Texas ANG F-4e

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

It extends to the lower side as well. This was a wraparound scheme. You can see it in the initial picture, under the air intake.

By just a sliver. The undersides appear predominantly medium satin grey with 26118 go-fast c/l tank and inboard wing pylons.

Tony

29 minutes ago, Tony T said:

By just a sliver. The undersides appear predominantly medium satin grey with 26118 go-fast c/l tank and inboard wing pylons.

Tony

Believe-me, it was a wraparound!

https://images.app.goo.gl/EgMBLTPSZ81Kue3u9

However it did not have the large dark grey spot on the belly that was part of the F-4D scheme.

It's hard to tell, but it looks to me like a variation of the original Hill Grey with FS 36375 Light Ghost Grey undersides, with FS 36270 Neutral Grey and FS 36118 Gunship Grey topsides. The giveaways being the light grey gear doors, slat actuator fairings, and the lighter grey compared to the 36118 inboard pylon sway braces. The tops of the wings would be FS 36118 with 36270 outboard panels like the later and more common pattern. I can't really see any variation between the light grey of the visible lower areas and  the light grey of the upper parts, so it might have just been a two-tone version with FS 36270.

Thierry's photo does look like the dark grey extended under the intakes a little, almost to the white position lights, but you can see the break between the greys just under the leading edge inboard of the TISEO. It looks like it's picked up a dark grey trailing edge flap at some point (might be a shadow) and a dark grey avionics(?) package in the portside forward missile bay.

Link to large photo

Link to another large photo

Ben

Also of note, through my eyes anyway based on what I'm seeing in these, all pics is the glossy nature of the underside color as "I" see reflections of underside elements on the wings, eg; landing gear reflection on wing underside, hard points and load..etc!

Though not a "jet" guy, Love me an F-4 and remember those F-4D's in this scheme variation with wraparound camo as shown on the decal sheet for Homestead AFRB in the mid to late '80'sas I'm a Miami and South Florida resident and natural since birth in '74!

Gorgeous scheme Rob! Wish I had some input other than that! LoL

BTW, I met you once at AAA Hobbies when I had moved to Atlanta in 2008. I was the Cuban modeler with the long locks,(dreads)! I saw you guys again at IPMS Nationals in Ohio in 2009. Lol

Great scheme on a Phantom once again! It brought back some memories! Lol

Alfonso

Once again....NICE Scheme!!!! Not a jet guy, but just something about F-4 Phantoms and their later schemes that just say...YEAH!!!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

On 3/31/2024 at 1:13 PM, Rob Colvin said:

The Texas ang f-4e had a non standard grey camo....light ghost and a dark grey (gunship?).......I am looking for the camo pattern.......it is on the fuesalge.....does it extend onto the wings?....

F-4E_704th_TFS_AFRES_1990_USAF.jpg

For the record:  This airplane belonged to an Air Force Reserve unit, not the Air National Guard.  The Air Force Reserve is a federal force just like the Air Force whereas the Guard belongs to its home State unless mobilized.  By law, Active Air Force, the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard units are all trained and equipped to the same standards and are interoperable - unless somebody tells you, you cannot tell one from the other.

Yes, 924th TFG at Bergstrom AFB, Texas. Companion 301st TFW unit was the 457th TFS at Carswell AFB, tailcode TH. 

I can't believe all that was now 35-40 years ago. 

Tony