Revell P-51D-5NA

Grunticus

Nice work so far, Leon!
Don't know if you know, but there is a nice ebook from klp, which covers most of the little hickups of the Revell kit.
Have you looked at the clear parts in your kit? Mine were badly deformed and I opted for a resin replacement from Aerocraft.

2 hours ago, Fanes said:

Nice work so far, Leon!
Don't know if you know, but there is a nice ebook from klp, which covers most of the little hickups of the Revell kit.
Have you looked at the clear parts in your kit? Mine were badly deformed and I opted for a resin replacement from Aerocraft.

I can heartily recommend the klp book. It certainly helped and influenced my recent build..

11 hours ago, Fanes said:

Nice work so far, Leon!

My trancperancies are A-ok luckily. I had read about that problem.

8 hours ago, Shoggz said:

I can heartily recommend the klp book. It certainly helped and influenced my recent build..

Thanks Richard, I might look into it, but so far everything has gone pretty smooth.

The IP with Revell's decal looks just fine, and alighnment with the dials is near perfection. No need for AM. Still needs further detailing with paint.

WQQmdn3.jpg

I've printed the missing HGW decal, it turned out just fine.

MZyPiLy.jpg

The cockpit assembly was fully completed today. It took some clamping to make it solid and tight and make sure it snuggly fits in to the fuselage, but overall it was a breeze. I must say this is certainly one of the most thought-out assembly sequence I remember, maybe the easiest I ever had to do. Great job, Revell and Radu.

2RlhhRU.jpg

GPU60TK.jpg

84vhgqT.jpg

Now, the proof is in the pudding. I was a little apprehensive when test-fitting the tub. But..it went in without a hitch. Thaks to Mike's advice @MikeMaben it went as good as I could possibly wish for. On the inside all points sit secure in their tabs. No glue yet of course.

YfbCtkD.jpg

The cockpit walls were painted and weathered with Tamiya black panel line enhancer, and mascara powder.

qEo7DXy.jpg?1

The Eduard decals arrived today, and a small but so very handy tool: a stand for my airbrush. It's quite heavy and solid, and oozes quality. I should have bought this a long time ago. Really handy.

oJeEZ4j.jpg

zymykx1.jpg

The large tab on the tail meant to be glued to the fuselage leaves a minor step, no matter how hard I press. I decided to cut the tab off and glue it straight on to the fuselage.

f23JriA.jpg

This gave me something easier to clean up. I repeated for the other side. I glued both edges with Tamiya Extra Thin, and they are practically melted together. I will reinforce with some superglue on the inside tomorrow, but I doubt it will give as-is.

RcV4pVZ.jpg

Cheers!

These panels do not fit very well (one thanks to my own doing). There are three different sets in the kit. The ones without cooling holes fit a lot better. I will use these and drill new cooling holes, and thin the panel so the holes look more to scale. I will drill and thin the ill-fitting ones first as a practice and to see if they can be used as templates.

9vXErMr.jpg

1L3zrMQ.jpg

The tail wheel well. It looks quite nice OOB.

yhYYnNC.jpg

The oil cooler / tail wheel well assembly is now finished. No problems here.

VOYNuFE.jpg?1

I've drilled the exhausts stacks open, it looks way better. Tedious, but worth it.

NDK7DUq.jpg

And painted. I had to break them loose again since you need to put te shrouds over the stack before glueing the stack onto the insert, otherwise the schroud will not go over the exhaust. The instruction show it clearly, I was just beeing daft.

zWCkh0R.jpg

Exhausts painted and fitted.

PExRrAe.jpg

The inner intake mouth. One can add the small spar after glueing the two halves together which is easier than te other way around. It slides into either hole upward or downward, and the you push it to te other end.Just be careful since it's small and fragile.

4UdIqUN.jpg

With everyting inside dry-fited time for another fuselage closing test-fit. No problems except between the oil-cooler exhasut and the tail wheel well. There's an un-closable gap (by force) of about 1mm. Sanding away what you can on the inner parts does not eleviate the problem. I will simlpy shim it and then sand it smooth. Since the transition from exhaust-to-fuseage is otherwise pretty good fit-wise, I dont want to take material away here. A shim is best I think.

choyoaB.jpg

z4Svl7N.jpg

The top side is free of such problems.

PEGsC6e.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Grunticus
spelling

Today I closed the fuselage. I glued things one / two at a time and took it slow. No unknown problems arose luckily.

LWO28Am.jpg

eCO9mJO.jpg

gHaL0Mj.jpg

f0DruSK.jpg

Since these photos I applied superglue to all seams and sanded them smooth.

I also did some test fitting of the wing. I found no obvious problems and all seems to fit well. I will airbrush the inside silver, with YZC ribbing and spar, as was seen on early Mustangs. Nice masking practice....

qozTe1F.jpg

fD3zVrP.jpg

grw4ooO.jpg

The minor seam aft of the duct was filled with stretched sprue.

EqypMzj.jpg

For the perforated plates on the lower cowling I made decals which will aid as guides for drilling 2x 32 holes in the solid plates (the ones that fit best of all the varieties supplied).

ePLU7cO.jpg

BvnhSa3.jpg

Cheers!

Youre making great progress on this!  I ended up throwing mine out as the fit was just too awful for me.  Every panel on the fuselage had some massive gap or step on it.  Same with the gun panels on the leading edge.  The final straw was the intake assembly on the bottom as it was a disastrously bad fit in places that were impossible to reach with a sanding stick.  So, into the bin it went. 

It looks like yours will fare better than mine did. 

Mine must have been somewhere in the middle of yours Leon and yours ChuckD. The intake assembly was a complete pain the arse to get right..

You're making good progress Leon - I'm enjoying the build a lot having just done one myself!