Devastator cockpit color

Although the Fleet reported that they had painted the cockpits Bronze Green, they had actually used black-tinted zinc chromate - AKA Green zinc chromate.  Had they added aluminum the color would have been callled Yellow Green.  Had they used a bit less black the color might have matched Interior Green.

In fact, the last four production aircraft from the original order and all fifteen aircraft on the second order left the factory with aluminized zinc chromate (no black pigment) - a bright pastel green.  The canopy frames on those aircraft were Bronze Green inside and out,

Cheers,

Dana

JWest,

I just finished mine and in all my research I came up with is interior  green. This color is also stated in the book "TBD Devastator in action" . Seeing the sunken wreck pics looks like interior green to me. Here is a picture of what I did. I will be posting the finished pics very soon. By the way its a really good kit.

WIP 8

Rod

Hi Rod,

Not a problem.  There can be endless discussions about color names and applications, and the new book updates that.

However, what really matters is how does the paint applied to a model appear, and your choice looks really good.  If I can ever make the time to build a TBD, I'll be very happy if mt cockpit looks as good as yours!

Cheers,

Dana

I'm not sure if Squadron has a copublishing or distribution agreement in the UK.  In the old days we could rely on Lionel Leventhal and Arms and Armour Press - those were truly great days with one of the best publishers!

Dana

(You might defray postage by buying multiple copies with friends and sharing postage.)

Edited by Dana Bell

Well, now I have some time to wait because I knocked one of my nice Airscale pe seats onto the floor and my puppy grabbed it.  Had to order another PE set from the UK, so that kit is on hold for a.couple weeks