Airfix 1/24 Hawker Tornado, 2nd prototype P5224

Hi all LSP people

This will be my first post here as I thought it would make sense to show my progress on LSP. This is what Ive posted so far on BM

A bit of catchup first.  

20231205-230644.jpg

It started in November of last year with building up the Rolls Royce Vulture X24. This was built from grafting together two Merlins and lots vaguely correct bits of wood/plastic, all while making sure it is correct in dimension. I used plans and photos from Old Machine Press

20231206-232900.jpg

Thin copper wire for the ignition leads, all 48 of them. 3d printer filament for coolant hoses and sprue for the intake manifolds

20240119-205238.jpg

Using as much reference as I could gather, I commenced the build of the Tornado in January which started with modifying the cockpit structure to take the vulture. The wings spars were cut off to move the wings into the Tornado's position

20240120-140124.jpg

New tubing and changing angle of the oil tank mounts was first, plus relocating that round piece (theres a name for it)

20240119-174624.jpg

At the time, this was the only photo I had of the Tornado's internal structure, courtesy of the Airframe & Miniature book on the Typhoon. This was vital in knowing where the engine should sit, how much one part may need modifying and (what I found later) how far back the wing needed to go. This was just from the experience of putting it all together, finding things that dont line up in relation to panel lines and other components. All that is documented is that the wing is located 3 inches lower than the Typhoon, however I could not get this to line up without pushing the wing 5mm back (this is up to speculation, however I am happy with where it is)

20240127-194533.jpg

The radiator outlets needed cutting down  and mountings relocated

20240129-200823.jpg

Four spoke rims from the 24 Hurricane were fitted.

20240203-000707.jpg

This is how she looked as of recent. Note the plasticard to flatten out the belly due to its lower mounting

20240203-000641.jpg

A solid hood was 3d printed. Windows cut from a pringles lid and aerial also from the Hurricane

20240203-001015.jpg

The Rotol propeller and spinner were also 3d printed and fitted to a Rotol hub, from a Hurricane again

20240129-233941.jpg

As of last week. Undercarriage covers now have blisters and extra rivets. No explanation as to what their origin is but all I know is that only the Tornado has them

GIF-240201-074055.gif

To reassure myself that this isnt a wildly inaccurate conversion I put this together to demonstrate wing position alignment and hood placement

Currently the time is being used to remake and reshape the wing fillets as well as sorting out the engine cowlings. As far as Im aware, this hasn't been attempted in this scale, probably due to being an expensive risk that needs full effort. Has anyone made a scale model of a Vulture engine too?

Hello Troy and welcome aboard. 

What a fantastic project. You're doing a fine job. 

I'll confess I've never heard of this aircraft before today. 

I'm eager to see how this one progresses. Keep it up. :clap2:

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Troy, from one first timer on LSP to another, good luck.

I’ve skimmed through your build on BM and it’s very impressive.You say that you are a twenty year old with only basic tools and a 3D printer, which at you age you will be more than capable of using, so I reckon you’ve got just about enough. Combined with your obvious enthusiasm you should be well set.

John

19 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Hello Troy and welcome aboard. 

What a fantastic project. You're doing a fine job. 

I'll confess I've never heard of this aircraft before today. 

I'm eager to see how this one progresses. Keep it up. :clap2:

Glad to be part of the community and thank you, support from others is always a great boost

Honestly nor did I until sometime last year I believe, considering Im obsessed Hawkers fat fighters

11 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Never seen a Tornado done before.  Your work looks excellent.  :thumbsup:

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

Yep, I do believe this is the first one to be done in this scale. Biggest Ive seen is in 1/32 scale, though that may be because of the price to even begin the project

Cheers

6 hours ago, dennismcc said:

This looks like an epic project, looks very interesting.

Cheers

Dennis

I cant wait myself to see how this turns out, once I am solid on where the engine should be! (Ive removed it about 4 times now :mental:)

5 hours ago, Shoggz said:

What a brilliantly ambitious project.

Thank you very much for sharing it with us - can't wait to see more!

A little bit loony Id say but I am confident to get this finished. The aircraft may have been a fundamental flop in the real world but it deserves some recognition

There will definitely be more!

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Troy, from one first timer on LSP to another, good luck.

I’ve skimmed through your build on BM and it’s very impressive.You say that you are a twenty year old with only basic tools and a 3D printer, which at you age you will be more than capable of using, so I reckon you’ve got just about enough. Combined with your obvious enthusiasm you should be well set.

John

Many thanks pal

Yep 20,  a sprite in comparison but picking everyone's knowledge

The printer is about the most advance thing I have honestly but as you said, most capable of using it

Cheers