any body here fly dcs digital combat stimulator

I used to fly  flacon f 16  holy moly the grapgics are  incredible( new computer flying at max detail)   Just flying around  not like riding a bicycle    but will relearn sooner or later.  I have   the grapihcs for sweet arelne and cripes a might.  I got the P 51 module and the f 16 module

Yes, I have DCS and have several modules, including the Normandy and Persian Gulf maps.  So far, I only can fly the A-10C with any degree of skill.  I can ramp start the F-16 and can take off and land it without damaging the aircraft.  Other than that, I’m still learning the module.  It still doesn’t have full functionality but the HARM works now.

Edited by Juggernut

I used to fly the a-10 and created some missions where ai f-15e and I would bomb russian convoys. At one flight/mission, the bombs of the f-15 struck just as I was flying low in the a-10 and the resulting explosion tore my port wing off!  I overall find it to be an awful lot of buttons to remember so it's hard to pick up casually! Get into it or not. Middle ground is hard. 

I dabble with it.   Graphics are amazing, the level of detail baked into each aircraft is as well.    My problem is that there is no "padlock" feature for keeping your eyes on another plane in a dogfight, so you have to resort to using a head tracker or VR googles, neither of which I'm interested in.  For modern jets, you really need a full HOTAS setup, which costs big $.  The other thing about flying the modern jets is that you need to devote a ton of time to memorizing which buttons do what and if you take a break for an extended time, you are back at the beginning of the learning curve. 

I fly mostly lower tech aircraft and helo's in air to ground missions, like the Huey and P-47.    Most of my flight sim time these days is on MSFS.  

Edited by John1

Yep.  I've put hundreds, if not thousands of hours in DCS since the first A-10C module came out ages ago.  It's pretty great, but the drawbacks are already outlined above.

I can do most stuff in the F-18 and the US warbirds.  My crowning achievement is to take a full load of fuel in the Hornet from the tanker in one hookup.  In my opinion, A2A refueling is the hardest skill to master in the game. 

and I thought flacon was difficult.   I have a logotech x 52 but am having  trouble programing it.   I managed to crash the  p 51 because I did not know to set theoil cooler to auto duh.     amazing graphics first one is a tamiya modelp3956409373-6.jpgp3956409375-6.jpg

I've been playing DCS since it first came out. I have about 500 hundreds hours spread across the FA-18 and F-14. I use a Virpil throttle and grip and track IR. You really have to chose one or two aircraft and stick with them if you want to become good at it. I'm waiting on the A-7 Corsair to come and then will ditch the F-14 as I find it more interesting dropping bobs than tangling with fighters. Apparently there's an A-6 in the works also. It's a great simulation game.

Edited by Maxim61

I’m well down that rabbit hole now. I’ve spent 100’s of hours in the F/A-18, and have recently started to study the F-16 in more depth than startup checklists and flying around. 
I’ve invested in a bunch of Winwing controllers, and a quite large screen to display it all on. 

53624992493_9f96bf4913_b.jpg

see what I mean? :lol:

impressive  I have a saitek(now logitech ) x52  which is not eay to program.     hmm no ruddr pedals although not really needed in the f 16   

4 hours ago, dashotgun said:

impressive  I have a saitek(now logitech ) x52  which is not eay to program.     hmm no ruddr pedals although not really needed in the f 16   

That was my rationale for not buying any yet. I’ve bound the rudder axis to one of the cursor controls on the throttle. 
In the future, I do plan to delve into the AH-64D, and will absolutely need those pedals.

I've downloaded it and tried it. The F-14 are super tempting. The idea you need to study to use the Sim is daunting, and I barely have time for models and my other stuff, so spending time to study how to fly is a low priority.

I get my Airplane fix from War Thunder, it arguably looks better, and you can just jump in have some fun and do something else.

shot-2024.02.23-18.44.50-2600x1463.jpg

shot-2024.03.24-22.36.31-2600x1463.jpg

On 3/31/2024 at 12:32 AM, ChuckD said:

Yep.  I've put hundreds, if not thousands of hours in DCS since the first A-10C module came out ages ago.  It's pretty great, but the drawbacks are already outlined above.

I can do most stuff in the F-18 and the US warbirds.  My crowning achievement is to take a full load of fuel in the Hornet from the tanker in one hookup.  In my opinion, A2A refueling is the hardest skill to master in the game. 

I watched Growler Jams on YouTube and you can see how taxing a mid-air refuel can be.

Argh! Refuelling, is the bane of my existence currently. With having new controllers and now Track IR, it’s like I’m learning the skill from scratch. 
I’m just about proficient with hose and drogue, although my approaches take longer than I’d like. 
It’s now boom refuelling with the Viper, and the keeping station, while glancing at the indicator lights, and keeping my reference points in their positions, is a whole new challenge. 

Having never dinked with VR, I kinda have to wonder how much the lack of true depth perception affects the ability to hold formation and things like that.  Supposedly it's a game changer, but I've always been happy with trackir.  With that you're still looking at a 2d screen.