Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-17/ Egyptian AF 1973

frogman13

Here's my latest effort using the only 32nd MiG-17 on the market from Trumpeter.  I started it back in March and worked with the base kit and some aftermarket improvements to get this result.  I wish......That there will be a more modern release of a MiG-17 in the future.  If not, this is going to be my last.  I love the way it turned out, but modeling shouldn't need to be self abuse anymore.. :-) 

DSCN2308_zps011813ee.jpg

The model is marked as Egyptian MiG-17 #2975.  This plane was photographed from a few different angles in the 1981 "Bright Star" joint Egy-Amer. maneuvers.  It would have looked pretty much the same in the 1973 Yom Kippur war.  The topside in-flight views of the aircraft were the deciding factor in my building this particular plane.

MiG-17attack9_zps72e886bf.jpg

MiG-16.jpg

I scratch built the Egyptian style bomb pylons and rocket rails under the wings.  The bombs are 1/48 FAB-500s from "Aerobonus" (which look like the FAB-250 in 32nd scale).  The rockets are 48th scale HVAR 5"in. which look alot like SAKR 3" in 32nd scale. The cockpit is from "AMS Resin", the canopy is from "Squadron". The pitot tubes and cannon barrels from "Master model", the metal landing gear from "G-Factor", the afterburner and alot of small details are photo-etch stes from "Eduard" and "Profimodeler"  

DSCN2301_zps4c4ff717.jpg

DSCN2300_zps57b52552.jpg

DSCN2307_zps10af7990.jpg

DSCN2303_zps075f902c.jpg

DSCN2304_zpsc1b5d1b3.jpg

So i hope you like my final result and Thanks for your comments.

Ed Okun/  Frogman

Hi Alan,

Here are the paints I used:

The colors used are "Testors Modelmaster" enamels as follows:

Sand # FS 33531

Grun RLM 62

Black and Schokoladenbraun

50/50 mix

user_offline.gif

Thank you , this will be useful ....once again , great job  :thumbsup:

bye Alain

Hi guys,

The camouflage pattern was sprayed freehand with a small exception:  After I have the pattern established, I use a "0" round sable paint brush to cut the outside line of the pattern with thinned paint of that color.  To blend the hand painted line, I spray again carefully up to and over that demarcation line on the edge of the pattern.  Following that, I used a slightly lightened tone of the paint to shade along panels and "cloud" the color inside the pattern.  I only use this technique when the pattern in very tightly sprayed on the original 1/1 subject with hard edges.  This can replicate hand painted camouflage on vehicles and aircraft avoiding brush strokes and variation in paint thickness.

Here is a link to the build:

http://edokunscalemodelingpage.blogspot.com/

BRgds,

ED Okun

Edited by frogman13