Building the Border 1/35 Kate. Got paint!

quang

On 1/22/2024 at 3:39 PM, Brock said:

I'm stoked you to see panels with bent or textures of individual panel plates of fitted and riveted in place very good rendering of visual effects, I hope this can be kept while painting is applied and not to cover up those effects or is what I'm seeing a shadows of the camera? Has this kit seen any aftermarket photo etch sets or resin upgrades? Was this plane ever based on islands or strictly for carrier base?

You may be interested to see the shadow play on Kate’s skin. Chaps who like pre-shading will have a field day! :lol: 

IMG-5002.jpg

IMG-5006.jpg

IMG-5004.jpg

IMG-5005.jpg

BUILDING THE COCKPIT

For the sake of comprehension, a few quick words about the crew members, their positions in the cockpit and their roles during an attack.

The crew of three seated one behind the other under a single glazed canopy. They are a pilot, an teisatsu (observer) and a radio operator/gunner.

The pilot’s seat is attached to a pole, allowing him to raise his seat for take-off and landing. Fighter pilots dismissed Kate pilots as cart drivers because their planes were slow and idle. Yet flying the Kate required utmost concentration and split-second decision-making. During the torpedo or bomb drop, it was essential to fly absolutely level, with no pitch, yaw or roll otherwise the bomb would be off target.

The middle-seater, the teisatsu, acting as the plane commander, had the most complex job. He combined the functions of observer, navigator and bombardier. To improve his view, he could raise, lower and swivel his seat. He also has two small windows on the fuselage sides to illuminate his charts and manuals.

At the rear sat the radio-operator/machine gunner on a cheap folding chair that faced forward for radio operation. The radio on a Kate was rather good because when Fuchida’s plane broke radio silence and sent the message ‘tora tora tora’ to the carriers, the transmission was heard in Japan!

To use the machine gun, the rear-seater folded his chair, clipped it to the side of the cockpit, unstowed the gun and stood up to fire. He was normally tethered to the floor by his parachute cord but as crews did not use parachute during the Pearl Harbor attack, he had no attachment to the aircraft beyond his hands on the gun and his knees braced against the side of the fuselage.

Now to the pics.

Here are the crew stations as completed assemblies which together will form the interior of the fuselage. The assembled parts are given a basic coat of various greens, ready to be shaded and detailed afterwards.

I based the interior green of colour photos of captured IJN cockpits from Robert Mikesh  book.
I don’t know what happened to my pics as they’re actually greener in the flesh.

IMG-5011.jpg

Note the telescopic bomb sight (silver) and the post (green) for the teisatsu’s seat. PE seat belts still have to be added.
IMG-5013.jpg

Note gunner’s folding chair with canvas backing and teisatsu’s seat behind it.
IMG-5015.jpg

IMG-5017.jpg

IP waiting for individual instrument decals.
IMG-5018.jpg

IMG-5023.jpg

Stored machine-gun magazines. A sixth clip is readily mounted on the m.g. 
Note roll for extending wire antenna.
IMG-5019.jpg

IMG-5024.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

On 1/24/2024 at 9:39 AM, quang said:

You may be interested to see the shadow play on Kate’s skin. Chaps who like pre-shading will have a field day! :lol: 

IMG-5002.jpg

IMG-5006.jpg

IMG-5004.jpg

All looks a bit toy like and overdone really, especially the flaps but I'm sure under paint will look maybe better.

Great job on your cockpit as looks very nice.

Regards. Andy 

5 hours ago, monthebiff said:

All looks a bit toy like and overdone really, especially the flaps but I'm sure under paint will look maybe better.

I have to admit that the macro shots and the grazing light played a big part in it.
The purpose of these photos was to show how consistent the moulded details are.

Let’s wait and see how the whole effect look when the build is completed and the painting’s done. 
I’m pretty confident as IMO nothing looks more irrelevant than a smooth-skinned Kate. Sorry ladies! :P

Flaps look fine for me. They’re usually very beat up as they’re pushed into the air flow.

Though I would like to see wing surfaces to be intended on the lower side of the wings, since it’s the area exposed to overpressure. 

Can’t wait to get my hands on that kit 

30 minutes ago, Borsos said:

Do you know why no parachutes were worn on december 7?

We don’t know the exact reason. But it was related by numerous participants in the Hawaii operation as the Japanese called it.

2 hours ago, RKKA said:

Though I would like to see wing surfaces to be intended on the lower side of the wings, since it’s the area exposed to overpressure. 

The wing root segments are definitely more indented than the outer (foldable) portions. Could be the people at Border know something we don’t?

25 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Building up nicely, looks very neat.

Unfortunately most of it will not be apparent with the fuselage closed and the wings folded. Yet we all find obliged to do it, didn’t we? :P

1 hour ago, quang said:

Unfortunately most of it will not be apparent with the fuselage closed and the wings folded. Yet we all find obliged to do it, didn’t we? :P

All part of the fun and very satisfying.

Cheers

Dennis