Heinkel He 111 P-1 (Revell 1/32 NOOB Build)

ArnoldLayne

Howdy,

First post from a beginner, so please be kind :rolleyes: I have just begun my 4th large scale build (not counting some disasters as a youngling, many years ago). It is going to be 99% out-of-the-box, just adding some Aeromaster svastikas. As my workbench is also my dining table, there will be no airbrushing but hand painting with Humbrol Enamels. This is where I start-up the build:

01-01-Startup_zps6105e3e4.jpg

Since I find it easier to glue together small parts before painting, I have jumped through some the steps for the cocpit:

01-02-Cockpit_zps8bd00a7d.jpg

To be continued...

Thanks for the warm welcome and the encouraging words :)

There happens to be a museum in Madrid where they have a CASA C-2.111, the Spanish-built He 111H-16 with Merlin engines (!). It was this version they used in the movie "Battle of Britain":

02-01-CASA-C-2111_zpsb0509c92.jpg

Getting up close to the real thing you certainly realize that this was a big bird:

02-02-BigBird_zpseafd839d.jpg

Not possible to get into the cockpit but at least I got a few camera shots. Great feeling to see the steering column and recognise the details I glued together last night:

02-03-Nose_zpsd3735a7f.jpg

There is also a collection of aviation armaments, among others the MG 15 that was used on the He 111P's. It is much smaller than I thought and now I understand better why it's bullets had limited impact on the Spits and Hurries:

02-04-MG15_zps84a6a15a.jpg

Museo de Aire actually has two aeroplanes of this type. To the right a Heinkel He 111E "Pedro", one of the very few remaining German-built 111s:

02-05-Heinkel-HE-111-E-1Pedro_zps62197dc

To be continued...

Museo de Aire actually has two aeroplanes of this type. To the right a Heinkel He 111E "Pedro", one of the very few remaining German-built 111s:

02-05-Heinkel-HE-111-E-1Pedro_zps62197dc

The one on the right certainly has my attention. I personally like the early types with the stepped, conventional cockpit more :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good start there. Having just finished one of these, I found there are some issues you might want to know about;

* if you leave the large floor mat closed it will foul the bombsight, requiring you to cut off the top of it...much easier to leave it open as I found that out the hard way.

* don't worry about the injector pin marks on the inside of the fuselage and bomb bay, you can't see them when it's built

* engine cowlings don't fit well, but take heart that they didn't on the real thing so you will have to do a bit of mucking around to make them fit.

* the main undercarriage gear legs slant backwards, not forwards like a fighter plane. A friend of a friend thought the main gear supports were too short and started to build them up, not realising they are correct, it's just the instructions (pro modeller boxing) don't tell you what angle to set the gear at.

* put the wheels into the gear legs before you attach them to the wings, makes things much easier.

* the instructions might tell you (at least the pro modeller boxing does) that the canopy directly over the pilots seat goes "inside"...it doesn't, it sits on the outside so it can be slid back on the rails you can see.

If you are particularly fussy, it's worth noting the MG 15's are 1.2cm undersized, making them 1/48 scale. I didn't replace them though.

Hope this helps you.