Devastator cockpit color

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

One thing that stays obscure to me is the color finally used in the landing gear wells. I did not find anything about this anywhere! I can assume it was zinc chromate as the bomb bay...?

Or maybe they painted them the same color as the underside?  Something else to try to find.  I ordered Dana Bell's book and it is supposed to be delivered today, I'll let you know if it has anything.

Edited by jwest21

Hi Thierry,

The TBDs were deivered with aluminized enamel in the wheel wells.  There was little need to repaint them tinted zinc chromate, though anything is possible.  The underwater photos suggest that the aircraft may have repainted the wells Light Gray with the introduction of camouflage.

Cheers,

Dana

5 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Thierry,

The TBDs were deivered with aluminized enamel in the wheel wells.  There was little need to repaint them tinted zinc chromate, though anything is possible.  The underwater photos suggest that the aircraft may have repainted the wells Light Gray with the introduction of camouflage.

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks Dana! I went back to your book last pages and now I'm seeing what you meant. So, the ones of my model will be light gray.

:thumbsup:

Thierry

Topside color of Glue Gray in the wing fold areas (VT-8 at Midway):

ms31x0w.jpg

Also note:

The top color wrapped around the leading edge with a wavy demarcation.

Wheel covers in Glue Gray.

Torpedo in a dirty bronze color with a light gray forward end and natural plywood for the box fins. 

HTH,

D

1 hour ago, D Bellis said:

Topside color of Glue Gray in the wing fold areas (VT-8 at Midway):

ms31x0w.jpg

Also note:

The top color wrapped around the leading edge with a wavy demarcation.

Wheel covers in Glue Gray.

Torpedo in a dirty bronze color with a light gray forward end and natural plywood for the box fins. 

HTH,

D

Thanks. I know that picture and it looks some planes on the Lexington had blue grey wing folds whereas they were light grey on other ones:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ndtvimg.com%2Fi%2F2018-03%2Fuss-lexington-afp_650x400_71520336974.jpg&tbnid=ydnEQXLIf7IB4M&vet=1&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ndtv.com%2Fworld-news%2Fwreckage-of-world-war-2-aircraft-carrier-uss-lexington-found-1820323&docid=Pzn2ZlkNO6-q_M&w=650&h=400&itg=1&hl=en&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F2

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks. I know that picture and it looks some planes on the Lexington had blue grey wing folds whereas they were light grey on other ones:

To me, it looks like Blue Gray in those pics, too.

Although I'm not sure that pics of underwater wrecks is anything close to a viable reference for colors. They certainly don't trump period color photographs taken in broad daylight, that's for sure. ;) 

HTH,

D

1 hour ago, D Bellis said:

To me, it looks like Blue Gray in those pics, too.

Although I'm not sure that pics of underwater wrecks is anything close to a viable reference for colors. They certainly don't trump period color photographs taken in broad daylight, that's for sure. ;) 

HTH,

D

Look at the wing fold at the bottom of the image and you will see a difference of color in comparison with the wing bluish one. To me this is not the same hue.

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Look at the wing fold at the bottom of the image and you will see a difference of color in comparison with the wing bluish one. To me this is not the same hue.

If that's what you see in a color-corrected underwater pic of wreckage, then by all means use that for your reference. 

I wouldn't, but I generally don't go looking for caveats and exceptions, either - especially in unreliable references. 

Cheers,

D

Well, as all the colours look reasonably balanced on the various pictures of the Lexington wrecks I have no reason to not consider them. There is no excessive red or blue dominance in them. Moreover, Devastators had been fully painted in light grey in 1940 before having their upper sides repainted in blue grey a year later. So seeing some not very visible areas staying in light grey is not surprising to me; more particularly if you consider there was probably Iess than a year between the two painting sessions of some airframes. I do not see where there is any exception there. Did you look at the last Devastator in action book?