks :)

starting to slightly get the hang of some of this skinning lark and get into a bit of a routine - I need to as each panel is anything from 15 - 30 minutes to make & fix. I have stopped using the spray adhesive as there just isn't enough control so use a soft flat brush. Mind you the solvent to clean the glue seems to destroy brushes and just about everything else pretty quickly so care is needed..

..I am ending up scribing the airframe anyway so haven't saved any time as I need the scribed lines to determine the panel shape - I finished up the rear end and started on the fin...

..I needed the two big panels on the fin to run all the lower panels up to - it would be much harder to make all the lower panels end in a straight line seperately..

WIP517_zps0z5fjc0d.jpg

..I burnished the shapes where the panel has to curve at the leading edge with a cocktail stick and cut out the part for the rear of the fin..

WIP518_zpsnlfe4psl.jpg

..after a few hours work most were done - the photography is rubbish as is the lighting sorry...

WIP521_zpsnn7apvoa.jpg

WIP523_zpsf0nha46d.jpg

WIP520_zps0msgce5i.jpg

WIP522_zpsb0m7ka6m.jpg

so much to learn... I have also laid some test panels on an old kit to experiment with finishes as the test parts I did came out a bit wierd - they seemed to have colours in them - greens & reds faintly visible and different layers of grain when finished with micromesh - i have some different grades of wire wool on order as thats what I have heard is supposed to be used...

TTFN

Peter

Great stuff Peter, it's looking very good. I found when overlapping foil, the only way that I could get a scale or authentic looking overlap was by sanding and feathering the leading edge of the panel that would be overlapped by the rear edge of the next panel (I had to work from back to front to accomplish this, i.e. from the fin forwards to the nose).

Derek. 

This build is quite possibly more delicious than the lamb saag and buttered naan I had for dinner tonight.  Not quite beating out the desert of kheer and gulab jamun.  In all fairness, it was close there Peter, but not quite.  Now if you had hand riveted each panel on, with a mini rivet gun you designed and build out of your own PE bits, then yes.  You would have won hands down.

You still have time to do that now that I think of it...

:wicked: :whistle: :thumbsup: :punk:

This build is quite possibly more delicious than the lamb saag and buttered naan I had for dinner tonight.  Not quite beating out the desert of kheer and gulab jamun.  In all fairness, it was close there Peter, but not quite.  Now if you had hand riveted each panel on, with a mini rivet gun you designed and build out of your own PE bits, then yes.  You would have won hands down.

You still have time to do that now that I think of it...

:wicked: :whistle: :thumbsup: :punk:

Ahhh, what ????.....Harv

Guest Peterpools

Peter

"....To boldly go where no man has gone before ..."

It's always an adventure and a incredible learning experience

Warp speed ahead

Keep 'em coming

Peter