175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

JrLWay.png

This extract from the Operation Record Book (ORB) of 175 Squadron relates to this young man:

zfmvUZ.png

Pilot Officer Derek Leyland Stevenson flying this aeroplane:

9whKjd.jpg

on 19th August 1942.

tmf9cI.png

The Adjutant's summary reads as follows:

sKcp5a.png

and an extract that I've copied:

EcWMQM.png

What these excited young men didn't realise was that what was taking place beneath them was one of the biggest tragedies of the war in Europe, for this was Operation Jubilee, or the Dieppe Raid, when so many things went wrong and large numbers of soldiers were killed or captured:

JlW6ud.png

The only "positive" it seems that came out of this dismal event was knowledge of how NOT to do it for future events, ie D-Day.

Much more to come, including cutting plastic shortly!

w1Q22L.jpg

SMmOdw.jpg

Edited by mozart

17 minutes ago, mozart said:

zfmvUZ.png

Pilot Officer Derek Leyland Stevenson flying this aeroplane:

I must have written this in another place on this forum, but I met and talked at length with D.L Stevenson during an airshow in France in the 2000s or 90s, I don't know.
He was signing his book and I remember him as a very charming man, and I stayed a long time listening to him...
Souvenirs...

The story of a tragedy (in French, but with one click you can translate it easily) : Rescapé de la tragédie du « Cap Arcona » (sudouest.fr)

4 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Interesting back story, I’ll be following if I may.

John

Please do John.  The "halt", a small "station" where the train stops for passengers, would have been Moreton where I used to live, though the halt was actually a good mile or so out of the village.

Yes, that's the book Max
But mine's autographed!
I'll try to find it, but it might be at my father's place.
Note that the illustrator was careful not to draw the spinner or its color...
Coincidence?
Conspiracy?
I don't think so!  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Please do John.  The "halt", a small "station" where the train stops for passengers, would have been Moreton where I used to live, though the halt was actually a good mile or so out of the village.

Good choice Max Hurricanes have great appeal. I once rode down to Christchurch on one of my then first BMW motorcycle (R80RT) back in the late 80's and took a detour on the way back home to Moreton on probably the heaviest rain I had encountered ever in order to see and pay my respects at the grave of T.E Lawrence.

Derek

13 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Good choice Max Hurricanes have great appeal. I once rode down to Christchurch on one of my then first BMW motorcycle (R80RT) back in the late 80's and took a detour on the way back home to Moreton on probably the heaviest rain I had encountered ever in order to see and pay my respects at the grave of T.E Lawrence.

Derek

Indeed Derek, T E Lawrence (aka Lawrence of Arabia aka AC Shaw) is buried in the tiny churchyard at Moreton. I lived in Okerswood House which is just down the road from Lawrence’s home of Clouds Hill. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Furie said:

Thanks Denis! I’d seen the first one but not the other two, some really interesting stuff there, especially that some of the fighters had the white ID stripes on the nose but none in the first film did, and at least one of those was a 175 Squadron Hurricane.

SKEwQI.jpg

Edited by mozart

You're welcome, Max!
I don't know if you've been paying attention, but at one point there's a close-up of the Hurricane with mechanics at work, and we see chalk outlines of the white stripes for Operation "Jubilee".
Of course, just before the stripes were painted.
I think that's pretty rare!

g8bx.jpg